Removing fan leaves?

No not at all , Take them all and your have some small buds.
Fan leaves = solar planels.
Take some bt defo not all.
My advise check a few journals see the results of both ways.
Your find anyone that takes them all end up with skinny ladies and small buds.

No not at all , Take them all and your have some small buds.
Fan leaves = solar planels.
Take some bt defo not all.
My advise check a few journals see the results of both ways.
Your find anyone that takes them all end up with skinny ladies and small buds.
That’s what I thought. But my landlord came over last night and starting pulling fan leaves off saying they take up the nutrients that could go to the bud. But I thought the buds use the leaves for nitrogen and that’s why the yellow and die near the end. Thanks so much I’m so glad I put this up before going to town on my girl.

I’ve removed a boat load over the season, in small amounts, at least a week apart.
I was experimenting with air circulation and allowing light to areas that otherwise would be blocked.
50% of the Maples around here are already yellow. Much like 2 of my 4 :)
Looks strange to me, The lemon/lime contrast however all of the sugar leaves are still a beautiful green.

I would say most of them yes. I remove fan leaves myself but only if needed to see bud sites. And lollipop at the start of flower and maybe up to the 2/3 week I kinda leave it be then.

50% of the Maples around here are already yellow. Much like 2 of my 4
Two different reasons for the yellow.

The maple trees are perennial and as part of the growing cycle will form a layer between the stems and the leaves. Essentially, they are shutting off the leaf allowing it to slowly die. The yellow in the maple leaf is caused by a lack of chlorophyll which leads to an end to photosynthesis in that leaf. The tree is done for the season. Otherwise it is a strain and the trees stems, the trunk and especially the root system to support the leaves over the winter with its short days, etc. Just a bit of trivia but evergreen trees are different because the needles are the leaves and those plants will attempt to support the needles all winter; the roots do not go dormant.

With the Marijuana plant the situation is not the same. The plant is an annual and if grown outside it will die off during the average winter. However, while it is still flowering it still needs a certain amount of nitrogen to grow the sugar leaves and the buds. In containers or in marginal soil the plant cannot get enough nitrogen, especially if the roots have already started to shut down, and the next best thing is to draw nitrogen and some of the other nutrients from the older fan leaves. Eventually there is nothing left, there is no nitrogen in the leaf and without nitrogen there is no photosynthesis so the leaf turns pure yellow. The plant grows a layer of cells which help the leaf fall off. The plant will then go to next largest leaf and start the process there.

Some growers will be able to grow their plant all the way to harvest without yellow leaves. They often need large containers, about 15 gallons or more, or in a really soil if grown outside. Even as the root system starts to slow down there are enough water soluble nutrients and an active micro-organism population so the leaves stay green. Or, at the most just start to go to a pale green-yellow color.

Two different reasons for the yellow.

The maple trees are perennial and as part of the growing cycle will form a layer between the stems and the leaves. Essentially, they are shutting off the leaf allowing it to slowly die. The yellow in the maple leaf is caused by a lack of chlorophyll which leads to an end to photosynthesis in that leaf. The tree is done for the season. Otherwise it is a strain and the trees stems, the trunk and especially the root system to support the leaves over the winter with its short days, etc. Just a bit of trivia but evergreen trees are different because the needles are the leaves and those plants will attempt to support the needles all winter; the roots do not go dormant.

With the Marijuana plant the situation is not the same. The plant is an annual and if grown outside it will die off during the average winter. However, while it is still flowering it still needs a certain amount of nitrogen to grow the sugar leaves and the buds. In containers or in marginal soil the plant cannot get enough nitrogen, especially if the roots have already started to shut down, and the next best thing is to draw nitrogen and some of the other nutrients from the older fan leaves. Eventually there is nothing left, there is no nitrogen in the leaf and without nitrogen there is no photosynthesis so the leaf turns pure yellow. The plant grows a layer of cells which help the leaf fall off. The plant will then go to next largest leaf and start the process there.

Some growers will be able to grow their plant all the way to harvest without yellow leaves. They often need large containers, about 15 gallons or more, or in a really soil if grown outside. Even as the root system starts to slow down there are enough water soluble nutrients and an active micro-organism population so the leaves stay green. Or, at the most just start to go to a pale green-yellow color.
Fair @SmokingWings and thank you spending that time to explain.
I got off on a bad start here and have just been hanging on most of the ride.
Goal for round 2 is a much more prepared plan.
Gets confusing though for a noob when some say taper off the N late in flower and you’re saying keep up the N.
2 of 4 here are still very green. Same soil, same feed cycle and same size.
So I don’t know what to make of it.
It is chilling off here. Highs of 70F, lows of 45F.
I’m still unsure of that plays a part in any of it with the low sun and cloudy days.

Gets confusing though for a noob when some say taper off the N late in flower and you’re saying keep up the N.
Taper it off because the plant still needs some. If it can't get it from through the root system it will take it from the fan leaves. Problems start when some growers think that tapering off feeding Nitrogen means to eliminate all of it. That is what I meant when I said the plant still needs a certain amount while in flowering. It is the Nitrogen that gives it the green color and our sugar leaves are green as are a lot of the calyx covering, etc. Photosynthesis cannot take place without Nitrogen.

It is all a balancing act.

Fair @SmokingWings and thank you spending that time to explain.
I got off on a bad start here and have just been hanging on most of the ride.
Goal for round 2 is a much more prepared plan.
2 of 4 here are still very green. Same soil, same feed cycle and same size.
So I don’t know what to make of it.
It is chilling off here. Highs of 70F, lows of 45F.
I’m still unsure of that plays a part in any of it with the low sun and cloudy days.
Tell me about it… I haven’t had a sunny day in two weeks. I keep praying to the gods for a last burst of sunshine and hot weather.lol My girl needs some more… The way she’s looking she won’t be done till November. I’m pretty sure she’s OG God Bud so they can withstand a little cold. I hope

Back
Top Bottom