Repaired 1000 watt hps

Gelite

A couple of months back I dropped one of my 1000 watt hps bulbs. It knocked off the screw fitting and broke the glass where the 2 leads go into the bulb. It definitly broke it where it's wasn't vacuume sealed. Well today I used some liquid nails to close the hole and re seal it. To my surprise it fired right up. I can't really tell if it is ass bright as it was cause I usually run 2 but it does cause lines on my cameras LCD. I always thought these were gas bulbs but all the gas had to escape. When it broke. Also if the tube is a vacuume then wouldn't it have shattered when it broke. Any reason I shouldn't use this bulb?

Holy shit! I did a little research and found out that fucking with these bulbs is dangerous as shit! I found out that when a bulb breaks it can spontaneously combust. The sodium touches air and it can explode. Apparently garbage trucks have caught fire in this way. I had no fuckin idea. We should prolly educate growers about this cause I been growing for years and I had no idea. That bulb sat on the top of my WOODEN china cabinet for months. It could have exploded or caught fire just by being exposed to air. Honestly I don't even know why it's working but I won't be trying to use it. these bulbs do have gas inside but it's very little. Mostly mercury which don't want footing around your grow room. Any gas in this bulb had to have escaped. The hole was tiny but any hole is bad. I think I'll spend $30 and just get a new bulb. I would highly recommend NOT doing what I did and if u break an hps bulb go bury it somewhere in the desert. Don't keep it around your house for damn sure!

Back
Top Bottom