Residents of Cascade React to Medical Marijuana Moratorium

You can add another Montana city to the list of communities that has put a moratorium on medical marijuana. Cascade is now the latest city to impose a moratorium, which means no businesses can sell or distribute medical marijuana within city limits. And residents are not staying quiet about the city's decision.

Cheryl Loeffler has been using medical marijuana for the past year now. She says it is the only remedy that has been able to help with her pain.

Loeffler says, "In 2003, I was diagnosed with scleroderma, a skin tightening disease. It really effects your joints and pretty much anything digestive. It helps me to get up. It helps me by with my children. Prescription drugs, all they want to do is numb you, where the marijuana, I smoke it and instantly feel better and it doesn't zombie me out in my chair or my couch, to where I can't do anything."

In a 4-1 vote Wednesday night, the Cascade Town Council passed a six month moratorium on medical marijuana. This means the town's only medical marijuana business, Electric City Caregivers, has to shut down until further notice.

NewsChannel 5 tried to speak with Town Councilor Murry Moore on camera, but he denied that request. In the moratorium, city officials write that medical marijuana could have a detrimental effect on neighborhoods or schools in the area and it could also decrease the price of homes. Residents in the city had mixed reactions to the council's decision.

Ben Hardy says, "I think it's goofy anytime you have conflicting federal, state and county laws. They should figure some blanket law out that works for everybody."

Charles Cornelius notes, "The state legislature handed these municipalities a bag of worms and no one quite knows how to deal with it yet. And until they do, until the legislature clears up some of the legal aspects of this, I believe that they did the right thing."

Arlene Lathrop says, "It is going to effect the patients. A lot of them can't travel, its too hard for them to travel, they cant afford to travel to get that medication.

And for people like Loeffler, who is now out of her medical marijuana, they are forced to go elsewhere, for the time being. She says, "Just to cut us off completely, ban us from what we need, that's not right."

Over the next six months, the council plans on looking at zoning issues when it comes to medical marijuana. They say, during that time they will make a decision based on what is best for the health and safety of their residents.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: KFBB-TV
Copyright: 2010 Max Media of Montana
Website: Residents of Cascade React to Medical Marijuana Moratorium

Back
Top Bottom