Reverse osmosis water users

vermonstah

So I have access to free R/o water. The tap here only contains chlorine which usually evaps out in 24 hours when I fill 5 gallon buckets to sit. I guess the fluoride they add to isn't really an issue for me so far. I'd like to try using the r/o water but I am concerned about all the minerals being stripped out of the water. Has anyone found a decent enough product that reintroduces those vital minerals_elements that get stripped away back into water for the plants? Thankyou ahead of time btw.

Sent from my LGL33L using 420

If your tap water works and already contains the minerals you need, why do you want to spend money on an additive that's already in the water?

Because in the event I need another option I want to learn. Please don't take this the wrong 21st but I'm looking for good information here not folks questioning my thought process

Because in the event I need another option I want to learn. Please don't take this the wrong 21st but I'm looking for good information here not folks questioning my thought process

Your first sentence in this post would have been an adequate and friendlier response. Peace brother.

Well do you have any info to offer on the subject? Btw there was no disrespect intended. Regardless of how it may have come across to you.

You didn't mention what nutrients you use or the medium that you use so it's difficult to be specific. Most quality nutes have every mineral for plant growth, however most people that use r/o water have to supplement it with either cal/mag for added calcium and magnesium or Epsom salts for magnesium alone. Both of those minerals are abundant in tap water and cannabis requires a lot of magnesium - especially in flower.

I am soil/soiless but never hydro kinda farmer. Some strains and calendula flowers I grow in sunshine mix. I also have a worm farm and source my macro nutes from my vermicompost piles as much as possible.

One thing I notice alot here with some grows is a salt buildup in soils. Or what may appear to be a lock out of some sort that I was thinking may have been due to water conditions?

There are only 3 things that people add back that do not "just come" in the vast majority of nute lines. The ones that don't offer all of them like Advanced Nutrients have it included in the line.

Like you said all that fun stuff is good to have but not really necessary for a 4 month grow. All you NEED beyond your standard nute program is some Cal / Mag supplement and a Silica supplement.

Everyone makes them and they are pretty much all the same.

If you are in soil you can avoid the Cal mag with a good super soil. Most of them include the proper ratio of Dolomite lime to avoid need to add more later.

Silica is a tough one. It is the most abundant mineral on the plant and in just about everything but getting it out all by itself is kinda hard and just best to buy it in the bottle I think.

:peace:

Silica is Highly Alkaline and comes almost always mixed with Potash to bring it down a bit. Potash it where most potassium fertilizer comes from so for a bonus just about all silica additives are giving you some potassium.

But the reason I am adding another post is to just say that I use my silica as my UP adjustment when adjusting my solutions. It is much easier to use that the blue stuff from GH. So I never worry about adding it as I get a little in here and there and it all works out. In soil it takes a while to break down so it is good to add it early.

Contact your local water supply source for a report on what is in your tap water; using a ppm meter reintroduce the minerals in similar quantities based on what the report tells you is in your water.

Depending on your nutrient line it may have a version that works with RO water without the need to reintroduce any additional minerals.

Most RO users add some form of calcium plus magnesium product to replace that which the RO system removes. My plants do not seem to need additional calcium so I don't supplement for it. I do add magnesium though in very small amounts on the order of 0.7ml/gal using mag-pro from Dyna Gro.

If you decide to use a silica product, add it first when mixing your nutrients. I use 2.6ml/gal of pro-tekt a Dyna Gro product and see outstanding results.

I still think if your water report has Calcium and Magnesium levels reported you can easily figure out what needs to go back in. There are a ton of products out there that have differing quantities of each or you can find the ones that are just one or the other. If you grow fine on tap water a good sediment filter and carbon filter will give you nice results without any waste that comes with using RO water. This is just another option you might consider.

Best regards...

Silica is Highly Alkaline and comes almost always mixed with Potash to bring it down a bit. Potash it where most potassium fertilizer comes from so for a bonus just about all silica additives are giving you some potassium.

But the reason I am adding another post is to just say that I use my silica as my UP adjustment when adjusting my solutions. It is much easier to use that the blue stuff from GH. So I never worry about adding it as I get a little in here and there and it all works out. In soil it takes a while to break down so it is good to add it early.

I had a good grower and friend that used to be a member here tell me about the silica and using it as ph up. That's some good advice right there. I like all dyna grow products, I'm using Docs now so that stuff is sitting. But, good stuff they make.

Reps for that, good info there. :Namaste:

Reading some other comments,,, I also tend to water on the low end of the ph spectrum,, but, I don't check anymore with docs -- that's all been worked out.

Back
Top Bottom