RO or Alkaline?

steve1

420 Member
I get my water from one these ice and water stations near my house. I’ve always used RO and add Calmag and the nutrients. After that, the ph is usually around 5.6 so I have to add to the water to bring the ph up. I find it harder to ph up than down. Are there any cons in using an alkaline water with a higher ph so that after the nutrients are added they may bring the ph down as they do with RO? Do y’all use commercially available ph adjusters or natural such as baking soda or lemon juice?

I avoid "homemade" pH adjusters like the plague, in favor of substances that are far more stable instead of having a temporary effect.

Just how alkaline is your water? I've never used source water that had a pH greater than 8.5, and that might have been on the edge (so to speak). But it really depends on what's IN that water. What does your annual water report state? Or, if it's coming from your own private well instead of a local municipal supply, what does your water analysis report state?

Also, what's preventing you from using some tap water with some from the fancy machine? It's not like you only have the choice of using one or the other. When I was using the questionable water, that's what I did, sometimes (when I could afford it). I used approximately one part "0 PPM" water to two parts tap water. That was done in order to drop the percentage of total dissolved solids, but the same principle seems to apply.

My tap water is pH 7.6 hardness 180 mg/L and all I have ever used is phosphoric acid to lower pH. Trying to raise water pH containing hardness will precipitate the hardness ions usually. I have never added cal mag to a grow in 40 yrs

I’ve only been growing a few years. I was always told when using RO water I should add cal mag. I’m not sure what the ph of the alkaline water is, I was more concerned as what else is in the water. As far as tap water, does the chlorine and additives make a difference?

If using RO water you need cal mag. If using coco you need cal mag. If using tap water with reasonable tds (dissolved solids) in soil probably no cal mag needed. I use hydro and chlorine has never been an issue from the tap water

Back
Top Bottom