RO water with 6th stage Alkaline Filter?

Java

Did Some searching but couldn't find a answer to this question. I know when using RO water you need to add cal / mag when growing in coco. But if you using a 6th stage Alkaline filter that adds back minerals such as ionized calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium ion. Do these filters add enough Cal / Mag to drop adding it or cut back the amount needed to be added to feedings? Or maybe there is a good reason not to run the 6th stage alkaline Filter. Your input will be greatly appreciated , Thanks

I am pretty sure (but not 100%) that last "filter" just puts trace elements for taste. I hit my girls with enough cal/mg to turn the water an unpleasant color and I am 99.999% sure that the filter does not add that much! If you are using LED ad even more cal/mg :cheesygrinsmiley:

Yeah i would say it is best to leave the Alkaline filter off RO water for growing. I found some specs and the alkaline filter is supposed to add 23ppm of sodium. In hydro i found info on sodium toxicity where they say 30ppm of sodium will start to cause problems for low tolerant plants Some of the more sodium tolerant plants like mint can handle 50 ppm of sodium before it starts to compromise growth. I am pretty sure those toxic PPMs levels drop when using soil. So a little to close for comfort for me.

Really the only reason i have RO is cause we had flooding this last spring and that got into the drinking water. There was a boil your water advisory if affect for awhile. So the water company really jacked up the chlorine. Stuff is nasty, i hate tasting chlorine in my water. I am going to add the alkaline filter to the RO unit and start using the tap water bubbled off for 24 hours for the plants now my tap water has gone back down to 33ppm. Going to leave the RO water for humans and pets.

Back
Top Bottom