Root Rot

SOxCAL

Hey everyone I'm new to growing and I have root rot. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to kill it. I'm in the fourth week of veg if that helps any.

myself i have had root-rot i grow in soil in containers, for me when i get it its because to much water not enough drainage in container, i seem to always get a couple of containers that just don't drain good enough i can always tell when i have it because the container starts to get very heavy & the plant stops growing, all i do is transplant and sure e-nuff when i pull the plant out of the container all the soil in the bottom half of the container is soaking wet. once i transplant the plant it always takes off & starts growing like crazzy when you take the plant out of your container just make sure to get rid of a lot of the wet soil around the root ball, and when your done easy on the water,
hope this helps l8ter.
rnwy29erclr

Here's some great advice from some person at EHow - they can sum it up better than I can:

You're not screwed, but you do need to act quickly in order to fix this problem.

How to Fix Root Rot

Root rot is a common problem in gardening that usually kills the plant. One plant with root rot can infect an entire planting bed, so it is important to identify and treat root rot quickly. Root rot is caused by harmful bacteria or fungi that attack and rot the roots of a plant, killing it. Typical symptoms of root rot in a plant include yellow leaves followed by rapid death of the plant. Prevent and help treat root rot quickly in just a few simple steps.

Things You'll Need:
Garden gloves
Gardening tools (spade, shovel)
Soil drainage material
Oven
Oven bag
Meat thermometer
Bucket
Water

. 1

Remove the affected plant from the plant pot and set aside. Remove all other plants from the soil, because it is contaminated and will need to be replaced. Set the plant with root rot aside, away from the other plants.
. 2
Rinse the roots of the healthy plants in 75-degree water to remove the existing soil.
. 3
Mix sterilized drainage material like rocks, gravel or broken pieces of clay pot into your sterile soil to improve drainage. If you are using a container to grow your plants, put 2 to 3 inches of drainage material on the bottom of the pot to improve soil drainage.
. 4
Fill the container or growing area half full of soil and drainage mix. Gently place the plant in the planting area and hold it in place as you gently fill soil around its roots. Once the plant is stabilized and the growing container is full to within 1 to 2 inches of the top, give the soil a little pat to gently pack it in and even it out.
. 5
Water your newly replanted plant liberally and watch the water drain to make sure that its stagnant, root-rot encouraging water is no longer stopped up in your growing area.

Sterilizing soil
. 1
Sterilize the new soil. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
. 2
Place the soil in an oven bag like that which you would use to bake turkey and add a cup or two or water until the soil is moist, not runny. Seal the oven bag. Poke a meat thermometer into the soil at least 2 inches deep to measure the temperature.
. 3
Bake the soil at 200 degrees until the soil has been at 170 degrees for 30 minutes. If the soil begins to exceed 170 degrees before the time is up, turn the oven down or temporarily off to adjust the temperature.
. 4
Turn the oven off and allow the soil to cool inside the oven until it reaches a safe handling temperature; typically 110 degrees or below. The soil will be hot enough to burn you until it has been allowed to cool to this point.
. 5
Remove the soil from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature before using it.

that was some great info stonercool but 9 out of 10 times if your growing in containers
i find that over watering and not enuff drainage to be the culprit, i would just transplant
first and get rid of all the wet soil off the root ball when done transplanting your plant will just need a few days to rebound, i think this is much easier then the shake & bake method you read about, just my 2 cents rnwy

Back
Top Bottom