Ross Police Officer Forced Out Over Marijuana Plant

MedicalNeed

Ross police were stunned to find one of their own officers tending what appeared to be a marijuana plant, a department source said today.

Surveillance video from a motion-sensitive camera showed a man identified as former Patrolman Richard D. White, 58, watering a two-foot-tall plant. The small camera, similar to those used to photograph wildlife at night, had been set up in a nearby tree.

The source asked not to be identified while the investigation into the case is continuing.

Mr. White, a 30-year veteran of the force, resigned Aug. 23 after a meeting with Chief Ralph Freedman. Mr. White, who has not been charged with any offense, is eligible to retire.

A woman who answered the phone at Mr. White's home said he had no comment to make.

Township police came across the marijuana plant by accident during a training exercise with police dogs, Chief Freedman said. The dogs and their handlers were working in a secluded area of the township near Cemetery Lane.

He declined to provide additional details.

All information on the case was turned over to the office of District Attorney Stephen Zappala, Chief Freedman said

Mike Manko, a spokesman for the district attorney, confirmed that the office had received a request from Ross police for assistance in the investigation.

In an interview broadcast on WTAE TV, Mr. White said he had watered the plant after he came across it accidentally and noted that it looked dry. He said he realized he had made a mistake, adding he returned some days later and pulled it out.

Ross police had set up the camera several weeks ago in hopes of gathering information on who had planted or was caring for the plant, the police source said.

It was no secret among Ross police officers that the department had installed a camera. The topic had been discussed during daily roll calls.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Post-Gazette.com
Author: Len Barcousky
Copyright: 1997 - 2010 PG Publishing Co., Inc.
Website:Ross police officer forced out over marijuana plant

hmmm, I wonder, if I were caught watering a marijuana plant would there be no charges filed against me? and if I were caught by my place of employment would I still be eligible to retire from that job or would I just be fired?

Back
Top Bottom