S.F. Sheriff: Decriminalize Marijuana Now

Sherriff Mike Hennessey accepted Carol Ruth Silver's resignation from his department over her concerns that the War on Drugs is an unjust failure that ought to be called off. But he sympathizes with her contentions.

When asked if he believes that drugs should be legalized, he replied "Probably," and went on to state "I think marijuana should be decriminalized." If this were to come about, it would certainly save Hennessey and his office a bit of work.

Hennessey -- San Francisco's Sheriff since 1979 -- said he's not ready to jump on board with Silver's further suggestions of legalizing any and all drugs, regulating them, and taxing them. "I'd like to give more thought to h****n and m**h and that kind of stuff. Also, I think it'd be very hard to regulate it and tax it."

The sheriff noted, however, that Assemblyman Tom Ammiano is hoping to introduce legislation that would legalize -- and tax -- marijuana, "so the legislators of California will have a chance to look at this on the marijuana level."

It seems like a political stretch -- but, these days, who can just say no to a potential revenue source?

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: San Francisco Weekly
Author: Joe Eskenazi
Copyright: 2009 Village Voice Media

Back
Top Bottom