Sanders Pushes Marijuana Reform In Democratic Platform

Katelyn Baker

But Sanders did not concede to or praise Clinton, something many Democrats would like to see before the Democratic National Convention next month to fully unify the party heading into the heat of the fall campaign.

When asked if he would vote for Clinton in November, Sanders responded with one word: "Yes".

But Sanders has yet to call on his supporters to vote for Clinton and has not said whether he would campaign on her behalf. "I'm not saying that they changed the rules". In addition to calling for the descheduling of marijuana and pushing the federal government to respect state cannabis laws, Sanders said he would personally vote for legalization if it were on the ballot in his state.

During the course of his campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination, Sanders has staked out a marijuana law reform position that goes further than any other serious candidate has.

"I have no doubt that a strong, well-organized grass-roots movement can. defeat the establishment and that is precisely what we have got to do and what the political revolution is about", he said.

The panel also debated language suggested by Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., a Sanders' supporter, that would urge the next president to adopt a model executive order related to wages provided by government contractors. "I think Trump in so many ways would be a disaster for this country if he were to be elected president".

"I think the system has many, many flaws, but we knew what we were getting into", Sanders told Cuomo.

Sanders, a U.S. Senator from Vermont, in his hourlong speech, railed against presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump by name, pledging to do "everything I can" to prevent the real estate mogul from winning. At turns, they broke into "Bernie!" chants.

Bernie Sanders may have lost the Democratic nomination for the White House, but he's determined to tear up the party's leadership by the grassroots-with New York's at the top of the list.

During Friday's Morning Joe interview, Sanders indicated his focus going forward was to ensure Trump is defeated and to help shape the Democratic platform that will be adopted at the party's July convention in Philadelphia.

And if anyone in the audience belived Sanders will be sidelined by the Trump-Clinton election, he tried to dispel the notion. Russ Feingold, who is trying to win back his old seat in Wisconsin, and Florida congressional candidate Tim Canova, who is challenging Democratic National Committee Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who represents a Fort Lauderdale-area district. She says she wants to gather more evidence about how legalization is being implemented in states that have ended prohibition before she decides whether to personally support it.

marijuanabusinessassoci.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Sanders Pushes Marijuana Reform In Democratic Platform
Author: Hannah Rogers
Photo Credit: Marijuana Business Association

Back
Top Bottom