Seedlings leaves pointing up..not growing?

jrsaces

This seed sprouted on 7/22. The first set of true leaves are pointing straight up to where they are just about in the "closed" position, and look like they can't be getting much light. It also seems like it has stopped growing. I have not noticed any new growth in 2 days now.

I am using a 400w mh which you can see from the pics is about 12" or so away form the plant. Since my initial thought was the leaves were stretching for the light, I have added a 42w daylight cfl that is positioned just inches from the seedling.

I am not using nutes just yet as I am waiting for a recently planted seed to pop, so it's just plain ph'ed water @5.8 and 70 deg, a massive amount of bubbles in res, and a feeder line butted directly against the side of the rockwool.

Humidity is a little low at around 50% (that's with a humidifier) and my temps never reach 90 deg.

I just don't get it....what could I be doing wrong?

rsz_100_23811.jpg

rsz_100_2380.jpg

rsz_100_23791.jpg

rsz_100_23781.jpg

Thanks for your quick reply WarBux.

I have turned off my mh lamp for now and just going with the cfl's to start. That has lowered the temps down to 70-75deg. Humidity is also up to 70% or more.

Still no new growth. I'm starting to get very frustrated.

the set up looks like it should work to me. the seedling looks healthy. i would just be patient and hold off on any nutes and just a heads up on the cfl. they don't do well in that reflecter you have it in...they over heat and burn out. be patient and good luck

Pot Plant Babies are born reaching up looking for light and food just like human babies are born reaching up looking for their mamas and for food.
But neither are to be started on a FULL MEAL DEAL!
Your babies look very normal to me, but I'd agree the 400 watts is way too much, too soon.
After you see a 2nd node, I'd give them 1/6 to 1/4 mild dose of nutes, whatever your nutes reccommend for seedlings.

And for the future, a simple rule of thumb,
an old grower friend named Uncle Ben taught me

if they are reaching up (not your babies, but more larger plants)
if the leaves are reaching UP, they are wanting something, like more food.
If they are pointing DOWN, they have been fed too much.

Baby plants are squirrelly! They's bend this way and the next day that way. Pay no attention. I see a fan on them? Are they bending away from the fan? If so, they are just doing what comes naturally. If it really bugs you turn the tank 180 and they'll go back the other way. All that movement is just stregthening the stem and is good for it.

Remember no matter what, no nutes until you have 2 full sets of leaves. And as Roseman says up mean feed me, down says I'm full and flat and shiney says I'm dandy! Early vegging is always the most traumatic for a new grower. Chill, they're weeds!

As soon as they gets roots set in the cube they will grow a little but when those roots hit the water things pick up in a hurry.

Thanks everyone. I'm just getting worried because I haven't seen any new growth in a long time. I mean, even this morning (7/31), it looks exactly the same as it did 3 days ago. Just seems strange.

Once again the Deep Water Culture to the rescue....Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I'm just getting worried because I haven't seen any new growth in a long time. I mean, even this morning (7/31), it looks exactly the same as it did 3 days ago. Just seems strange.

Once again the Deep Water Culture to the rescue....Thanks!

This is the time to be checking the flow of water from the tubes to the cubes, balancing the pH and checking thetemerature of the room and water.

By tomorrow, they will have given you another node, hoepfully. .

Back
Top Bottom