Sen. Warren: Medical Marijuana May Be Answer To Opioid Crisis

Robert Celt

Massachusetts senior senator said "medical marijuana may be a viable alternative" way to treat those in pain and help to tackle the "opioid crisis."

"One way to tackle the opioid crisis is to invest in more research on alternative pain therapies, including physical therapies, and new drugs that don't have abuse potential," said Sen. Elizabeth Warren. "Medical marijuana may also be a viable alternative. The truth is we just don't know."

Sen. Warren gave her statement during a Feb. 24 hearing entitled: "Opioid Use Among Seniors – Issues and Emerging Trends."

"Twenty-three states have enacted laws permitting the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes, which means it is being prescribed for pain right now today," said Sen. Warren.

"But serious research on the potential benefits and drawbacks of medical marijuana is largely blocked by outdated federal laws and policies," said Sen. Warren.

The Massachusetts Democrat said she has sent numerous letter to federal agencies "asking that they reduce these barriers but so far these agencies have taken virtually no action to expand research opportunities."

She said she also asked the Center for Disease Control and Prevention to "step up" with more information on "how medical marijuana might impact the opioid epidemic."

Sen. Warren said "it is irresponsible not to study the science."

Senator_Warren.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Sen. Warren: Medical Marijuana May Be Answer To Opioid Crisis
Author: Susan Petroni
Photo Credit: None found

The US government gets in their own dam way. What else is new? Let's just let people suffer and cost the current healthcare system more and more money with treatments of horrid side effects of modern medicine. I feel so bad for those suffering needlessly. I am mad!
Wake up people!

Well, all we can do is get out there and vote. Tell everyone it's now or never with voting in people who actually have compassion for those of us in pain.

I love Senator Warren - she is a breath of fresh air concerning MMJ. Finally, an advocate with a heart and common sense.

I have been in the same room with Senator Warren a couple of times. She is the same person in person as on TV and in emails. The woman is as passionate, reasonable, and considerate as you would expect. At the last mneeting (18 months ago?) she was asked is she supported federal rescheduling, she said no - because she didn't know enough about marijuana being a medicine but that she would listen to the idea if someone could explain the issue to her. She would demand facts. - That's what I like about her letter to the CDC, she is demanding facts and requesting studies.

Back
Top Bottom