Shaping Plants For An Enclosed Growbox

mmclient

I've been growing in an enclosed BCNL Bloombox for a couple years and have learned, sometimes the hard way, that the basic shape/structure of the plant at the end of its veg cycle determines, to a large extent, the success of the rest of the flowering cycle. Since any enclosed growbox not only has limited square footage, but quite limited cubic footage as well, the trick seems to be controlling the growth characteristics prior to flowering. This has led to a pretty defined routine of when/what/how to manipulate the girls prior to flowering. In order to control variables only one strain, White Rhino, has been grown. The rest of the grow is kept consistent in terms of nutes/light cycles/temps/etc. Just wondering what other enclosed growbox users are experiencing. Once Mom recovers more it looks to be time for a grow journal. Looking forward to learning more.

hey buddy, whats ur secret for controling growth in ur box

Ah, someone else with the same concerns. It looks like enclosed grow boxes aren't widely used so height isn't a common concern. Obviously, the strain is a good place to start. The more indica based strains tend to be shorter and bushier as apposed to almost anything sativa based. Regardless, the first thing seems to be the time allowed to veg, with the less time/smaller plant during veg, the shorter the plant will be. It gets tricky from here.
In an effort to get larger, more mature buds, from a given size plant there seems to be a couple of things to do. During veg, perhaps at around the second or third week, once the flowerettes on the first set of nodes develops, it's helpful to basically 'top' or snip the little flowerette at the end. This causes the outward growth to split and, as the plant recovers, the energy necessary to repair the prune helps control the overall size. Since these lowest branches never seem to develop much more than BB sized budettes it's not going to diminish the yield. Importantly, after doing this, try to give them at least a week or two to heal before putting them in flower. This requires some trial and error using the same strain in order to get a baseline from which to work. Other methods like topping, FIM-ing, and the like works much the same way. Finally, speaking from experience, don't remove, cut, or modify the fan leaves. All this does is mess up the plant's ability to use starches during flowering. While no expert, which is why I asked initially, these tips were learned the, um, hard way. Best of luck and please share any tips you may have.

Ah, someone else with the same concerns. It looks like enclosed grow boxes aren't widely used so height isn't a common concern. Obviously, the strain is a good place to start. The more indica based strains tend to be shorter and bushier as apposed to almost anything sativa based. Regardless, the first thing seems to be the time allowed to veg, with the less time/smaller plant during veg, the shorter the plant will be. It gets tricky from here.
In an effort to get larger, more mature buds, from a given size plant there seems to be a couple of things to do. During veg, perhaps at around the second or third week, once the flowerettes on the first set of nodes develops, it's helpful to basically 'top' or snip the little flowerette at the end. This causes the outward growth to split and, as the plant recovers, the energy necessary to repair the prune helps control the overall size. Since these lowest branches never seem to develop much more than BB sized budettes it's not going to diminish the yield. Importantly, after doing this, try to give them at least a week or two to heal before putting them in flower. This requires some trial and error using the same strain in order to get a baseline from which to work. Other methods like topping, FIM-ing, and the like works much the same way. Finally, speaking from experience, don't remove, cut, or modify the fan leaves. All this does is mess up the plant's ability to use starches during flowering. While no expert, which is why I asked initially, these tips were learned the, um, hard way. Best of luck and please share any tips you may have.

Thanks for the info, I have had some luck with just bending and tieing down,can u tell me what stains you have had luck with that are shorter.do you start with seed or clones,I have only started from seed. Thanks again my friend.:thanks::thanks::peace:

Ozric420,

Besides SCROG, you're correct about bending/tyeing/tucking/etc. Less space means more coaxing. As far as strains go, most primarily indica strains are either shorter/bushier already, or can be manipulated pretty easily. I've been working with White Rhino for the last several grows with increasingly good results. It's a 60/40 indica dominant strain with quite strong medicinal/couch lock/sleep inducing traits. When searching for either seeds or clones there seems to be a lot of White/Northern Lights based hybrids so, really, it's not that big of a deal.

Sativa based strains are more difficult. Currently, besides the Rhino grow, I've been germinating a strain of sativa dominate (70/30) hybrid called Budziller which is new on the scene, and is bred to be shorter with indoor growers in mind. Time, and no doubt some experience, will tell.

Finally, you'll need to start with seeds (feminized) unless you have access to clones. When you choose a strain and grow a mom then the preference shifts to clones. There are lots of reasons but, in short, it's all about consistency. Don't hesitate to really work on mom in order to get one that works for you.

Ozric420,

Besides SCROG, you're correct about bending/tyeing/tucking/etc. Less space means more coaxing. As far as strains go, most primarily indica strains are either shorter/bushier already, or can be manipulated pretty easily. I've been working with White Rhino for the last several grows with increasingly good results. It's a 60/40 indica dominant strain with quite strong medicinal/couch lock/sleep inducing traits. When searching for either seeds or clones there seems to be a lot of White/Northern Lights based hybrids so, really, it's not that big of a deal.

Sativa based strains are more difficult. Currently, besides the Rhino grow, I've been germinating a strain of sativa dominate (70/30) hybrid called Budziller which is new on the scene, and is bred to be shorter with indoor growers in mind. Time, and no doubt some experience, will tell.

Finally, you'll need to start with seeds (feminized) unless you have access to clones. When you choose a strain and grow a mom then the preference shifts to clones. There are lots of reasons but, in short, it's all about consistency. Don't hesitate to really work on mom in order to get one that works for you.

Thanks, Do you use the box for your mother or do u have another set -up,I've been try'in to think of an easy way to grow a couple of moms,I don't want to use the boxes,what is it you do,if you don't mind me asking. Thanks again.

Good morning, me again. My entire grow operation takes place inside a mere 33 cubic feet, even less square footage. This includes a small area for mom. That narrowly defined area is what has led to such a uniquely shaped mom. With the upcoming addition of a second mom, the space limitations will only get worse, but somehow it'll work. As for keeping your mom healthy, you'll need to keep her under 18/6 lighting to avoid having her slip into flowering. If that happens, it's very difficult to return to veg, though not impossible. Other considerations are nutrients and watering which are covered well elsewhere. For a better look at the actual box go here

Grow Box | Hydroponic Systems | Indoor Grow Boxes

The Bloombox is the all-in-one model. Considering my immobility, and the fact that both my wife (who sort of tolerates this but definitely doesn't share my enthusiasm) and I are business and home owners, it's nice to be able to shut the doors, lock it, and put it in the back of our master closet . Obviously, it's pricey, but for my own needs it's almost perfect. I suppose if you were more price conscience, or were looking for larger scale grows, it would be likely you'd dedicate space indoors and there would be much more space to work within. Besides, this is a 'rewarding' hobby, if you know what I mean.

Strain choice is very important imo. I use bushmasters on them if they look like they are going to be tall plants.

Bushmasters, I will look into that,thank you :thumb:

Good morning, me again. My entire grow operation takes place inside a mere 33 cubic feet, even less square footage. This includes a small area for mom. That narrowly defined area is what has led to such a uniquely shaped mom. With the upcoming addition of a second mom, the space limitations will only get worse, but somehow it'll work. As for keeping your mom healthy, you'll need to keep her under 18/6 lighting to avoid having her slip into flowering. If that happens, it's very difficult to return to veg, though not impossible. Other considerations are nutrients and watering which are covered well elsewhere. For a better look at the actual box go here

Grow Box | Hydroponic Systems | Indoor Grow Boxes

The Bloombox is the all-in-one model. Considering my immobility, and the fact that both my wife (who sort of tolerates this but definitely doesn't share my enthusiasm) and I are business and home owners, it's nice to be able to shut the doors, lock it, and put it in the back of our master closet . Obviously, it's pricey, but for my own needs it's almost perfect. I suppose if you were more price conscience, or were looking for larger scale grows, it would be likely you'd dedicate space indoors and there would be much more space to work within. Besides, this is a 'rewarding' hobby, if you know what I mean.

Thank you .and yes I do know what u mean. :thumb: :peacetwo:

I to am into controleing my girls need to know how early i can top/prune, and more info on small grow box would be helpfull

Back
Top Bottom