Sick Baby Girl...

JRR Toking

Hello everyone! I have severe medical conditions like many of you and MMJ is the only way I've found to happily live this life. 420magazine.com has been my passion for the past couple months and I'm finally getting around to my first attempt, thus leading to my first post. You people are amazing! So many good hearts on this forum. I'm a HUGE supporter of this site. Thank you all in advance for all of your time and effort!

Here's the general Info... Then I'll get down to the "nitty-gritty".

What Strain is it? Unknown Bagseed
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Unknown
How Many Plants? 1
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Veg.
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? 3 Weeks(ish)
If in Flowering Stage... How Long? N/A
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoors
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If Hydro, Reservoir size? N/A
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature? N/A
If Hydro, what type of Medium? N/A
If Hydro, what type of Setup? N/A
If Soil... What is in your Mix? Fox Farm Ocean Forest
If Soil... What Size Pot? 44oz Cup
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 16 - 26w (100w Eq.) - CFLs - 8 2700K & 8 6500K - 416 watts/26,800 lumens
Is it Air Cooled? Dual Fan Pointed at Lights and Plant
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 70F-85F (always fluctuating)
RH of Room/Cabinet? 40-75% (always fluctuating)
PH of Medium or Reservoir? PH Meter coming tomorrow
Any Pests? No
How Often are you Watering? Once Every 4 Days(ish)
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Fox Farm Big Bloom (2Tbl/Gal) & Fox Farm Grow Big (2tsp/Gal)
Size or Square Footage of Room? 48 sq. ft. - 102 cubic ft.

Ok so,.. My journey has been a bit rough so far but I'm charging through the storm and learning along the way. Thanks to you guys, I have gained great knowledge, but as you can see in my pics, I still have a long way to go.

My "in-progress" grow room isn't ventilated yet* and isn't air tight yet* either. Soon, but not yet. The temp is controlled by a heater that isn't the most sensitive and as a result of these 2 issues, the temp constantly fluctuates between 70F and 85F, always on the move. Same way with the RH. Always moving from 40% to sometimes as high as 75%. I know that can't be good for my little girl.

She has been picture perfect until last week when I watered her with straight H2O and she began to "droop". Now she looks like the 8th dwarf, "Droopy" and her bottom leaves are yellowing. Classic overwatering, right? Only issue is that I always wait until the container is as light as it gets, 2-3 inches down is bone dry, when I stick my finger in the drain holes, it's bone dry, and my moisture meter says bone dry all throughout the pot. This purrrty lil' lass can't be overwatered,.. or can she? I water her with about 50ml of distilled water once every 4 to 5 days. I feed her every other watering. I read Medical's post about possibly drooping due to the roots not getting enough O2 so I did as suggested and aerated (poked several holes in the soil) with my moisture meter and still no luck. Should I try H2O2 with my next watering? I read somewhere that maybe I shouldn't since I'm using Fox Farms Ocean Forest and Peroxide could potentially kill some of the beneficial bacteria that exists in the soil? Any truth to that?

Thanks again for all your help! All comments and suggestions are welcome!
Using my phone to take pics,.. sorry for the poor quality. Maybe santa will bring me a nice digital camera for x-mas. Prolly not though, cheap bastard never gets me what I really want. =D

Photo-00751.jpg

Photo-0076.jpg

Photo-0077.jpg

Photo-0078.jpg

Photo-0079.jpg

Dude,
you need to get that lil baby into a bigger home.She needs room for growth and development of her roots so she can produce a lovely canopy of leaves for upper growth. Hope that will work out well for you.

Bigger Pot.

Needs the Soil pH tested/adjusted to be 6.3-6.5.

You are feeding her so she should not be N hungry like she looks. Most likely pH lockout. The Plant cannot absorb certain nutrients at too low or high of a pH. If I remember correctly Grow Big brings the pH of the Solution down quite a bit. Below tolerable levels. It needs to be adjusted prior to giving to the plant with ph adjusters like pH up. I know Tiger Bloom for me brings my RO filtered water down to pH 4.4 with just 2 TSPs and I have to add about 4ml of pH up to get it to 6.4. I really don't remember the result of Grow Big as I switched to Age Old during Veg, my plants liked it better. Also when the leaves start to get a ruffled texture like that it is usually but not always a pH issue. At least thats what I've seen in my limited experience.

You do have drain holes in the bottom of the cup right?

based on your watering schedule and that it ocean forest soil you sound about right for watering. Do the leaves perk up after you water then droop back down? If so then maybe you are going a little dry between waterings. Just a thought.

Fix your pH and transplant to a bigger pot and you will be good to go. I hope the meter coming is a digital one. The only kind worth getting IMO. Hope it works out for you. :peace:

Thanks a lot for the quick responses!

DaMagoMan - Honored to have your input, I stumbled upon a grow of yours and loved every minute of it,..beautiful work man... much props! *bow*

fineas - 10-4 on the housing upgrade! Thanks for your help bro. Appreciate your time. Can't wait to see that lovely canopy open back up!

McBudz - The great Stinky McBudz! I'm also honored to have your input my friend. I only hope someday my thumbs will green-up to the shade of yours! And yes, Lots-o-holes in the cup! 8 big ones that I can stick my finger in to feel moisture levels.

So, sounds like the general concensus is to transplant into a bigger container. Damnit! My fiance was right. I hate it when she does that! =D I was toying with that idea as well. I will move into 3 gallons first thing in the morning.

One thing I need to clear up though.

I was planning on picking up a 10 dollar 3 in 1 meter. Soil PH, Light, and Moisture in 1. Not a good idea? Cheap POS?

Also,.. I surfed around and can't find a digital SOIL ph meter that isn't retarded expensive. (over 100 bones) McBudz, were you referrring to a digital WATER ph meter? And on that note, is there a meter that will measure the ph for both soil and water or do I need to buy two separate meters? If two are needed, then which should I grab first? I'm on a limited budget at the moment.

Thanks again guys!

Look on ebay for milwaukee ph 600. I got mine for $20 and works a hell of a lot better then the pricey one I bought a month before that crapped out. they measure the liquid you put into the soil and the liquid you collect coming out of the soil.

It is important to know the runoff because that is the pH your roots are sitting in. If the soil is bringing the pH down to much then you need to raise the pH of whats going in.

pH for soil grows should be 6.3-6.5

Remember to always measure your pH after you've added all the nutes because they have an effect on pH as well.

Get the pH meter mentioned above (best cheapest one I found) or any other digital meter you like and get some pH up and down and you'll solve a lot of the mystery's of growing. :) :peace:

And yes the meter you asked about is crap IMO. I started off with that one.

The 3n1's are cheap, it is an "in the area reading" for PH. I don't think there is a digital for soil. Get the digital, you can PH it before and then the run off after. I have seen good ones for 75 bones... When did you start giving it nutes? I am surprised that you are already at full strength... No worries, we will get you on the right path..:peace:

Yep, real root bound there, Get it into a 3-5 gallon container with drainage holes. Also start a few more seeds,1 plant only it may go kane or wahine ( male or female) better have a little contingency plan incase it goes male.

McBudz - Milwaukee ph 600 - Sold! I'll get it ordered asap. You da man! Think she'll survive the week or so it's gonna take to get the meter? Should I give her straight dist. h20 in the mean time?

Be IRIE - Much Respect! I've also followed many of the amazing things you've accomplished. Wicked-disgusting grows man! *kneel* "I'm not worthy!" I'm a high country man myself having lived in Georgetown, Idaho Springs, and Dillon for several years. My heart will always be in the rockies.

So,..

If I'm understanding everything correctly, I don't necessarily "need" a SOIL PH meter? As long as I measure the PH of the water mix before I feed, and measure the PH of the runoff, and adjust accordingly, I should be groovy?

For Example -

I measure the PH of the mix before feeding and say it's 6.5.. Then I feed and measure the runoff and it's raised to 7.5,.. Will I use some PH down mixed with water and immediately re-water to lower the PH? Errr?...

Thanks a ton gentlemen! I'm humbled by the talent and expertise that has chosen to help me out of this slump. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I move my baby girl to her new home. Her bottom leaves are all bright yellow and dying fast.

You guys are the reason 420magazine.com is the sheeeeit!

Be IRIE - Hey man,.. it's all gravy. "Pullin' tubes" does that to the best of us. I'm just thankful to have your attention on my issue. You kick mucho ass!

Bee23 - =D She'll have a bigger playpen tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the positive words!

Cherma - Wow, I continue to receive advice from the "Best of the Best"! I'm truely gracious for your input Sir. This little girl is my guinea pig. I have more soldiers to "deploy" when/if I mutilate this one.

McBudz - Milwaukee ph 600 - Sold! I'll get it ordered asap. You da man! Think she'll survive the week or so it's gonna take to get the meter? Should I give her straight dist. h20 in the mean time?

Be IRIE - Much Respect! I've also followed many of the amazing things you've accomplished. Wicked-disgusting grows man! *kneel* "I'm not worthy!" I'm a high country man myself having lived in Georgetown, Idaho Springs, and Dillon for several years. My heart will always be in the rockies.

So,..

If I'm understanding everything correctly, I don't necessarily "need" a SOIL PH meter? As long as I measure the PH of the water mix before I feed, and measure the PH of the runoff, and adjust accordingly, I should be groovy?

For Example -

I measure the PH of the mix before feeding and say it's 6.5.. Then I feed and measure the runoff and it's raised to 7.5,.. Will I use some PH down mixed with water and immediately re-water to lower the PH? Errr?...

Thanks a ton gentlemen! I'm humbled by the talent and expertise that has chosen to help me out of this slump. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I move my baby girl to her new home. Her bottom leaves are all bright yellow and dying fast.

You guys are the reason 420magazine.com is the sheeeeit!

You'll be ok. Just use straight water distilled til then.

Dont need a "SOIL" meter. You be fine with what I mentioned above.

First measure you water just to see what it is as is with no nutes. remember it or write it down. What I do then run my water straight through the soil (no nutes added) and collect the runoff. I measure this runoff and treat it is my baseline.

SO Lets say my water is 7.2. I run it through my soil and it comes through as 6.0. I know that the soil is fairly acidic and is lowering the pH. So when I mix my nutes and anything else I put into the soil I would probably try and pH it to 7.5 and apply it to the soil and again collect the new run off and see where we are at pH wise. If we are at 6.3 to 6.5 then we are good. It may not happen on the first try but you'll get the feel for it.

And yes if the first attempt comes out way off it will not hurt to adjust and redo right away. I mean the soils already wet right? As long as you have good drainage it wont hurt. Bad pH is more harmful. Just don't wait a day or 2 to try and adjust again because they do like their wet/dry cycles.

Don't worry too much about the yellowing bottom leaves. They'll eventually die and fall off, no biggie. If the yellow spreads up the plant then we need to look further into whats going on. :peace:

You doing fine and these guys have got you covered. I agree with them that you need to transplant ASAP.

The only thing I will add is avoid growing only a single plant. If it turns out male (I hope not) then you have to start all over which is not fun. :peace:

She's dead. I caught her too late. Went to transplant her tonight and she looked like twice baked death. Not gonna waste good soil on this one. We'll start again soon and keep you all posted. Thanks for all the wonderful help guys. Maybe next time will be better. =(

GO back to the earth baby girl... RIP Good luck with your next grow. I also try to do extra clones and seeds. The only hard part is the gleaning. BUt sometimes the best you can do wont save a baby... DOnt give up cause when you get it growing well and tall and beautifulfragrance and all it will be thrilling. ANd of course we know the healthy plants and their produce are great rewards for all your hard work. Even experienced growers lose babies too...
fineas

Back
Top Bottom