Sick Cheese Plants - Yellow/downward curling Leaf Tips

Greenman90

Hi all. I'm on day 30 from Seed, and 3 of my plants seem to be suffering from a disease or deficiency.
I am waiting on my soil ph meter to arrive, I currently only have the little paper strips and am not getting on with them. So unfortunately no PH reading to date. It started out looking like a magnesium deficiency - bright green edges to the leaf tips. But now they have turned very yellow. At first it was only middle to top fan leaves that seemed affected. But now newer growth seems to be affected which is getting me worried.

What Strain is it? I am growing Jack Herrer - Super Kush - Bagseeds and Cheese. Cheese being the only ones that seem (majorly) affected

How Many Plants? 10 total - 3 infected (cheese)

Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Day 30 of Veg

Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor

Soil or Hydro? Soil

If Soil... What is in your Mix? Just universal flower earth out the supermarket

If Soil... What Size Pot? ca. 25L/ 5gal

Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 1x600W HPS

Is it Air Cooled? No

Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 71-75 Fahrenheit/ 21-25C

RH of Room/Cabinet? No Hydrometer present yet

PH of Medium or Reservoir? No Ph meter present yet

Any Pests? Nope

How Often are you Watering? daily/ every second day

Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? I have been using Canna Veg and Cannazym. Since they started showing signs of sickness I have just been watering with Deminarilzed water (I couldn't find any distilled where i live)

Size or Square Footage of Room? grow area ca. 5ftx5ft (1.5mx1.5m) - with the room having about the same in unused empty space.

Thanks for any suggestions :D

That is quite a vivid nutrient def :thumb:

Ok so ya using canna veg I believe they come in A & B solutions what strength of nutrients are you using... like recommended rates or half rate etc ?

He's a little chart which may help identify the nutrient def.

leavedeficiencies22.jpg

I'm kind of thing of Mg - Magnesium def at the moment tho...

PH strip only give a rough indication of PH level & it may suggest what you tested either run off or the nutrients it self before watering ?

Yeah I found a few of these charts, but found them rather inconclusive. they all look pretty similar, and I couldn't find one that fit my symptom 100%

I'm using the Canna Veg at recommended 5ml/L and Canna Cannazym at recommended 2.5ml/L.

But since I have noticed the deficiency I have only been feeding deminarilzed water, which SHOULD be ph neutral from what I have read, but the ph strips seemed to indicate a high 7-8. I might just go back to tap water which measured between 6-7.

After reading a lot online I assumed it to be a Magnesium Lockout due to low ph, as apparently the canna veg can lower ph of water after mixing. So i thought the slightly higher ph deminarilzed water should help. I posted the same picture in my grow journal, and someone else guessed it being a potassium lockout due to HIGH ph. I really need that ph tester that i am waiting on.

I will try to test the ph of my tap water, the nutrient mix and the deminarilized water again tomorrow and post the results.

I also found it hard to tell if the plant is actually getting better, as I imagine the affected leafs aren't going to turn green again.
But so far it at least seems to have slowed down (if not stopped) more leafs being affected.

To measure the run off, do I just ph the water before watering the plant - and then water it until water comes out the bottom holes? And then measure that again? The difference between them 2 strips should at least give me an indication if the soil is to high or to low.. right?

Thanks for the advice guys!

Hi... I will give my 2 cents but please know that's about what it is worth but with the clawing I think you are using to many nutes. If I was you I would try cutting the amount I was using in half and see if the clawing eases up and actually I would do a good flush first and try and get out any extra salts that could be locking her out. I had a girl I was trying full strength nutes on 2 weeks ago and she did basically the same thing. My leaves were not as discolored but I caught it immediately and I flushed her very well (I did use SledgeHammer flush but not necessary) and within 24 hours she was fine. Again I caught it right away before it had time to discolor my leaves other than a couple on the tips but I think it would be a good place to start. Hope it helps and if I can be of any other assistance please just pop over to my journal in my signature........:circle-of-love:

:Namaste: Yes, it does look like nutrient lock out, either overloaded like Dennise suggested, or maybe the PH got you. if you are a new grower, more than likely you're overfeeding and watering... good luck..

~ Green Man...One of the better growers out there is Fuzzy Duck, suggestion: make friends and ask questions, the Duck's noodle is pretty good and you'll learn immensely...as with others here on 420 - You're in good company. ~

:roorrip:

~ In a emergency situation... if I am mixing my nutes, and I have nothing for the up or down of the PH... I just take about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda and stir it into my nutes @ one (1) gallon liquid, and the PPM's of my nute strength is @ 900 - 1200 PPM's ~

I have never had a problem when doing this from any aspect...to be honest, it's all I use every time. After a few grows under your belt, you'll get the feel for every thing anyways... But a key to growing dense sticky buds, is you want a consistent and normal and uneventful grow cycle...and when you have that, you'll have ...Utopia. :thumb:

~ one more thing...you'll have to absolutely start checking your run off PH & PPM's...so you know what your plant is eating and why? ~

Cheers for the tips mango snapper. And sorry for the late reply, i didn't seem to get notified about new posts in this thread?!?

I got pretty frustrated, as i thought the plants where dying. Just fed with tap water for a few days, and the plants are majoritively green again, just a few yellow corners visible. New growth seems unaffected, so i assume it was either a ph Imbalance that rectified itself or i was indeed giving too many nutes. I am feeding of a schedule a good friend of mine gave me, but i started listening a bit more to the plants and not feed nutes to all of them every day.

Does the baking soda raise or lower the ph? I have been looking for organic methods of ph adjustment, don't really want to go and spend more money on ph balancing chemicals. On the next grow there will definitely be some dolomite mixed in with the soil to keep it stable.

And how do i check ppm?

Cheers guys, all the best!

Yeah I found a few of these charts, but found them rather inconclusive. they all look pretty similar, and I couldn't find one that fit my symptom 100%

Ye nutrient def charts are just a guide line !

With many of the defs looking very similar too each other in the early stages of developement & to diagnosis the problem may require additional info !

Such as...

Stage of growth e.g veg or flowering to rule out common defs etc

PH of growing medium used if known ?

Type of water used may also help !

Nutrients used & brand name could offer some insight along with how often you are feeding !

But i am pleased that your plants are taking a turn for better health from your recent reply :love:

You prolly closed this thread, or moved on... I wanted to mention one thing, if your using regular tap water. You might want to have you a couple of pitchers of it sitting out for a few days to let the chlorine in it to evaporate out, because if you grow organic, it will kill what your trying to accomplish. The beneficials in the soil get trashed from chlorine...

Back
Top Bottom