Greenmans First HPS Grow - Soil - Cheese - Special Kush - Jack Herer - Advice Welcome

Greenman90

Hello my fellow green-thumbed friends, this is supposed to be a blend of grow diary and problem solving thread (for all issues that might arise) for me and newbies alike. This is not my first time round, but first time using decent lighting and seeds. Prior to this i have grown under the window using just sunlight, no nutrients and seeds found in what i smoked.. needless to say it was very low yielding - but great fun and smoke anyway.. and completely free not to forget ;)

My equipment:
Light: 600Watt HPS

Bulb: Phytolite Grow-Bloom Extreme; Colour Temp. 2075K; 90.000 Lumen
Dual spectrum (flowering+growth)

Soil: Universal Flower Soil out the supermarket

Plants: 12x "wild" seeds, picked out of plants found by the side of the road
3x Cheese (feminized)
2x Special Kush (feminized)
1x Easy Plant Autoflower (feminized)
1x Jack Herrer (feminized)

Room: Window-less Cellar room
ca. 1.5m wide x 2.5m long x 2m high (5ft x 8ft x 6.5ft)

Nutes: 1L Canna Veg
1L Canna Flores
1L Canna Cannazym
1L Advanced Nutrients hammerhead PK4/8 booster

The canna series came highly recommended by a close friend of mine, who produces some great bud. The Canna Boost was way too expensive for my budget (trying to keep it as low cost as possible) so i substituted it with the Advanced Nutrients Hammerhead PK 4/8. My friend also uses Canna Roots and Canna PK 13/14, which he only uses in very small amounts (Roots 0.3ml/L daily; PK13/14 only for a week just before harvest) - so but I bought what i deemed essential.

THE STORY SO FAR:
I was given roughly 200 wild seeds by a friend, who harvested some premature plants found by the side of the road. The seeds were all pretty small and underdeveloped, hence only 12 of them germinated. I bought an additional 7 feminized seeds from a seed bank. Luckily all 7 purchased seeds germinated, and all of the 19 germinated seeds made it into (so-far) healthy looking plants. I germinated them all in a kitchen cupboard using damp paper towels.

The plan is to keep the feminized plants in the grow room and move the 'wild' plants into the outdoor greenhouse once the weather gets warmer - a second grow so-to-speak - as an experiment to see the difference in quality, yield, etc. (and of course the ones in the greenhouse are effectively free) Until then they are vegging all together under the HPS. The 'wild' plants are also going to be my test subjects when it comes to topping, cloning, etc so i don't ruin my 7 main plants - as I haven't tried any of these techniques before.

Ultimately i'd like to keep 2-3 Motherplants for cloning-purposes for future grows (Cheese, Jack Herrer and maybe a Special Kush) and smoke the rest once done. i'm planning to keep the Mothers under a 35watt CFL (apparently equivalent to a 175w incandescent bulb) 2130 Lumen; Colour Temp. 6400k; once the time comes, for 18-24hours a day to keep them from flowering, and get the clones under the hps once the present grow is complete.

I am currently on Day 9 since the last seedling stuck its head above ground.

I set up the grow area in a windowless cellar room with an ambient temperature of 10-15 degree Celsius (50-59 Fahrenheit), which is why I have been running the lights 24/0 so far - as i do not know what to do to keep the temperature up when the lights are off. I would like to switch to 20/4 or 18/6 soon - but need to find some kind of heating solution first. With the light turned on, the plants are kept at roughly 23-27 degree Celsius (73-80 Fahrenheit). I am also yet to buy a hygrometer (to measure humidity), but it smells relatively moist down there. To reflect the unused light i have set up 2 large mirrors, as well as using 2 reflective heating blankets out of first-aid kits. I also have a fan standing in the room, that i have been running twice a day for an hour each interval on the lowest setting.

The 12 wild seeds were planted into small, ca. 600ml pots - which should hopefully do until they get planted in the ground in the greenhouse. From the 7 feminized seeds, 4 were planted into large pots (ca. 5-8L (1-1.5 Gallon) to avoid unnecessary stress by repotting them over and over. The other 3 were planted in the same 600ml pots as the wildlings.

I was very surprised by the different growth rates across the plants. The 12 wild seeds were the first to be planted. Followed (about a week later) by the 2 Special Kush, the Auto Easy Plant, the 3 Cheeses, and last (but certainly not least) Jack Herrer. All a day or two apart from each other. The biggest plant atm is the first wild seed, closely followed by the 3rd cheese that popped out the ground, Jack Herrer (that was planted last), and Cheese number 2. THE 2 CHEESES AND JACK HERRER ARE ALSO THE 3 FEMINIZED SEEDS THAT WERE PLANTED IN SMALLER POTS. So i'm concluding that planting seeds in smaller pots is beneficial for early growth. The other 4 feminized plants in big pots are doing well, but certainly not growing as fast as these 3. The other wild seeds are all coming along, but remarkably slower then all the others.

I water twice a day, after getting up and before going to bed. each time about 300-400ml shared by all 19 plants. Big ones more, little ones less.

Questions so far:

1. Is lack of fresh-air circulation going to be an issue? With the door closed the room is as good as sealed.

2. Anybody used the Hammerhead pk 4/8 before? Should I go and purchase the Canna Boost? The Canna Boost is applied in quite large amounts daily, whereas the Hammerhead only once a week, 2ml/L (I wasn't aware of that at the time, just thought it was a cheaper alternative)

3. When do I start feeding the Vega and Cannazym? So far I heard 2 weeks after the plant raised its head out the soil

4. When do I start with topping and lst (low-stress training)?

5. Do i have to treat the motherplants any different to the others while they are still all vegging?

6. How big do the final pots have to be?

Any advice, feedback and questions are welcome and greatly appreciated!

Sorry about the long post, I hope i didn't go into too much detail.

I'm having trouble taking some decent pictures, but will post some as soon as I manage to get some worthwhile ones.

Re: Greenmans first HPS Grow/ Soil/ Cheese; Special Kush; Jack Herer

The Room (one reflective wall removed for view
IMG_25618.JPG

The 12 Wildlings
IMG_256511.JPG

The 7 Main Plants
IMG_257310.JPG

Re: Greenmans First HPS Grow - Soil - Cheese - Special Kush - Jack Herer - Advice Wel

So I am now on day 22 (12 days from last pictures being posted). I haven't had time to pop in on the forum, so was quite surprised to see what they looked like 2 weeks ago. They never seem to grow much if you look at them everyday, but looking back such a short time, they have made dramatic advances. I measure their sizes bi-daily, and they seem to be growing at about 1cm/day.

I moved the first 6 (of 12) plants in the greenhouse (the sickest looking plants) to see how they keep up in current night temperatures. Out of my 19 (7 purchased, 12 wild) plants, 5 of the 'wildlings' didn't look so swell, mainly one not taking to kindly to a pot transplant a week back and the others suffering of a variety of deficiencies. The other 6 seem to be doing quite alright, getting quite bushy and i have had to tuck big leaves under the new growing nodes(? Am i using the right term here?)

From the 7 main plants, the 2 special kush (seeds that popped first) are developing the slowest. I suspect this might be strain specific, but they show significant slower growth, as well as slightly yellow tipped leaves, and one of them having very bright green coloured leafs. I suspect a pH imbalance that is slowing down growth, and probably creating a nutrient lock, that stops it from taking up Magnesium.

The Other 5 plants (3x Cheese, Jack Herer, Easy Plant Auto) are looking very bushy and impressively tall. 3 or 4 of them just started showing bright (lime) green coloured tips at the top developing leaves, again a magnesium deficiency from what i have read on the forum. Waiting on my ph kit and soil tester to arrive so I can get on fixing the symptoms of magnesium deficiency. Also going to see if I can find some dolomite lime, I hear thats a favourite for correcting pH levels.

Also going to buy some distilled water tomorrow, as i hear it has a neutral ph of 7, and I haven't got a clue what my tap water is like.

I started repotting the 7 main plants into their final ca. 5gallon (25 litre) pots, will post some pictures tomorrow once that is done.

P.S. info on the original questions in top most are still needed ;)

Re: Greenmans First HPS Grow - Soil - Cheese - Special Kush - Jack Herer - Advice Wel

1Yes you need fresh air, or you'll be low on co2
2 I'm not sure on your nutrient line, but don't skimp on quality in this department, quality clean nutrients are key
3 you can probably start feeding, feed at half strength, if they like it add another 25% until your on the products schedule
4 lst on 3rd set of leaves, do topping/fiming at 5th set
5, top her, keep the inside clean, to prevent mold. Also keep her on a pretty basic nutrient schedule, she don't need much.
6 how much do you want to water? You can get smaller cloth pots to keep space down(my final pot is 2 gallons) you just need to water more ( few times daily on veg I'm on pumps) or you can get bigger pots for the sacrifice of space(5-7 gallons) but you can get watering down a few times a week/daily in veg, so it depends on the daily time you can allot to your ladies.

1Yes you need fresh air, or you'll be low on co2
2 I'm not sure on your nutrient line, but don't skimp on quality in this department, quality clean nutrients are key
3 you can probably start feeding, feed at half strength, if they like it add another 25% until your on the products schedule
4 lst on 3rd set of leaves, do topping/fiming at 5th set
5, top her, keep the inside clean, to prevent mold. Also keep her on a pretty basic nutrient schedule, she don't need much.
6 how much do you want to water? You can get smaller cloth pots to keep space down(my final pot is 2 gallons) you just need to water more ( few times daily on veg I'm on pumps) or you can get bigger pots for the sacrifice of space(5-7 gallons) but you can get watering down a few times a week/daily in veg, so it depends on the daily time you can allot to your ladies.

1. Right, i'll have to keep my door open then whilst no guests around to make sure there is fresh air coming into the room.

2. I have read of other people using the hammerhead, so i'm hoping its just a slightly different alternative.

3. Have started feeding nutes last week, and they seem to be enjoying them at 75% so far, as they are all settled in their final pots I will go to full strength. The plants are now 3 weeks old and between 12-18cm tall

4.+ 5. I shall get right on that sir ;)

6. I have a lot of time to dedicate to the flowers, but would a smaller pot not restrict the root grow? 10L does not sound like a lot, i imagine the plant stays relatively small then as well? I'm planning to flip mine at about 50-60cm (2 weeks or so) and end up with 1+m plant height in flower. I have about 2m ceiling so space isn't the issue.

Any advice on what to use for the topping? Is a usual pair of scissors alright? And i understand you cut just under the the top emerging leaves?

Fresh pictures will be up today! Thanks for the info.

I used this as a guide for topping .. with great succes if I may say so myself :p

How To: Bend and top your way to a 1 pound monster

Instruments used: well cleaned nails.

Small pots-not necessarily on dice restrictions, I have a couple plants pushing 4 feet in my 2 gallons. *if you get smaller pots they have to be cloth* this is very important in order to not get root bound! Also I'd make sure you add some active bacteria (like $2 at the grow store) when you transplant, if your nutrients have any bacteria/enzymes that feed on decaying mass, you'll actually see benefits!

The Cannazym I use has 13 enzymes that feed on dead roots, etc. so I think i should be good on that front.

Here's some fresh pictures from yesterday morning. I am quite happy to say, that some of my wildlings have gone into pre-flower and are already starting to show their sex! So once I'm sure, they will be ripped out and burnt.

First the ones set out in the greenhouse. So far 1 male.

Plant 2

Plant3

Plant 4

Plant 5 with suspected Low PH (Magnesium Deficiency)

Plant 6

I also just identified another 3 males in the indoor grow room, which will be moved out, for further observation and once definitely ruled male disposed of.

SO Now i have 9 in the greenhouse, 4 of which are suspected males, and I have my 7 good seeds and another 3 female wildlings indoors.

The Grow room

My special Kush plants were the first seeds to pop, but the slowest growing. The bottom leaves have been drying and dying of. One of them is also has rather bright leaves.

Special Kush 1

Special Kush 2

Cheese 1

Cheese 2

Cheese 3

Jack herrer

Easy Plant Autoflower

The bought seeds certainly seem to have better genetics compared to the wild ones. Bigger (in fact Massive) leafs, Thick stem and loads of canopies. About half of the bought seeds seem to be suffering from too low ph (showing by the magnesium deficiency - bright green leaf tips). I have a test kit in the post, but until that arrives i will only water with deminaralized water, which apparently has a ph value of 7. This should hopefully even the ph imbalance out. I am new to the whole ph thing, so any advice is greatly welcome.

Also, would now be a good point to start topping the plants?
:peace:

Nice growing. I like all the post you been doing in your journal.

Heya, looking good!

PH in soil is supposed to self regulate unless you nute the shit out of it, or so I understand it. I topped mine around this size.

Heya, looking good!

PH in soil is supposed to self regulate unless you nute the shit out of it, or so I understand it. I topped mine around this size.

i have been feeding Cannazym which are Enzymes as far as I am aware, as well as Canna Vega, both are chemical nutes i think. 2.5ml Cannazym and 5ml vega per Liter of water. I am waiting for a ph testing kit to arrive to be sure. Do you guys recommend the little paper strips or the ones you stick in the ground with an analog meter on it? Thinking of getting both so i can measure the soil, my tap water which I use for feeding and the runoff.

Also, depending on where you live, a tapwater analysis might be publicly available on the site of your watercompany or so.

Day 28 from Seed (4 weeks)

The Easy Plant Auto went into bloom a few days ago. The plant seems pretty small at 33cm/ 13inches but i'm assuming it should stretch a little. Should I start feeding it Flores and Bloom nutrients now or continue with the vegging nutes for a week?

The 3 female wildlings/ bagseeds are all doing pretty well, one of which I have to plant in the greenhouse over the next few days as its growing far to bushy in its 10L paint pot.. i will probably keep the small one in the grow room and plant the tall one outside as well.

The 2 Super Kush plants are slowly speeding up their growing pace, both now measuring 19-20cm/ 8 inches. I accidentally overwatered one of them, as it seemed pretty thirsty, so will let it dry out for 2 days and hope he pick up again.

The Jack Herrer plant is the healthiest looking one, 27cm/ 7Inches tall and growing very bushy. I had to remove 2 large fan leaves from the top of the plant to stop the overcrowding of new growth in the area. I LST'd the rest of the plant for it to grow nice and wide.
I have decided not to keep a mother plant going, but to just take 6 cuttings (probably all of the Jack herrer as it seems to be doing best under my grow conditions) and flower all of them.

The 3 Cheese plants are the largest of the lot, measuring 26/29/33cm (10/12/13 inches), but all seem to be suffering of a from a deficiency i can't identify. Can anybody tell me what they are suffering from? I'm not getting on with the cheap paper ph strips, so I have ordered myself a more accurate soil ph meter which should be arriving in a few days - but have no PH reading at the moment.

I am thinking about flipping to 12/12 next week, or latest the week after, which will make it 5/6 weeks veg period from seed. Should I step down to 18/6 first or go straight to 12/12?

Also, how long shall I wait after cutting the clones beforey flipping the lights? I imagine the plant should have some time to recover first?

My bet will be nute-lockout due to high PH showing as early stage potasium deficiency (which gets locked-out ~ 7 (or below 6.5))

Day 44
Day 9 on 12/12

Man I've been busy. No time to write an entry, so it'll be a short one today. The plants are looking healthy for the most part. The Cheese plants are still showing some yellowing of the leaf, but doesn't seem as bad as before. I just watered the sickly looking plants with straight tap water for a few days, they continued growing and seem to be recovering. I made the switch to 12/12 after 5 weeks vegging from Seed, with each flower having a minimum height of 30cm/ 12inches. I continued feeding vegging nutes for the first week of flower, and am now just giving them water for the second week before starting with the bloom mix. I also started occasionally clipping of larger fan leaves that are covering future bud sites. The temperature high with lights on is about 20-24Celsius (68-75F) - and drops as low as 14 (57F) at lights off. Not Perfect - I know, but not much I can do about it now. Humidity is around a constant 90% which is also worrying. ANy idea what I can use other then a dehumidifier? I am not sure how to tackle Temp and Humidity seen as its a cellar. I can't really afford to start running 2kw fan heaters down there all night to keep the temp up. So I'm thinking to just see what happens.

Raised the light and redesigned the layout down there today.

The Easy Plant Auto Plant is doing very well! it is on day 18 of bloom and looks pretty tasty. This one should be done in about 26-32 Days, a month before the others. Should tie me over nicely ;) I am pretty pleased with the auto seed, i might look into doing a whole grow of autos after this one. 67cm / 27inches

The Jack Herrer Plant has remained quite small, but developed very bushy - looking very promising. Would have made a nice mother plant, but i'll look into that again once i have a separate veg area. 45cm / 18 inches

The 3 cheese plants also look very big and bushy, but not quite as healthy. I am looking forward for these to start flowering to see what i can expect yield wise. 50-59cm / 20-24 inches

The 2 Super Kush plants have had a growth spurt, and caught up with the others. One bushy, one tall. 41 and 54cm / 16 and 22 inches
Both looking very healthy.

The 3 Wildlings/ Bag seeds also look quite promising. Small and thin but with loads of bud sites.

In the Greenhouse i am left with 2 female and 1 Hermaphrodite. I will just let them do their thing and do nothing but water and top the occasionally. Pictures to follow soon.

I also just been given 50 Seeds of some kind of Afghan-strain by a friends friend. 25 of them went in the paper towels today to get some more plants going outside, and maybe veg a few to replace the current plants once harvested. I will probably get a couple 75w CFLs to veg them under until they can go outside.

For humidity and temp: if you can somehow get your fresh air from your home, instead of from your cellar, you would probably tackle both issues in one go. You could try to hook your air intake to a flexible duct, and place the other end in a room with more favourable conditions. You could also reverse the light schedule, so your lights will be on when the outside temp is lowest .. and off when it's a bit higher. In combination with getting your fresh air from elsewhere, that would do the trick I'd say.

Not fixing it doesnt really sound like an option ... 90% humidity is asking for molds, budrot, etc. (iirc). Good luck with it!

Back
Top Bottom