1st Grow! Blown Out Room! - Advice Welcome!

natert96

I'm just finishing up construction on my first grow room, all I'm waiting for is the electrician to wire up my 240v 4 light box (for when I blow out my room with 4000w and leds)
The main room is 8w x 9L x 8H, with a small adjacent hallway, with my rez, and timers. This leads into a closet with a large table protruding out, which had been white-d out with panda film also. In the "closet" is a small two foot; 4 bulb T5 light to make a small veg room. Outside the closet I will be cloning on a 25 site ez clone on top of which hangs a 17" carbon filter, connected to a 379 cfm online can-fan, which is connected into the main room to blow air over my lights, out of the room. My ballasts are under the table, under the inline fine to promote circulation, keep them cool, and keep heat out of my room.
Inside of the main grow room are 2 3x3 drain tables to hold 12 plants each in a SoG.each tray will run a drip system, each tray on a separate pump draining out into an adjacent shower.
My room stays very consistently cool in the summer and even more so in the current winter. Currently with no lights running, 3 fans, and 1 space heater my room won't break 75*. I plan on running my room at about 81* with 1500ppm Co2 in the day, and 68* at night shooting for an all around 45% humidity. Living in 0 humidity I'm planning on the natural plant aspiration, and my drip system to humid-ify my room, this winter. My room is about 95% sealed between my door, and gaps in my vented lights. Upon the summer I'm guessing I'll need a dehumidifier.
My pants will be grown in Batch 64(a Colorado coco coir/ perlite + additive blend and was recommended highly by all local grow shops, and was the cheapest at a little over $16 for 2SCF!!! I spent that savings on the a new high end line of nutrients called Mills. (slogan is "mills pays the bills) the shops manager said " compared to most growers hand watering, a Mills drip system will blow there minds for a first time grow, and even make some skilled growers envious" so I was sold... the nutrients are simple 5 parts; A+B, Start-R, C4 and Ultimate Pk. Veg, and into the first 2 weeks of bloom using a+b and start r, next 4 weeks is a+b and c4, finally, 3 weeks of a+b and pk, finishing with a week of flush. The whole set up(5 1L bottles) cost a little shy of $280 with the A+B being the cheapest, that said I've figured I'll probably use up almost all my A+B for this first grow, and about a 3rd of each of the rest. I asked my new grow store guru ( he showed me 6 STUNNING sativa plants that he branched out fill a full basement, pulling down over 3 lbs per plant!!! Omg face melt!!!!) If I needed anymore additives or macro nuts, and to my surprise he said it would be a waste, between my coco, and the mills. The biggest thing I found after doing my research on mills; is with how is formulated, salt build up is almost non existent, so you can really push your pants to take up as much as possible, and no flush breaks.
I'll be getting 40 clones, split between 8 strains, all from my old grower/ dealer, who has the best genetics/smoke I've had. (I'm a CO card holder) of which I'm putting 24 into 1 tray, to veg under 1 MH, for about 4 weeks or until around 16 inches, then which I'll split them up between 2 trays and 2 1000w hps, until they come down.
My goal is start them on 1 watering a day, building a strong root system with a good wet dry cycle for the first 5 days, with high run of. Building them up to 4 small waterings day by week 3 veg with only 10% run of, and finally 5 a day by bloom. (All of which being varied by how dry the top inch is) these ladies wil be transplanted to start intp 4 inch wide .75L square pots, top be moved and finished in 2 gallon square smart pots
I feel like I have a good leg up on this grow system, I have all the opportunities to my plants to the optimum. Between the constant mills drip in coco'( maximum hydration, aeration, and nutrients) 2 lights, almost exceeding space, co2 and maximum temperature (all to maximise metabolism) I should be maxing out my pants in theory?

Im looking for all imput/questions comments and concerns! help me out! gift me with your knowledge!

Re: 1st grow! blown out room! looking for advice/opinions

I have nothing to really add to your grow room so far. I will keep reading and watching as you post. Looks real clean and nice.

I got around 30 free clones the other day from my old connect, all of which i'm pretty sure were cut on different days.(I found 1 with roots popping out the first day, while the rest have nothing) they are now just rotting/ shocked from being driven down from the freezing mountains with no roots or hardening off. I'm most likely going to scrap them and start over because i don't want my first grow started with weakling/ struggling plants...

I had problems with getting clones my self. I have now said the heck with it and seeded mothers and do my own. It sucked at first waiting but now I am very happy I did. Now I know the mother they came from and the health of the mother.

i have a couple seeds started... but i need a few clones, i only want to veg them for around 2 weeks, to about 12 inches or so, then blow them up with massive center colas, make a SoG until i can get some genetics /mothers that match my room/grow style better. have to start making that money back some how...

feb 23: finally have plants and room is up and running. After much running around I ended up with a total of 7 strains in my collection!
5 Red Dragon
7 Blue Dream
5 White Rhino
2 Apple-Jack
4 QLeaner
1 Pink lady
1 Strawberry Cough

The 1st 5 strains are whats in the main box under the light, from left to right. The Pink Lady is the largest plant, off to the side, it was a throw in with my Apple jack and QLeaner. I'm most likely going to keep it in veg to sell clones as its a plant from seed. The other small plant was the lone survivor from my first donation of clones of about 30... I'm not quite sure what to do with it, probably just let it blow up in the corner until i cant stand looking at it any more. I got the first 3 strains last night, they are all 1st gen clippings, with MASSIVE root systems. the other 3 I received this morning; and all had root systems filling solo cups in soil, so I'm assuming they have a little more than a weeks head start. I transplanted everything into my coco blend in the last 12 hours, and its now all under 1 1000w MH light. Since I transplanted the larger ones from soil to coco, and only into slight larger containers I'm under the impression that it should retard them enough to let the majority get a little catch up time. everything was transplanted with rooting bacteria, and watered with a light nutrient solution of MILLS, PH adjusted to spec.I'm going to maintain a hang watering regiment for the first week, monitoring a heavy wet/dry cycle. After which ill turn on the pumps and really start pumping the nutrients. once they fill the 4 inch plastic pots, ill most them once more to 2 gallon smartpots, and separate them under both 1000w hps lights. When the majority of my vegging plants reach around 16-18 inches, hopefully in about 3 weeks total, Im going to switch them to 12/12. (they're on 24 hours right now)
20140223_132146.jpg
20140223_131343.jpg
20140223_131305.jpg

let me know your questions comments and concerns, or if i fucked anything up. I'd also love some tips on these strains if anyone has any experience with them!

What did you adjust your pH to? You want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil.

Here is a nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

The nutrient guide said 5.8-6.2 so I think mines 6 ph. Is there any good way to "retard" my larger pants until the small ones take full hold? Can I put them more out of the way of light? Or would that that stunt them? I just want to let my little guys catch up since they all have very close flower times, and I have 6 that have almost a 2 week head start.

To slow the rate of growth of your larger plants you can place them at the outside of your light and place the smaller plants directly under your light. You can also defoliate the fan leaves from your larger plants to slow their growth. When your plants get to the height you wish you can also Top them.

[video=youtube;btX3l44flps]
[/video]

[video=youtube;GeDFQXGkQX4]
[/video]

[video=youtube;chMcJE8n8QU]
[/video]

[video=youtube;qq97gHZfmY8]
[/video]

[video=youtube;kgVR6ltFAWo]
[/video]

Thanks for the videos! I moved the plants to the side tray not under direct light. Once I see some real growth on the larger pants I'm going going to top them once and then start pruning lollipop style on all the plants.

Thanks for the sub fs420

My room is staying consistent at 77 degrees I'm trying to keep around 40% humidity, since my co2 ppm I'd set at 900, but the CO air is drying everything out. I any easy ideas to help bump me up for a couple weeks until I get some real respiration? I have a couple pans of water out, and that keeps it sounds 25%

20140226_011240.jpg
20140226_011409.jpg

Updated my drainage/drain tables last night. I put each tray on 2 6 in casters, and 1, 2 inch caster. I ran the drain tubes into a 7 inch tall 20 gallon rez, with a pump connected to my original out drain, on a timer. I'm hoping this new set up will allow me to add more humidity to my room too, with the open tub. My room had still been staying around 25% rh/78* in the day, and 40-50% rh/68* at night. (Should I have a larger temp swing? 64*?
It's been 4 days since I transplanted, and I'm finally starting to see some new growth. There are still a few plants (3 or 4) that are still pretty stagnant. I did see a tiny bug on the floor, when I was doing work on my trays. I'm going to do a rest spray on a medium sized plant to test it right before lights on tonight. It's a sample mix of lemon grass oil and fish oil,(ph adjusted) the grow store gave me, since I throw all my money at them. ;) I don't want to take any chance of any infestation/mold, since all my clones came from other people. Any tips or advice for prevention?

Thanks teldren, nice scrog man.

It's been 4 days since I watered with my first round of nutrients, 2 days later I watered with water, because I saw about 10% of my total leaves have about 10-15% MAX burn/ droop/ spoting. I'm going to need to feed again in 12 hours or so, my question is should I feed again with the same strength since they've grown? Or water it down?
A few of my ladies, mainly the blue dream, haven't shown a much growth, but are now in pre-flowering, are they going to take off soon? Are they stunted/traumatized? Any ideas?

Thanks! My Blue Dreams are like a freight train. They start slow but once they get rolling there is no stopping them. They start branching like mad.

Back
Top Bottom