Significant dead spots on leaves: nute burn?

akasa

It started out like this:

IMG_16051.jpg

Then turned into this:
IMG_16148.jpg

I removed that set of leaves, but there are other leaves getting worse. It's likely that I overfertilized, but I haven't fertilized in a while, and I have done a pretty solid flush of this plant. Please help; I've got no idea what to do further.

Additionally, all of the stems have purple streaks through them, and the petioles are almost solid purple.

Temp: 78
Water: Distilled, MG nutes, ~6.7 pH
Medium: plain topsoil, no nutes
Strain: White widow
pH run off: 6.7

Hey man get a scope and check the undersides of your leaves. Plain topsoil tends to have spider mites. Or gnats of several sorts... actually just vulnerable to all kinds of pests. If you dont see anything on the underside of the leaves shake the bucket or whatever its in if possible, and see if any flying critters freak out and take flight. If this still doesnt produce anything, check your soil with the scope for any larva or little bugs. That definately looks like a pest problem.

Hrm, I don't think it's pests. I've check the leaves all over, and I've never seen anything alive in there, flying or not.

Here's another picture of how it starts. The leaves are just turning yellow throughout. The dead spots start later. There are little brown spots on my other plant too. I don't know that I can afford to lose these leaves:
IMG_16153.jpg

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, unless it's a nute deficiency, in which case cutting off the nutes and flushing them was a bad thing. But this is natural soil, so it should have plenty of nutrients; plants grow outside just fine without fertilizer. So I guess I just wait and see?

I would try a flush with at least double the amount of water as your container is 1 gal container 2 gals ph'd water. See if that helps, wish I had more advice for you.

That first pic looks a lot like PM.

Hope I'm wrong.

DD

That first pic looks a lot like PM.

Hope I'm wrong.

DD

Yeah, there may be two problems, the yellowing and the spots. Maybe it's mold attacking the dying leaves. I'll be vigilant to move dead material, and get some baking soda as an antifungal. It doesn't quite look like powder mold though. I'm about a week away from flowering, so I'd like to get it figured out before then.

If it is mold/mildew going into flower before taking care of it would be pointless.

Why was that water on the leaves in your pic. I would stop misting/foliar feeding till this is cleared up.

I have my doubts about baking soda but some swear by it.

DD

If it is mold/mildew going into flower before taking care of it would be pointless.

Why was that water on the leaves in your pic. I would stop misting/foliar feeding till this is cleared up.

I have my doubts about baking soda but some swear by it.

DD

I don't mist or foliar feed. That was water from the flushing earlier. It all evaporates within an hour.

Well, flushing hasn't helped, and it doesn't quite look like burn. Maybe it's a nitrogen deficiency. It's my last hope, but I'm going to fertilize them and see what happens.

It seems to be a leaf spot fungus attacking the weakened areas. I'm going to go to home depot and get some plant fungicide. In the mean time, I increased the bulb wattage to dry them out faster, and I trimmed off any signs of the fungus. I'd rather lose half of some leaves than lose it all to fungus.

Good luck I think you may have caught it in time.
br

Hi there Akasa your choice of strain white widow is a very good one indeed, and there are meany different breeders producing this strain.
The original breeders of white widow are De Sjamaan Seeds found in the cup winner section @ freedomofseeds.com
But i think your choice of soil is probably what's causing the most problems.
When you are choosing your compost for growing a high grade strain like white widow, then perhaps you should also spend a little extra on your compost too.
The compost sold in grow shops are going to be your best bet, because its been designed for using in an indoor grow situation.
Cheap composts have loads of insect eggs and bacteria microorganisms that will cause problems just like the one's you are experiencing.
This is because the manufacturers of cheap composts don't sterilize there compost before selling it.
This is done with the use of intense heat, by cooking it in a big oven.
Then the intense heat will kill of all insect eggs and bacteria microorganisms.
If you buy a better compost from a grow shop you can then remove all of your old compost completely including from roots and you will have Immediate improved results and it will recover from the condition it is now in.
Good Luck with producing a great white widow stash best regards Sprout from freedomofseeds.com :tokin:

What stage are these plants in? Veg or flowering? Because that kind of stuff happens all the time and I'm guessing it is probably a lower leaf. My marijuana plants always have at least 1 or 2 kind of yellow messed up leaves usually toward the bottom. I think it has something to do with plant metabolism because all I use is FF ocean Forrest and no nutrients at all, just tap water. If I cut off the messed up leaf the plant just uses another leaf towards the bottom to do the same thing. May be your strains way of growing and transplant shock or who knows. Doesn't look like mites or anything too serious unless its on all leaves and you are vegging.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm going to get the antifungal/antidisease spray and use that, and otherwise just get back to my schedule. Trying to diagnose things without a botanist handy is just too hard. I have flushed them and given them a bit of nutes, so no more watering for like a week. Let's see how it works!

You can follow the results through my signature link, if you like. :)

Always start with a good compost that has good drainage, a good compost will have plenty of plant food in it, so only give the first feed 1 month after planting, always PH water and feed solution to 6.5 before feeding and watering, but do not over water, compost should dry out before rewatering, do not always feed, or you can give a mild feed every time your watering by giving half the strenth it says on pack, otherwise feed every third time your watering unless you have a hungry plant in which case feed every time your watering, turn plants so all the plant gets enough light.
these are good practices for beginner gardeners who are growing in compost.
Always use organic feeds for the best end results and you will produce a very tasty bud indeed.
Sprout from freedomofseeds.com

I have a plant that does this over watering that might be it. I did have it kicking ass after a transplant into just right extra,(I personally not liking FFOCF I think I been buying it complete with bugs and it is soggy and muddy) coco is the way to go.

hey man, i got my plants going through the same thing so i decided to research it. There's alot of good info here on the website, just gotta read around. It looks like either calcium deficiency, phosphorous deficiency, or the temperature of your soil. Roots can suffocate and even rot with cold, wet, compacted soil. Try this picture tutorial on just about every plant problem, some I've never even heard of...good luck and happy harvests!

Back
Top Bottom