Soil pH?

beerdrynkr

think my next adjustment is reading soil ph. currently i use pool test strips for all watering and nutes.use a 3 way tester which is probably not the best, have tried using the kits you mix the soil with, no avail. Give me some ideas on how to better test the soil.

Slurry Test:

1. Gather some soil from the test area (mixed sample from various points in the container if feasable).
  2. Take the sample and add equal parts of soil and distilled or deionized (DI) water in a 1:1 ratio. E.g., for 25 grams of soil you would add 25 mL of water.
  3. Stir the sample for 5 seconds.
  4. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
  5. Start stirring the sample again after 15 minutes, and take your measurement.

And, no, those 3-in-1 testers aren't much good (IMHO). Consider getting some kind of digital one. Basic manual single-point calibration models can be had for around $20 or not much more and better ones with features such as "automatic" two-point calibration, automatic temperature compensation (and display), replaceable probe, et cetera aren't a great deal more expensive. I like the Milwaukee pH56 for its feature set and accuracy, but whatever you are comfortable with that fits your budget. Grab the correct (pH) calibration solution(s) for your meter along with storage fluid (or 4.01 pH solution if you cannot find proper storage solution - never store the probe in distilled water).

Well, I'd have to pass on that - but if you've got a 24-year old single-malt down in the cellar, you are welcome to blow the dust off of it and send it my way ;) .

Back
Top Bottom