some questions before starting (building) a rubbermaid stealth grow box

mgjscdhl

First post here. I've been lurking around and looking at some growbox projects. I'm in Canada and tiny bit shy about posting. I want you to know I may make some grammatical errors and if so please ask me to explain. I've read some stuff but I'm not the type to dive in without checking how deep the pool is. I also know I need to read a bit more but want to start of with posting my ideas for discussion and (of course) help.

Whats caught my eye are smaller grow boxes; stealth pc box, rubbermaid or small closet.
I found these two posts my favorite (same guy though), but I'm sure I've missed a few other great ones.

Here is what I have so far:
2x rubbermaid boxes (18" D, 23.5" W, 16" H)
4x cflu lightbulbs (13w, 800 limens, 10,000 hr life)
1x emergency/space blanket
2x (120mm x 120mm) computer fans
thermometer/hydrogemeter.

My plan:

Plants: I want to buy some random seeds, or early flowering breed, from a shop online. They will be sativa or hybrid because I am using for medical purposes; pain releif, anti-inflamatory, sleep aid and stress/"depression". I will likely get a seedling kit/greenhouse to start with. I haven't looked at those yet without getting this box started.

I only want to grow a few plants at a time. Maybee 3-4x, nothing big since this is for personal use.

I have two boxes, but I didn't want to use both unless absolutely necessary. I was thinking if I used non-feminized plants I could seperate the female that way, or I could have some redundancy. In this example I'm using 1x box.

I want to make a "viewing" glass on side. Just large enough to see the lights are operational and to glue the thermometer/hydrogmeter to the glass for easy reading (without removing lid).

Lights: I want to wallpaper the insides/lid with the space blanket around using silver duct tape, then either buy a lighting fixture or make something with light sockets and a metalic sheet or hood. My first thoughts were using clothes hangers but afraid it would not be sturdy enough. I could hang the hood from the lid and raise/lower it if needed.

Perhaps when the box is made I can better check out the light intensity and reflectivity but right now these are my ideas. Considering I have 52w and 32,000 lumens is that enough for this scale and number of plants?? He has more lamp power but he also has more plants than I would.

Airflow: I'm undecided to buy a duct fan or use my 2x computer fans for intake and exaust. I want to follow these specs on the thread, keeping on ontop and one near bottom on opposing sides..and keep the top for exaust since warm/hot air rises.

Heat: One thing I'm not sure of is how a small box like this will heat up. The thread I meantioned didn't seem to have to many issues. I think I could try the two computer fans and upgrade to a duct fan if it has problems. Is there a way to test this prior to growing?

Filter: One hole in my design, and one of concern is filter. I am fairly worried about smell and would like to know if there are any cheap homemade filters?

Water: Well, the only question I have is automation. I briefly looked at the local gardening for irrigation systems but I dunno. They are like 50$ and don't seem to be for indoors. I also remember a commercial for a glass blown bulb. I was wondering if anybody used those? I am more or less just curious.

I know.. I need to do more reading but this is a peliminary post. I also know these forums are probably best way to get knowledge. There is so much information to soak in and so many different methods, box sizes, genetics to consider. I've watched a few videos, grow logs, and other resources, including the "Jorge Cervantes" book. I need to read more up about chemicals/nutrients and soil. I am not "green thumb" so this is a topic I know I need to work on. I thought of finding compost or organic treated
if there is such a thing. If there is anything at all wrong please let me know. If you have suggestions, comments (constructive of course lol) I want to hear it and I want to discuss it. Hopefully I can get something going pretty soon and not rely on anybody else for my weed.

thanks for viewing and I hope my grammar wasn't difficult to follow
I hope you all don't mind the post to another site
Freeballer

** quick update, I made a mistake in calculating total lumens. Its been brought to my attention I need around 6k for a plant. I am now looking into 26w, 1700 lumens lightbulbs at the local shop **

In the middle of construction. I've gotten my lights, fixtures, fans. Waiting on controller (fan speed), need fert, nutes and such for gardening side. But need my seeds, which haven't arrived. My timer, ext cord, pots and all that are here.

Did a test today for paint, using krylon fuzion (spray) I coated 1/4 so far, mostly finished one lid. The rest require second coat. My job was admitedly lousy but oh well. It just needs to reflect light. If that doesn't work I'll go with space blankets... The better kinds, or mylar/panda film.

Looking good Word Of advise.. That Rubbermaid tub lets alot of light bleed through the sides / the top/ bottom.. Make that sucker light proof or you will have algae problems in a few days .. Trust me been there done it with the rubbermaid tubs.. Good luck and make sure you light proof that sucker LOL :rollit::rollit::rollit::rollit::smokin:

Back
Top Bottom