Strange leaf bites and some spots

BioEng

Hi guys, this is my first grow, and now on day 29 from seed i'm seeing some issues. For around three days now every day i see one or two holes in my leafs. I was only able to find one grey insect, killed it, but haven't found anything else.
Here are some pics of the holes/bites, i would be so grateful for some guidance on what this probably is / what to do.

Problems-5.jpg
Problems-4.jpg
Problems-3.jpg
Problems-2.jpg
Problems-1.jpg

Thanks you guys!

Re: Strange leaf bites and some spots.

When you watered did you splash the leaves? If you get water droplets on the leaves they can act like magnifiers and cause the light to burn through the leave or scorch it. If this is not the case then I would do a very careful inspection of your grow area for bugs or mites.

Well it's not mites. Maybe caterpillars? This could possibly be genetic as well.
Caterpillars do similar damage as well as snails and slugs but very rare.

I believe that your plants in the photographs have contact burn marks. Contact nutrient burn marks can be caused by sweat, nutrient over spray and condensation.

When you watered did you splash the leaves? If you get water droplets on the leaves they can act like magnifiers and cause the light to burn through the leave or scorch it. If this is not the case then I would do a very careful inspection of your grow area for bugs or mites.

No i did not. The only time i splashed them was yesterday when i sprayed them with a neem oil solution to see if it would fix the issue. Besides that, not really.

I have just done a thorough inspection of the plants, a bit of the surface of the soil, and cleaned the whole tent. The only bug i ever saw, about three days ago, was a 1cm long grey insect, with antennae. I killed him. But it didn't solve the issue.

I believe that your plants in the photographs have contact burn marks. Contact nutrient burn marks can be caused by sweat, nutrient over spray and condensation.

You know what, the neem oil solution i sprayed yesterday said it also had some vitamins and stuff. Maybe those random yellowish spots you see are because of that. I'm not worried about those, its the holes with the black borders.

Those look exactly like contact burns from a water droplets and light. I have a few that look the same and it's from that same thing

Damn. The only way i can think this could happen is that sometimes i see some mist condensation on my leaves (because of the mist maker i have for humidity control). This might explain why i've only seen this issue on big leaves.

i agree with that. only thing i can see is ph lockout. or some type of fungus. but fungus will not make a whole. so you got a bug cutting a hole in the leaves but that one. that is brown towards the main vien looks like ph lockout. the fungus can be from humidity issues. check on that. rule out each thing. to figure it out.

Damn. The only way i can think this could happen is that sometimes i see some mist condensation on my leaves (because of the mist maker i have for humidity control). This might explain why i've only seen this issue on big leaves.

It doesn't take much moisture for the light to burn through a leaf. Keep an eye on it.

but wouldnt the leaves show stress before that, tho. i know mine will curl a little and get brittle before it burns. dont want step on toes here but just trying to help the guy out.

No, not if it is a single water drop on a leaf. It doesn't take long for it to burn through and it wont show any other signs of stress. If it is overall heat stress then yes, it would show other signs, but not so much when its just a drop of water that magnifies the light in that area.

yeah that makes since. i don't spray mine at all. heard some people do but i don't. humidity here is hard. any extra water to produce humidity here and all mine would be dead.

I will keep an eye on condensation issues. About the other yellow spots: It's only the ones you see there, and pH looks fine from last time i watered. Maybe the nutes concentration were too much (i raised it from 0.5ml/L to 0.75ml/L). Will bring it down to 0.5 next time i water.

I do not see any sign of nutrient burn on the leaf tips indicating your nutrient strength is fine.

Then i do not know really. I pH my water before, and check it after (It helps that i used all mix, it always buffer's my water to 6.2 if i'm not mistaken).

You want 70°-90° Fahrenheit and 50%-70% humidity for vegetative growth and 30%-50% humidity for flower.

You want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil.

Here is a nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

Here is a cannabis leaf deficiency chart

cannabis_leaf-deficiencies31.jpg

here is the Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver and the Plant Abuse Chart

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

Plant Abuse Chart

You can verify your soils pH by performing a runoff liquid pH test. When you water with a know input pH and measure the first runoff liquids pH level it will tell you what pH your soil is buffering the pH to.

Yes, i do this. Before planting, when i watered my mix for the first time, i did a test with slightly different water ph's (6,5 and 7,5) and both came out between the same, between 6 and 6.5 (i'm sorry, i only have one of those reaction kits for ph's, not digital, so i can measure in 0,5 increments).

Back
Top Bottom