Stretch in scrog

LiberalThinker

If you trained a plant fully horizontally along the the net in veg, then after a time, when its nearly full, allowed the stems to grow through the holes for, say, a foot above the net, would the horizontal parts stretch horizontally in 12/12 and push into the next space or would the stems follow through upwards... if that makes sense.

No. They’re naturally inclined to always go upwards towards the light, so there is no real sideways momentum. The sideways growth will mainly be a result of you laying vertical growth down on its side.

I see a lot of people talking about growing under the screen and tucking branches under. It’s sort of a misconception. Myself I see no good reason to purposely grow underneath a screen, it’s just a pain in the ass and keeps that part of the plant in the shade which is a bad thing. I rarely do a lot of ‘tucking’. I basically treat the screen as something to tie down to. Branches are lightly tied down horizontally on top of the screen- laid down and twisted and turned whichever direction works best to fill the space. I use pipe cleaners to hold things down.

No. They’re naturally inclined to always go upwards towards the light, so there is no real sideways momentum. The sideways growth will mainly be a result of you laying vertical growth down on its side.

I see a lot of people talking about growing under the screen and tucking branches under. It’s sort of a misconception. Myself I see no good reason to purposely grow underneath a screen, it’s just a pain in the ass and keeps that part of the plant in the shade which is a bad thing. I rarely do a lot of ‘tucking’. I basically treat the screen as something to tie down to. Branches are lightly tied down horizontally on top of the screen- laid down and twisted and turned whichever direction works best to fill the space. I use pipe cleaners to hold things down.
Thanks. That takes that anxiety/uncertainty away. Yes, I've thought it would be easier to tie the stems down rather than tuck... pipe cleaners is a great idea. And now that you mention it, it would be easier to do a 4-way LST that way, once I'd got the 4 main branches set up. How big should make squares of the net? 4 inches?

4” is fine, I wouldn’t go bigger. I usually use around 3”. Sometimes you’ll see a rack or piece of of metal fencing that works perfectly. Strings stretched in to a grid work fine too

4” is fine, I wouldn’t go bigger. I usually use around 3”. Sometimes you’ll see a rack or piece of of metal fencing that works perfectly. Strings stretched in to a grid work fine too
I may end up using green garden wire on a frame but looking for something already made that's knocking around.

Back
Top Bottom