Subculture M & B

KiwiKing

Just picked up this product, both the M and the B formula. They are microorganisms that work with the plant in essence creating a larger root structure. Wondering if anyone has used this product and can provide me with any information they might have.

If you posted the species included, I might be able to tell you what to expect.

Remember, a handful of good compost (not bagged stuff from the store except rare cases) has all the microorganisms you need. To extract them, you can learn to brew actively aerated compost tea (requires good equipment to brew more than 1 gallon), or just dump a bunch (about 5 times as much) of compost in water, stir, and pour. You can also filter either through a paint strainer to foliar spray.

You can also culture lactic acid bacteria from the air or use a product like EM (effective microbes), which would be much cheaper, and might be better (esp. if it contains actinomycetes and purple non-sufur bacteria).

A little reading on nutrient cycling will get you right up to speed. It's a whole different way to see your soil, in terms of systems rather than materials. Deficient plants become a symptom of a broken system, rather than a dearth of raw materials, and your job becomes systems maintenance, while the feeding is left to your "employees". The good news is: it takes less work!

Well there are about 50 different organisms in each of the M and B mixes...I am going to try GH subculture for this current grow and then try Blue Mountain Organics' Super Plant Tonic for the next one.

Do most of those fall into one category? for instance, all the lactic acid bacteria start with L. or Lactobacillus?

What kind of medium are you using? Do you feed the plant directly with salts (guano, manure, etc...)? Or feed raw materials? Compost only? And what kind of results are you expecting?

Especially if you are using a medium from a bag or with no fresh compost, inoculating your soil with beneficial microbes is a smart move.

I just looked at the subculture M label. Looks like good stuff. I would add some protozoa by getting a handful of garden soil in there. Those bacteria can't do the job alone. They still help, but it's the protists that mineralize N by eating bacteria that feed your plant.

Unless you are feeding the plant directly (guano or bottled nutes), in which case, it's a waste of time to worry too much.

Subculture m is actually fungus. Nothing really to do with bacteria. I think the m denotes mycelium, which is essentially fungus.

The mycelium, or fungus will grow on the roots making a skin of fungus that retains water and nutrients, but also works as a filter. The same thing happens in nature. Forests are sustained by massive myclelial growth underground.

I had the same idea and came across sub m when I searched. It's a great idea that should replace most products used for root health.

Back
Top Bottom