Sugar Grove Loosens Up Its Marijuana Law

Herb Fellow

SUGAR GROVE -- In an unusual move in the Fox Valley, village police plan to start writing tickets -- instead of making arrests -- for first-timers caught with small amounts of marijuana. Police Chief Bradley Sauer said the change will keep officers from spending long hours in court on minor drug charges and also allow those who slip up just once to keep their records clean. "This is a warning on steroids," he said.

Tickets for first-time marijuana possession or drug paraphernalia possession will be $200. Sauer said those fines were in line with the fees judges typically hand down in court.

Both marijuana and paraphernalia possession are state violations, but towns can change those to town ordinances if they want, said Kane County State's Attorney John Barsanti. However, village ordinances cannot carry any jail time, only fines.

Barsanti predicted that Sugar Grove's changes wouldn't affect the county's court load. "If everyone in the county did that, maybe," he said.

Sugar Grove's new ordinance appears to be a Fox Valley first. Neither Barsanti nor Sauer know of any other area towns that write tickets instead of making arrests for marijuana possession, and several local police departments said they hadn't ever considered doing that.

"All fines and possible prison time (for marijuana possession) are set by a judge," said Aurora police spokesman Dan Ferrelli.

The same holds true in Montgomery, where Deputy Police Chief Daniel Meyers warned, ""If someone is in possession of marijuana in our town, they will be arrested."

Geneva Cmdr. Steve Mexin said such a change would have to be weighed carefully. "We have not engaged in any type of serious talk about it," he said. "Before we would do that, we would definitely want to reach out to the community, the schools, the state's attorney's office."

Sauer said police will contact schools if students are caught with marijuana, as they already do with students caught drinking. He added that police can change the ticket to an arrest if they discover that it's not a first offense, or if they would prefer to have a judge hear their case. "If they want their day in court, we can do an arrest," he said.

And of course, a first-time offense doesn't always equal a get-out-of-jail-free card.

"If you have 10 pounds of marijuana on you," Sauer said, "you're going to get arrested."

Source: The Beacon News
Copyright: 2008, The Beacon News
Website: Sugar Grove loosens up its marijuana law :: Beacon News :: News

Wow thats pretty interesting stuff there Herb. I wish my town would such an ordinance as mentioned above. If they can set limits liek that on 1st time offenders it seems just as true that they carry that over to repeat offenders, not that it would be like getting the first ticket each time, but i think it would be progressive if more countys/town/[refectures were to re-regulate their protocols, its gotten way too ridiculous nowadays. - an' I def need to put an end to this rambling before i get ta preaching.

errgh still wanna say more but i know the more i say the more I want to say, frankly our country is in dire need of a priority change. Should we even stay together much longer(might be another USSR break apart). In which case we should not have a federal government anymore, in which case I think that we might have a better chance to change things on a more local level.

Most of the atempts to get things "legalized/decriminalized" are prey to politics. The problem with politicians is they dont want to piss anyone off. They want as much "funding" as is available to them, and *I knew i should have posted after paragraph one* frankly it is more profitable to accept monies from big conglomo's*not to mention being on our side makes it harder for them to move up politicaly and can posibly end ones carrer.

ok that's it i will now force quit.

peese

--me​

All politicians are only looking out for self. We've had enough politicians; what we need is statesmen/women.

Back
Top Bottom