Supply & Demand...

redeyed1975

:hmmmm: :Rasta: First off , love coming here to read all the info you all have. 2nd Is a question I have-to harvest 16-20 oz every 4 months, how many plants would I need, and how much sq feet of space would I need for that. trying to weigh all the - and + with buying and growing myself-i understand practice makes perfect- but generally speaking what am I looking at to keep me and the lil lady happy so will have a lil all the time-dont want to grow a lot just for us. thanks for all your help:cool:

For 16-20 oz. every 4 months you'd need:
16--20 plants. grown sog style
20 sq/ft of space
1,000-watt HPS

However, if you're growing from seed, assume half your plants would be male, so you'd have to start 32--40 plants and cull the males when they express sex (during flowering). And you'd initially need more than 20 sq/ft to allow for 32--40 plants.

If you want a steady supply it'd be better if you kept a few donor (mother) plants and grow from clones.

Ok I hear ya, so males are a bad thing or do you need them and if so what is the min, could you have all females and clone over and over again-so seed to to harvest is 3-4 months average-would it take the same time for a clone?about how much weed am i looking per harvest(average)good female?ive not growing yet just wanted to weigh my options, i understand it will be a lot of work, but in the long run im trying to decide wich is better grow or buy thanks:smokin3:

You shouldn't clone from a cloned plant. so what you'll need is a separate space to veg a mother plant in. You can keep a mother plant in veg and take clones off her for years. The only reason to keep males is if you want to produce seeds. Generally though, if you allow your female plants to become polinated, it cuts way down on your yeild. If you kept a couple of mothers in veg, you could take 16 or so clones every 3 months. That's about the time it takes to veg and flower a clone (from what I've read anyway). If you're not growing yet, GOOD. do as much reading as you can before you start. educate yourself well, then grow. I think RangerDangers advice is on SOG is a bit off though. No offence ment RD. SOG is most productive if you grow 8 or so clones per sq ft, and the yeild is generally 1 ounce per foot or so. Scrog on the other hand is done w/1 clone per sq ft, and can yeild up to 2 ounces per sq foot. Of course these are w/optimum growing conditions. For realy large yeilds, I'd suggest growing several plants outdoors after starting them inside in march or april. If you tend your plants well and often, you will weigh your yeild in pounds. Do some reading, them come back here w/questions. if you need some links to some good reads, PM me. Good luck man

oh, I've read that second generation clones loose a lot of viability and robustness. (if that makes sence, I can't think of the right words.)

vintner said:
SOG is most productive if you grow 8 or so clones per sq ft

I strongly disagree.
8 plants per sq/ft is WAY too many.
You don't want branches/leaves from neighboring plants blocking light. The most I've ever been able to get into a space without blocking light from neighboring plants is about 1.5 plants per sq/ft., or lets say 24 plants in a 4' x 4' space (16 sq/ft).
If you flower clones as soon as they're rooted you could fit more than that per sq/ft, but yield would suffer, because the plants would be small.

RangerDanger said:
If you flower clones as soon as they're rooted you could fit more than that per sq/ft, but yield would suffer, because the plants would be small.
Correct me if I'm wrong RD, but from what I've read about it, that ^ is the essence of a SOG grow. Plants do compete for light, and stay pretty small. Usually under 3 feet. And, yes, yeild is small, but it's a pretty fast grow. I've never really understood why you would waist so many clones when there are other methods w/much better yeilds. But it's a method someone devloped for low watt lights in a confined space, and I guess it works.
Edit: I was just doing a bit more research on this, and found that plant density in a SOG grow is dependant on strain too. Some indica clones can be flowered in a little as 0.1 sq feet using SOG, where as a setiva would require 1.5 sq ft or more.

Being a SOG grower, I'll put 2 cents more into the pot.

my last grow was 21 plants in a 4' kiddy pool, w/1KW HPS. And 4 months might be pushing it a bit, but with a SOG grow one isn't trying to develope the lower buds at first. Actually the top colas IMHO are better, bigger, and of course mature first. So, When one harvests (just the the parts that are ready for harvest) then lower the light a bit so the next layer will mature. They won't get much taller but the lower buds now receiving lite will finish, another week or so.

As to weight, to me, that's technic, I got over a pound of air buds so imagine what will happen when I get the proper feeding/water/media properly mixed!

This grow I adjusted the nute/water to where the plants are bursting at the seams, but only have 9 plants they're curing now. If anyone's interested will let ya know what we came out with.

I'd rather have what's known as a "perpetual grow". where you harvest a few plants every week, and replace them with new babies. you need to do the mother/clone set-up and will need two grow spaces. If you look at it this way you'll be holding fresh bud always...instead of trying to get a single crop of "X" weight.

20 sq. feet isn't much space...5 ft. by 4 ft....that's only a little bigger than a standard size shower. 1000 watts is alot, a 600 HPS is enough for that space. Keep in mind you can't have too much light...in relation to lumens/sq. ft.

You can keep a mother plant in veg and take clones off her for years.

First define Veg: and if you keep her for years will she not flower and produce then die?

Akornpatch said:
I'd rather have what's known as a "perpetual grow". where you harvest a few plants every week, and replace them with new babies. you need to do the mother/clone set-up and will need two grow spaces. If you look at it this way you'll be holding fresh bud always...instead of trying to get a single crop of "X" weight.

20 sq. feet isn't much space...5 ft. by 4 ft....that's only a little bigger than a standard size shower. 1000 watts is alot, a 600 HPS is enough for that space. Keep in mind you can't have too much light...in relation to lumens/sq. ft.
Instead of having to build a total seperate room you could use the flowering clone technique and just build a small clone/veg box. Maybe a small 2' x2' x2' box with a couple of Compact flouros for light. Search out "what is a flowering clone" thread to read about it.

20 square feet (140cf) is my rooms size. I own a 1976 fleetwood manufactured home with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. the master bath off the master bed has a shower and a seperate alcove with a huge bath in it. I walled off the alcove/bathtub and grow in it. I had to get super inventive with my ventilation but all in all it works kick ass. I run 5-7 plants at a time with plenty of room. They get to about 3 or 4 foot tall by harvest time and average 3-to 4 ounces per plant. I clone at 21 days into flower and run a perpetual harvest.

:hmmmm: thanks for the info man, the reason im here is im about to buy me some land and I was goin to put a double wide on it -when it struck me, put a grow room in the base ment, I was goin to get a 1500sq ft basement and block off about 300-500sq ft for the room-with it blocked up, all ive got to do is firgure a secret way in- then tackle the vintilation issue power and seal it up air tight-thats a lot of work and planning-ive never grown b4, so devoting that much time and money into a project that size is a bit overwhelming. if your saying what i think your saying you can frow all year 5-7 plants 3-4 each harvet- everybodys opion is kinda split on cloning a clone good or bad? ill guess i can try that myself and find out and report back-ive not smoked in 2and a half years so i no way to get any seeds, so i guess ill buy me a big bag and get those-is the a way to tell a good from bad seed?m to f?just from seeds- ive learned a lot in here and it will be hard for me at first, but i think in the long run it will be better growing than buying-gettin bad deals, gas money, out of stock on holidays ah well have fun and if anyone can answer any of my questions please help- Thanks:allgood:

Back
Top Bottom