Supporters: Medical Marijuana Critical for Kansas

Fourteen states allow medical marijuana. Will Kansas be next? Legislation was recently introduced to legalize the drug for medicinal use.

"I know for a fact that medical marijuana works," said David Mulford. He says it's the only thing that helps his chronic pain. "It just pains me that I have to break the law to be able to live my life in some resemblance of normal. Not pain free, but in a manner I can manage," he said.

Friday Mulford and about 20 others got together to discuss their support for the proposed legislation to legalize medical marijuana. "It doesn't legalize recreational drugs, let's make that clear," said Kansas Representative Gail Finney.

Finney introduced the bill in Topeka. She says it's time lawmakers take a serious look at the benefits of medicinal use marijuana. "Realistically why should our elected officials deny people that are in need, particularly chronic patients," Finney said.

She says the issue should go before the Health and Human Services Committee later this month. Mulford and the rest of the group will testify why they think the legislation is critical. "Who are they to say my doctor is wrong," he said.

Supports say it won't just benefit those in pain but it will also benefit the state. "I feel it could generate revenue for the State of Kansas. We should look at that from a business standpoint," Finney said.

Those against the legislation say medical marijuana is a slippery slope to legalizing the drug for recreational use.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: KWCH
Author: Kim Hynes

Copyright: 2010 WorldNow and Sunflower Broadcasting, Inc..

Back
Top Bottom