Sweet & Sour

Weekender

This season I put some of my starts in different fields in agriculture fields in the area of Northern Ohio, USA. Fields are all corn, beans or wheat around here, no woods to speak of or grassy fields, the soil is to good for that. So as you can imagine I plant in the corn. field corn grows to up to 8-10 feet tall here. In one field I found a hole where the farmer did not have the planter turned on, so it was juiced up with field chemicals with 0 growing plants, 10 yards long and 5 yards wide. I planted about 12 starts in the opening and on my first visit this week to look for boys, I was down to 4, all girls. The dang deer had eaten heavy, their tracks and poop give them away. The deer had pulled and eaten 8 plants completely, dang, I am buying more arrows for this fall. But the remaining plants had been chewed on heavily, early on. There were so many growing tips on those four plants, my gosh. The plants are now about 5 feet tall and as round as they are tall. Although I did my topping and fiming, the deer did me better on the plants as they chewed maybe a few different times, I would not have had the guts to trim them as close as the deer must have done. They have not been back in some time as the plants grew like a round ball. I have some video but cannot seem to upload it, next time out I will get some still photo's of this awesome corn grow. I still worry about deer coming back but generally they do not mess with more mature plants or at least my past history says they do not. The regular seeds need to be checked now, one more patch and I can kind of ride it out. I had also lost another whole set of 10 to the animals, but the others in other area's are looking good with no animal damage, kind of spindley but I hope they fill out as fall progresses, I am sure they will. Sweet and Sour. So now I have two things to look forward to, harvest, both deer and nugget.

Back
Top Bottom