Switching from NFT to Flood and Drain

Mojave Dave

Hi all,

As most ofyou know, I barter for all of my hydro growing equipment. Tents, tanks, electronic doodads, lights, reflectors, extractor fan/filter assemblies, Co2 kits, all of it. Oh...and all of my seeds to.

I have been using NFT tanks since I started growing my own meds, and been quite happy. But I just finished a rather large barter arrangement with Esoteric Hydroponics (I have worked on all of their sites) and I have ordered all new Flood and Drain systems. One six-pod complete with pump, clay pebblesand all, one standard four-pod (complete as well), and one complete four-pod system with clear domed tops for keeping four mothers alive and happy for cuttings indefinitely.
There are also a number of boxes full of other things I ordered from this barter deal (it had a very high value and I took advantage of that fact and went on a buying spree!) coming in the same shipment tomorrow including Cannabis-related things like gallons of nutes, additives, hardware, more electronic goodies to play with, big glass bongs, etc. I love to barter!

Now, I'm not one to plunge into things without doing a lot of boring, exhaustive research. But this time, I did. What I'd like to know is, what do you guys think of the Flood and Drain systems? Specifically if you've used the Esoteric Hydroponics brand.

Were the results any better than NFT in your opinion? Any problems? Any tips you can give me?

Thanks guys. All the best!

Mojave Dave

yeah i havnt used the particular brand. but ebb and flow systems like the one you are talking about give exelent results. i do like it better that nft. just make sure you have your overflow to the right hight or else youll flood. but they are very good systems. have fun. grow on grow strong.

SmokeyMacPot said:
yeah i havnt used the particular brand. but ebb and flow systems like the one you are talking about give exelent results. i do like it better that nft. just make sure you have your overflow to the right hight or else youll flood. but they are very good systems. have fun. grow on grow strong.

Hi ya Smokie!

I think Imade the right decision. Everything I've read about it suggests that it's better than the NFT, so I'll go ahead with a measure of confidence now, and let you know how it grows!

Take care!

I read up on those and I wanted one, but the price was outside of my range, and I dont have skills the hydroponics industry would need, I too work in Computer Graphics, but I dont know jack about HTML. so bartering is out of the question..that being said Kudos for finding a way bro...
I also read that the prime setup is a combination of ebb and flow and direct root misting system. The misting helps keep your humidity up too. let me know because if you have better results with the ebb and flow I may change my setup around, I originally wanted to build an ebb and flow, but ended up going with NFT, dispite myself...

tronix said:
I read up on those and I wanted one, but the price was outside of my range, and I dont have skills the hydroponics industry would need, I too work in Computer Graphics, but I dont know jack about HTML. so bartering is out of the question..that being said Kudos for finding a way bro...
I also read that the prime setup is a combination of ebb and flow and direct root misting system. The misting helps keep your humidity up too. let me know because if you have better results with the ebb and flow I may change my setup around, I originally wanted to build an ebb and flow, but ended up going with NFT, dispite myself...

Hi ya,

Yeah...it's looking a bit scary at the moment as I am trying to set it all up at this very moment, coincidentally.

I have a friend who lives in Holland (actually a barter client that I have become good friends with) and has been growing in similar "Dutch Pot" systems forever. So I'll get lots of advice from him. If you'll PM me when you get a moment we can exchange E-mails and all that jazz and I'll forward my correspondance (with his express permission of course) to you so you can learn it all with me, and then keep it for reference when you get yours going if you like. Be glad to help in any way I can, mate.

The trouble with being very good at "horse trading", which is the slang American term for bartering, is that I tend to collect a lot more stuff than I actually need just to use up the credit I've earned at a given online establishment.

So aside from the countless other items I have received since I started bartering for these things about 7 months ago, I now own one NFT tank, one complete six-pod F&D system, one complete four-pod F&D system, and a second complete four-pod F&D system designed specifically for propagating or keeping mother plants alive and in great condition. This one has little plastic domes that sit on top of each pot, and each pot is able to hold a maximum of five plants, giving me the capability to start 20 seedlings at a time, or keep one beautiful mother plant going strong in each pot. So it's pretty versatile.

But having a system comprised of 14 F&D pots is a lot of equipment! All the water pumps, the heaters, the air pumps, the Co2 tanks and regulators, the electronic testing equipment that mounts on the wall and monitors the status of each tank...displaying the temp/nutrientPH levels constantly on the master panel, etc., etc., etc. So it can be pretty daunting to stand back and look at it all and think, "Shit...what the hell do I do now? Where do I start??"

But it'll all be fine. I just got my new 1.2 Bud Box tent set up yesterday, and I mounted the new 150mm charcoal filter and the new 600w Son-T lamp under a Supernova shade about an hour or so ago. I'll need some help with the extractor fan though. I think I'll get some of those Yo-Yo things to make it easier to raise and lower the lamp unit.

Tell me about your graphics skills, mate. You never know...I might be able to help you learn how to trade your talent for stuff you want!

Later gator!

sounds like you have a solid set-up. Myself I grow on a small scale in a closet, just to smoke for free, more or less. I only sell enough to keep my supplies going.
I just got my new NYC Diesel seeds going, I plan on posting pics and a grow journal once they sprout (should be today or tommorow, I have to go check them still.)

as for the tips, hells yes I'd love it, with your mates permission of course. and my computer grapphic skills originate from me being in school getting my degree in computer animation, so it isn't as speciallized as what you know, but I can do anything in photoshop, after effects, illustrator, Maya (3-d modelling and animation)
pro-tools, cool edit pro etc..
I am on my way out right now, but when I log back on, I'll PM you to exchange info.
thanks and good luck bro.

John.

tronix said:
sounds like you have a solid set-up. Myself I grow on a small scale in a closet, just to smoke for free, more or less. I only sell enough to keep my supplies going.
I just got my new NYC Diesel seeds going, I plan on posting pics and a grow journal once they sprout (should be today or tommorow, I have to go check them still.)

as for the tips, hells yes I'd love it, with your mates permission of course. and my computer grapphic skills originate from me being in school getting my degree in computer animation, so it isn't as speciallized as what you know, but I can do anything in photoshop, after effects, illustrator, Maya (3-d modelling and animation)
pro-tools, cool edit pro etc..
I am on my way out right now, but when I log back on, I'll PM you to exchange info.
thanks and good luck bro.

John.
Hello mate,

My setup is only the way it is because I also support to other people who need the herb as I do. I am disabled, and use it to help cope with the pain that my Morphine patches cannot get to. So I need to grow enough at a time to be able to give lots of it away to others who cannot afford to grow their own, or can't because of circumstances, or whatever.

This is only my third grow. The first two grows were accomplished using someone else's borrowed equipment. My deal with him was half of my first two crops, and then I would have the option to buy the equipment outright.

Yeah, right. Although I am grateful to that man for loaning me that equipment to get started, he pretty much extorted a rather large "fee" from me for the privilege. I wasn't even aware that he wanted half of my crops until after the equipment was delivered and installed and full of clones.

I mean, I grew out six plants the first time (four Heavy Duty Fruity and two Skunk #1's) and four (three AK-47's and one Biddy Early) this time. Half of those two crops alone would have bought several complete hydro setups and a tent and you name it. That was worth a hell of a lot of money!

But again, I am grateful for the leg-up getting started growing my own medicine which I consume, by the way, with my doctors full knowledge and permission.

The point I was trying to make before I started to wander *grin* is that after I coughed up half of each of my first two crops and gave them to him, there wasn't much left for me and the people I take care of. We all suffered the first time, and there isn't all that much left at the moment from this last crop that was harvested about a month ago, dried, cured, and given to my friends who need it.

To avoid ever having to be in that ugly situation again, I worked very hard bartering with many online companies for the equipment I needed (I only got the very best of each item I traded for) so I would have the very best chance at the very best crops from now on. I never want to run out again! I can't afford to buy it on a disabled man's pension here in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region>, so bartering is my only option.

That's why I was wondering about your graphic skills. I have decided to put together a team of like-minded people and build a barter company. I have owned and operated several commercial Website design firms over the years, and have a good measure of business experience that I will not let go to waste just because I'm a bit under the weather from time to time.

<o:p> </o:p>So, any graphic artists, FLASH designers, or anybody else with any sort of specialized Web creation/marketing skills at all (SEO??) who would like the chance to barter for things, please PM me so we can chat a bit.

I'd like to collect a small team of talented, enthusiastic people and start bartering for all sorts of incredible stuff. You would be amazed at what you can barter Web design work for...if you know how to arrange it and just how to approach business owners!<o:p>
</o:p>

It took me a long time to perfect my approach, and now that I have that skill at my disposal and lots of time on my hands, I'm making the most out of it!

See ya!

PaRaLyZeD-420 said:
sounds interesting Mojave Dave

I think it'll be a hell of a lot of fun! A fewnice folsk with mutual interests getting together and building commercial Websites in trade for whatever. There are literaly millions of commercial sites out there that are potential barter targets, and with the going price of quality commercial Web design being what it is, the potential to trade for very nice stuff that we can all split between us if very, very good!

PM me if you like and we'll chat some more.

Later!

SaltyJustice said:
Hey where in Mojave are you from Dave?

I have some family in Newberry Springs and I use to live there during summers way back. Pretty typical insane desert city population ~50. About 30 miles East of Barstow.

Hello Salty!

Ya ever hear of a tiny little town right off the freeway called Rosamond? A bit North of Palmdale and Lancaster. Willow Springs International Raceway is right there as well. My kids and I used to build and fly large scale R/C model airplanes across the freeway at Edwards Air Force Base.

Wow...it's really good to talk to someone who knows the geography of my origins a bit. Actually, I have lived all over California, and indeed, the United States.
Born in Oceanside, near San Diego, I've lived in the LA area, Long Beach, Westminster, Santa Barbara, and Lompoc. I've also lived in Oregon (Grants Pass) as well as Chicago (Des Plaines), Colorado (Glennwood Springs and Arvada, near Denver), Pennsylvania (Stroudsberg and Kunkletown), Alaska (Haines and Whittier), and on the border of the The Yukon Territories.

Whew! Now aren't you glad I just smoked that lovely bong-bowl full of fresh Biddy Early and AK-47 skuff a few minutes ago?? Ya have me reminiscing now!

Do I miss it all not that I live permanently in England? Nope! I miss my kids, or course, and I do have little nostalgic twinges when I see an American commercial showing a lovely young lady in a thong swim suit strolling around. *sigh* And, I miss my three grown boys who live there still. One iis LA, one lives in Lancaster, and the oldest resides in Oregon.

Well, I think I'll pack another bowl of the high-actane shit and dream about California. Oh...and gluteous to the maximus!

Thanks for the memories, Salty!

Dave and Smokey, just wondering why you think flood and drain will be better than NFT? The reason I ask is I am thinking of switching to NFT. Reading up and looking at a few journals and it appears to be the second fastest and second biggest yields after aeroponics, but with a lot less hassle than aeroponics. So just wondered why flood and drain may be better as may have to consider it as an option?

Thanks

Nft systems breed algae, algae will consume your nutrients, flood and drain is more stable easier to take care of folks. ime..

I am running an ebb and flow with 2 controllers and 2 tents, you can actually buy the ebb and flow controller unit in a kit that you can assemble, and a 6site expansion kit(buckets and tubing) for under $200. You will love the ebb and flow as long as you have a ph, ppm/ec, temp meters, and as mentioned the top float is the max height of the flood so make sure your medium and plants are set at the correct height

I design/develop and provide online marketing such as facebook/twitter/adwords etc...
I have to learn to look at post creations dates lol
Hello mate,

My setup is only the way it is because I also support to other people who need the herb as I do. I am disabled, and use it to help cope with the pain that my Morphine patches cannot get to. So I need to grow enough at a time to be able to give lots of it away to others who cannot afford to grow their own, or can't because of circumstances, or whatever.

This is only my third grow. The first two grows were accomplished using someone else's borrowed equipment. My deal with him was half of my first two crops, and then I would have the option to buy the equipment outright.

Yeah, right. Although I am grateful to that man for loaning me that equipment to get started, he pretty much extorted a rather large "fee" from me for the privilege. I wasn't even aware that he wanted half of my crops until after the equipment was delivered and installed and full of clones.

I mean, I grew out six plants the first time (four Heavy Duty Fruity and two Skunk #1's) and four (three AK-47's and one Biddy Early) this time. Half of those two crops alone would have bought several complete hydro setups and a tent and you name it. That was worth a hell of a lot of money!

But again, I am grateful for the leg-up getting started growing my own medicine which I consume, by the way, with my doctors full knowledge and permission.

The point I was trying to make before I started to wander *grin* is that after I coughed up half of each of my first two crops and gave them to him, there wasn't much left for me and the people I take care of. We all suffered the first time, and there isn't all that much left at the moment from this last crop that was harvested about a month ago, dried, cured, and given to my friends who need it.

To avoid ever having to be in that ugly situation again, I worked very hard bartering with many online companies for the equipment I needed (I only got the very best of each item I traded for) so I would have the very best chance at the very best crops from now on. I never want to run out again! I can't afford to buy it on a disabled man's pension here in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region>, so bartering is my only option.

That's why I was wondering about your graphic skills. I have decided to put together a team of like-minded people and build a barter company. I have owned and operated several commercial Website design firms over the years, and have a good measure of business experience that I will not let go to waste just because I'm a bit under the weather from time to time.

<o:p> </o:p>So, any graphic artists, FLASH designers, or anybody else with any sort of specialized Web creation/marketing skills at all (SEO??) who would like the chance to barter for things, please PM me so we can chat a bit.

I'd like to collect a small team of talented, enthusiastic people and start bartering for all sorts of incredible stuff. You would be amazed at what you can barter Web design work for...if you know how to arrange it and just how to approach business owners!<o:p>
</o:p>

It took me a long time to perfect my approach, and now that I have that skill at my disposal and lots of time on my hands, I'm making the most out of it!

See ya!

Back
Top Bottom