Taxes Don't Support Hemp TV

Despite popular beliefs, taxpayers' dollars don't support a controversial public access television show devoted to discussing marijuana called Hemp TV.

Matt and Cindy appear to be getting high while "smoking" on the show and fielding questions ranging from the benign–"I am getting it for MS" — to the, well, stoned — "I'm in the middle of the f****** woods!"

"It's not just one opinion," says Cindy. "It is just pretty much to open the debate about the war on drugs, but most specifically about the war on Marijuana."

The shows producers defend the program as an example of freedom of speech.

Mike Trujillo, the public access station's program coordinator, says what the group is doing is totally legitimate and does not cost taxpayers.

"The is a federal mandate that cable carriers give monies to what is called PEG funds, public education and government channels," he explains. "So essentially, if you have Comcast cable, there is a small fee that comes from every subscriber, and I believe it's 44 cents."

Trujillo says the City of Albuquerque is not involved with the station other than collecting funds from the cable company and providing them to the public access station.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: KOB.com
Author: Austin Reed
Copyright: 2010 KOB-TV, LLC

Back
Top Bottom