Temp too hot!

Legalize09

Just checked the temp. and found out my box had an alarming temp of 90 f**kin degrees!...i only have one fan (6") and i know i need to get a new fan but cant afford it for qa couple days...i decided to open the box (its just cardboard fit around a shelf) and keep my room fan on and the temp has droppeed to around 80 degrees.... the problem is that i cant keep it open during the time when i am sleeping b/c it is so bright i couldnt sleep at all.

does anyone think its just because my lights are too low (they are around 12 inches from top of the canopy and it is a 400w MH) or do you think its just i need another fan?

regardless i will get another fan but i wanna here yall's input and see what YOU would do until i get another fan

Re: Temp too hott!

Cut a small hole opposite the fan on the wall of cardboard at ground level this should allow at least a small amount of fresh air into the area.
Also I would open the window in the room to allow what I would guess would be cooler air into the main room itself which should lower the temp a little anyways.
I can usually manipulate the temp in my tent 5 degrees either way by opening or closing my room window 4-5 inches either direction.

Was your temperature reading at canopy level?
I am not an expert but I feel that's where it counts the most, an oscillating fan would stir the air up and help inside the enclosure also.
So for right away fixes, I say open the window and try and allow more air to flow into the enclosure.

I have the light sitting on top of one shelf and everything below it is closed in with card board. The light is a sunsystem 2 and on the side it has a spot for me to unscrew a panel and put a duct to vent the heat. I bought the piece that allows the connection but I don't have ducts to take the heat out. Should I take that piece off in the meantime? since my enclosure is not light tight ( lots of wholes for air to get out) will intake and exhaust wholes make a diff?

Please look on my journal to see an outside pic of my enclosure (look at the second pic of it..the first is without the cardboard)... Sorry I can't put a pic directly...the wife is watchin a bootleg chick click on my computer so I'm forced to play around on my iphone

??

Just checked the temp. and found out my box had an alarming temp of 90 f**kin degrees!...i only have one fan (6") and i know i need to get a new fan but cant afford it for qa couple days...i decided to open the box (its just cardboard fit around a shelf) and keep my room fan on and the temp has droppeed to around 80 degrees....

With adequate water and a good stiff constant breeze from a fan, MJ will transpire enough moisture to aid in its own cooling. In fact, I've seen some large plants in a hydro scrog setup transpire gallons of water a day. Of course without supplemental CO2 they won't exactly be growing much, but they shouldn't expire right away either.

the problem is that i cant keep it open during the time when i am sleeping b/c it is so bright i couldnt sleep at all.

I take it you've never been through boot camp, lol. You would have learned to sleep when, where, and for as long as you can - including "dozing" while marching.:cool:

I bet if worse comes to worse and you give up and TRY sleeping with the light on, soon enough you'll manage to do it. It may take two or three days (If it turns out to be seven or eight days before you get a minute of sleep you'll probably have some really neat hallucinations - trust me!).

does anyone think its just because my lights are too low (they are around 12 inches from top of the canopy and it is a 400w MH) or do you think its just i need another fan?

regardless i will get another fan but i wanna here yall's input and see what YOU would do until i get another fan

I wouldn't consider 12" too low at all. Especially if you're just using a 400-watt lamp.

Sounds like what you need is a sealed air-cooled fixture. Not only would you be able to pull cool air in from OUTSIDE of your GR to cool the light and exhaust it outside of the GR as well, but they have a piece of glass between the bulb and your plants so that when you drop the light - due to the GR temperature suddenly being much cooler - and your plants start growing much faster, they won't be able to actually grow "into" the bulb.

Legalize09 said:
reply about temp thread

what if i do not have a piece of glass between the bulb and the plants? could that be the cause the heat? i just took the side piece off where the air ducts attatch and i used some spare dryer ducts to attatch to it and it seems to vent a lot of hot air...it seems to have brought the temp down 5 degrees...

the whole getting used to the light is not an option bc of my girl...
so are you saying that if its not air tight the intake exhaust thing doesnt work? should i add an intake? i have plenty of edges and parts on top where air can get in.

would maybe a bigger fan solve my whole proble,m?? sorry to ask so much but i really cant give up on these plants!!

I am replying to your PM in your thread so that it may help others. And, of course, so that if I screw up, someone can call me on it and correct me;).

I am not saying that it will not work that way. As you have seen, it did produce a temperature drop.

But... Does your oven have a vent/exhaust? If so, preheat it to 450°F and turn on the vent and leave the oven running for an hour (bake something if you like lol). The kitchen will probably heat up but not nearly as much as it would if you didn't run the vent.

Now, with the oven still at 450°F and the vent running, open the oven door wide and leave it like that for another hour. Is your kitchen a lot hotter? That's an air-cooled light that is completely open to your GR.

Now... Another issue: Close the oven door again. Go outside and smell the vented air from your oven. Now return to the kitchen, open your oven door back up, and drag a bunch of flowering MJ plants in front of the open oven. Go back out and smell your oven vent air again. Hmm?

A sealed air-cooled light - assuming you get the intake air from somewhere OUTSIDE of your GR - exhausts hot air, but not hot STINKY air.

One open to your GR exhausts hot air that smells like pot lol.

Back
Top Bottom