Tennessee: GOP Medical Marijuana Bill Needs More Work

Jacob Redmond

House Speaker Beth Harwell, R-Nashville, indicated a new GOP push to legalize marijuana for limited medical usage is headed in the right direction, but lawmakers probably won't vote on the measure this year.

"I believe that that bill will ... need additional study because the commissioner of public health would like to have some input on that as well, so we're still in the process of finalizing that," Harwell told reporters Thursday.

The bill is one of two that seeks to legalize medical marijuana in some cases that is sponsored by Republicans. A bill from Rep. Jeremy Faison, R-Cosby, allows people suffering from severe seizures to use cannabis oil in certain circumstances.

Although that measure has met little opposition in the House or Senate, it is narrow in scope. Recently, Nashville Republican Sen. Steve Dickerson and Rep. Ryan Williams, R-Cookeville, announced they were changing a bill to create a system to allow for the growing, processing, distribution, regulation and consumption of some marijuana products for certain medical reasons.

"I think Representative Ryan Williams has done an outstanding job with the bill that he has, which is well thought-out, very limited to certain instances and limited in the fact that it is a patch, or an oil, or an inhalation," Harwell said.

"He's been very, very cautious that we're not doing anything other than just providing this for those people who would desperately need this as an alternative."

As Harwell noted, the bill would allow some patients to use a cannabinoid-based product that comes in the form of an oil, a patch or an inhaler; the oil could be added to food products as well.

Only people with certain "debilitating medical conditions" could use the medical marijuana after registering with the state. The conditions include stage 2 through stage 4 cancer, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, intractable seizures, Crohn's disease, Huntington's disease, some cases of spinal cord damage, and in cases of improving quality of life for people with terminal conditions.

In an interview Thursday, Dickerson said he acknowledged there were still some issues to work out with the bill. He said he planned to try and move forward with the legislation this year but readily admits it's a complicated issue that could take more time.

"I knew when I launched this bill that there was a possibility it might not succeed in 2015, and so I went into it with full expectations this might be a multiyear process," Dickerson said.

Since introducing the bill, Dickerson said he's heard criticism on three fronts. Most of the criticism is from people nervous the bill is the "camel's nose under the tent" for decriminalizing marijuana. Others have questioned the science of how effective a treatment medical marijuana might be. Dickerson said he's not pushing for recreational marijuana and he believes the growing body of evidence shows that, in some cases, marijuana has a positive medicinal impact.

On the other end of the spectrum, advocates have complained that the bill is too constricting. It sets fairly strict standards on who could actually grow the marijuana: There's a $50,000 nonrefundable application fee, and growers must prove that they have experience growing marijuana, in addition to a series of other requirements.

Other components also make advocates nervous: The law would require anyone who is registered and allowed to use medicinal marijuana to surrender their driver's license. The law also would make it a crime for anyone to use the medicinal marijuana within line of sight of someone under the age of 18, presenting possible problems for parents with debilitating medical issues.

Dickerson acknowledged there are some narcotics that could present more issues for drivers than marijuana with low THC, the component in the drug that makes it a popular recreational drug.

"When bills get written, there are some things you want to kind of put in as negotiating points, and there are some things you want to put in as absolutes," Dickerson said.

"But I think if we start with that – anybody that uses this has to give up their driver's license – I think that kind of draws a line, and at that point we might be able to move that line back and forth somewhat."

As the bill stands now, though, he thinks it provides the vehicle necessary to create a program to provide patients with the best medicinal product for their condition.

The bill is set for discussion Wednesday in the House Health Committee and the Senate House and Welfare Committee.

13732.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: GOP medical marijuana bill needs more work, Harwell says
Author: Dave Boucher
Photo Credit: The Associated Press

Back
Top Bottom