Texas Medical Marijuana Bill Introduced

Katelyn Baker

State Sen. José Menéndez on Tuesday introduced a bill to legalize medical marijuana in Texas.
Menéndez, a San Antonio Democrat, said medical marijuana can provide pain relief for patients with glaucoma, cancer, muscular dystrophy and other diseases and can be safer to use than other prescription pain killers.

"This is not a partisan issue. This is a medical issue," Menéndez said. "I don't understand why this particular set of molecules that make up cannabis are any different than an aspirin or a hydromorphone."

Menéndez introduced a similar bill in 2015 that died in committee. The Legislature that year instead adopted a more limited bill approving the use of cannabis oil for people with juvenile epilepsy.

Twenty-eight states and the District of Columbia have legalized medical marijuana. Eight states have approved recreational marijuana use.

While marijuana advocates have enjoyed widespread success pushing legalization measures at the state level in recent years, a new hurdle may be emerging at the federal level: President-elect Donald Trump's planned nomination of U.S. Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., as attorney general.

Marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance under federal law, meaning it is illegal throughout the country for medical or recreational uses. The Obama administration has allowed states that pass legalization measures to regulate the industry.

Sessions, however, opposes legalization and could force states to end their programs or arrest growers and sellers.

At a committee hearing in April, Sessions said, "Good people don't smoke marijuana."

"We need grown-ups in charge in Washington to say marijuana is not the kind of thing that ought to be legalized. It ought not to be minimized," Sessions said. "It's in fact a very real danger."

In Texas, Menéndez still faces an uphill battle in advancing marijuana legislature through the GOP-controlled Legislature and gaining the support of Gov. Greg Abbott.

In 2015, Abbott signed into law the bill that approved the limited medicinal use of cannabis oil, which has been found to be helpful in controlling seizures but does not produce the euphoric effects associated with other uses of the plant. At the time, he vowed to oppose a comprehensive medical marijuana bill like the one being proposed by Menéndez.

"I remain convinced that Texas should not legalize marijuana, nor should Texas open the door for conventional marijuana to be used for medicinal purposes," Abbott said at a bill-signing ceremony. "As governor, I will not allow it."

RalphBarrera.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Texas Medical Marijuana Bill Introduced
Author: Sean Collins Walsh
Photo Credit: Ralph Barrera

Back
Top Bottom