The biggest buds in the world...

Caber1

is what I'm hoping to harvest. If not the biggest, maybe just some nice juicy ones.

However on this road I think I may need a guide or two...if you would be so kind.

My first question is about a dome over the seeds after they have germinated and you have put them into the rockwool starter block.
After a seedling sprouts it's contyledon leaves should I take the plastic dome off?
I read somewhere that you should, so after seeing those leaves come up after three days under the dome I took it off and before we went to bed we checked it and the two seedlings didn't look so healthy anymore.
Which brings me to another question. How wet is wet when we talk about rockwool cubes?
We think that maybe we should have given more water even though the sides of the cubes were fairly damp.
We didn't and now we're feeling guilty.

I'm going to be using the ebb and flow method so anyone who has used this also, please feel free to let me know, because I certainly haven't been able to find much information anywhere else.

OverGrow:rollit:thankyou:

After a seedling sprouts it's contyledon leaves should I take the plastic dome off?
I do unless they might freeze at night, then I only use a dome at night on them.
Sorta depends on your grow area, humdity below 30%?

How wet is wet when we talk about rockwool cubes?
aren't they set in a tray with water in it?
They hold water at all?
I'm a dirtDude and rockwool has always been a hydro thing to me :cheesygrinsmiley:

using the ebb and flow method
I suspected as much :cheesygrinsmiley:
Howdy and Welcome to the BrotherHood :cheesygrinsmiley:
Hydroponic Gardening - 420 Magazine

Beginners Guide to Hydroponics

Hey Damago,
Even with the dome off the humidity was over 40%.

As far as I know the rockwool cubes are soaked and then just kept wet like any other medium. And like any other medium, if they stay too wet too long, then I think root rot is not far away.

Thanks for the welcome and the answers. Still hoping the hydro folks will wade in. LOL No pun intended.

when using rockwool to sprout seeds, you should presoak your rockwool in water and 1/4 strength flowering nutes for a couple hours before putting your seeds in. when its time, take the rockwool out of the water and shake it till water stops coming out of it. you can still feel there is a good amount of water in the rockwool at this point. plant your seed and leave it in a humidity dome till they sprout. i keep in the humidity dome untill they are ready for the dwc unit or whatever.

you wanna keep the rockwool moist not wet. dont leave it in standing water. dont wet it to the point that water drips or leaks out of the bottom. you dont want to let the rockwool get dry either because the rockwool itself has no nutritional value unlike soil where its ok if you leave them dry an extra day.

Hey NoLogo,

Thanx for the reply.

I did soak the cubes in a PH balanced water (5.5) prior to planting the seeds, but no nutrients because everything I've read tells me that seeds have all needed nutrients built right in for their initial sprouting.
I don't doubt your experience. I'm just wondering if adding the nutrients to begin with is maybe overkill.
We did keep the dome on for the first few days of sprouting, but then noticed a white crystal like growth starting on the cubes and so we took the dome off and it appears to have solved that problem. If indeed it was going to become a problem.
My wife keeps the blocks fairly moist without them becoming waterlogged, but I can't help wondering why they sell those white trays with a removable black, slotted, inner tray. Would that be more for the clone side of things?

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom