The Fish Story

RangerDanger

I'm fortunate enough to live within walking distance of one of the premier trout fishing rivers in the West--the Trinity River.

So last year I was eager to fish and right after the opening of trout season I go to the local store to get a license, but they were sold out.
Where I usually fish is kinda off the beaten path and I've never seen Fish and Game there, so I figure I'll fish anyway and get a license in a few days when I go into a bigger town.
I put my Pocket Fisherman in my pack, grab a bucket (I like to keep the fish alive until just before I cook 'em) and head for the river.
I had good luck and within a hour I caught 3 nice 15" 'bows swimming around in the bucket. That was enough for me and my bro so I put my Pocket Fisherman away, grab the bucket and was about to head home when up pulls a Fish and Game truck. I had to think fast--fishing without a license is like a $500 fine.
The F & G guy comes up to me. He's a big dude with a chrome plated gun in his holster. He says "I don't see your license sir."
"I don't have one" I say.
"Do you know what the fine is for fishing without a license?"
"Oh I wasn't fishing"
F & G guy looks at the fish in the bucket.
"Oh I didn't catch those" I say--"these are my pet fish."
"Say what?"
"Yeah I keep 'em in a big tank at home. Every week I bring them here and put them in the river so they can swim around a bit. After about 10 minutes I whistle and they swim back and jump in the bucket and I take em back home."
"You expect me to believe that?"
"Here, I'll prove it to you" I say, empty the bucket into the river, sit down on a rock a light a cigarette.
After I finish the cigarette I stand up and say "Well, see ya later."
"Hey wait a minute. When are you gonna call them back?"
"Call who back?"
"The fish!"
"What fish" I say, and go home.

Yep. I know when it's a story from RD, it's gonna be a belly-washer!

More, More, we need more!

around here if you dont have a fishing pole in your hand they cant bust you for not having a license, it doesnt matter if it is laying beside you with a fish pulling on it just dont claim it; thats here in arkansas though

Back
Top Bottom