The Wave Function of the Universe

Mercury Trismagistus

"We cannot allow the Steel General and his minions to escape from this solar system. We really need to be on the same wavelength on this. Am I making myself clear Mr. T.?"

Thoth looked up at the image of Amon Ra on the Telescreen above.

"We came out of Hyperspace too close to the Primary, my Ummo. If we use the
weapon at this range the ships Main Drive could be badly damaged."

"How long do you estimate it will take to repair it?"

"Under current circumstances at least fifty million solar cycles"

He pretended to be looking at something on his Tactical Display so the Ummo couldn't see his eyes. He hoped that the Ummo didn't already know about the unique organic compounds that he had detected on the Third Planet."

Amon Ra grinned down and crossed his arms across his chest.

"Mr. T, you are truly a card after my own heart. Now, as head of the Ummite Empire, I order you to arm the Weapon."

Thoth, Elendil, and Glider each entered their authorization codes into the ship's computer.

"The Weapon is armed my Ummo."

Amon Ra pointed down from the Telescreen at the planet beneath the ship.

"Now, Fallen Ones, you shall at last feel the wrath of the gods. Fire the Weapon now!"

The Counselor initiated the Negative Wave and kicked on the sound system all in one easy motion. The planet below them seemed to crystallize, and then it exploded outward in a billion pieces, each one flying away like a comet. And, as the ship Rocked, they couldn't hang on and they couldn't stand still. It made him think, not for the first time, that if the thunder doesn't get you...then the lightning will.

As the ship stabilized, they looked out the Main Viewer at the expanding Asteroid Belt.

"Well, there's another happy landing. I do so love good works, don't you Mr. G.?"

"Bah"

Glider turned away with a dismissive gesture.

The Counselor grinned at Elendil and got a wink in return.

"Oh, and by the way Mr. G., could you possibly take me to the Third Planet? I have detected some potentially useful plant alkaloids there!"

Glider didn't even bother turning around as he punched in the coordinates, but his lip was tight.

"Get You"

Back
Top Bottom