Think this has a chance to work?

WillyBudz

A good freind of mine just called me and we had a chat about LED's. He is an electrician and is going to try and make a LED grow light for himself. He does not have a Size for the fixture yet but is going to use white painted sheet metal / framed and commercial grade Christmas lights similiar to these.

1 string of 70 white total 70 white 5500k 80 lumens per bulb
2 strings of 70 blue total 140 blue ?????k 50 lumens per bulb
3 strings of 70 red total 210 red (warm white) 2100k 50 lumens per bulb
So 420 leds......... similiar to these. The red has a red led not just a red plastic case, same with the blue.

1391600801p.jpg

1391479301p.jpg

Says he wants to pack them as close together as possible drilling holes in sheetmetal to mount them in..... approx 1" between lights.

I know nothing about LEDs, does this even have a chance to work??? lol
The ones he is looking at are $15.00 a string, said he could build it for $100 or less including everything but his labour. I will keep track of it and post some pics when he gets it started.

:peace:
WillyB

When I first discovered LEDs, it took me about 2 hours from looking at overpriced grow lights to thinking of ways of building my own. The problems I ran into had to do with size of each LED and wattage of each rope.

I found it hard to find big LEDs and make it more cost effective then using CFLs. If you google LED rope lights there is a site that sells rope by the foot and at a very reasonable price. They also have orange LEDs that are in a good range for growing.

Keep us updated because this idea has crossed my mind but I never pulled the trigger.

hey
it may work depending on how bright the l.e.d's are, i did try using some ultra bright blue l.e.d's which was a failure (too much excessive cable from the lights)
I had some premoulded xenon style l.e.d's i bought for my car in the past so thought id try them today
P040111_22_23.JPG

Thier 12 volt and total 14 watts for 96 l.e.d's they've been facing the plant for 5-6 hours and the fan leaves on the side where thier facing seem to be heading towards them rather then the hps i have.
Im going to leave them like this for 2-3 days and see what happens, if they make the plant do any better then im planning on purchasing atleast 15-20 strands and gluing them to a offcut of 3/4 inch ply,total cost £35 so not too much really for an experiment

Back
Top Bottom