Thoughts on adding a second pane of glass to my air-cooled hood...

TimeWreck420

Hey guys,

I'm new to growing and the only problem I'm having with my current grow is keeping the temperatures down. I was wondering if anyone has done/has an opinion on doing this. My only concern with doing this has to do with the absorption of light by the glass. If anyone has any information or thoughts on this, please contribute. It will be very much appreciated. I'm currently running a 600w MH unit and the temps stay between 80 - 90F during the day.

Thanks,
TimeWreck420

I honestly doubt that a second sheet of glass or a thicker piece of glass will really stop your heat issues. I'd consider just adding more airflow, or reworking to LED lighting to control the heat

Welcome to 420.

Even though glass is transparent, it is not without matter which refracts light. I believe I read 5% for 1/8th inch and 15% for 1/4 inch glass. Having glass doubled may also act as a magnifier creating more heat or a hot spot. Yes, less light more heat is what I remember about glass and light.

Now that I consider it more, with some of my own projects, there might be a way to pull off what you want. but, it requires some work. Double paned glass is usually a sandwich of glasses, with a hollow void that either holds a light inert gas, or holds a vacuum. Cheap ones hold dead air. Holding the vacuum creates a space where heat is blocked, though it will still pass some IR light through the media. However, you'll probably have to set it up with reinforcement in between the glass layers, and find a way to get it airtight and seal it. Not impossible, and some glass places could do it too.

Back
Top Bottom