Thread Bug

Sometimes, when I post a reply in a thread, I am informed that there are new posts in it and am asked to click in order to view them. Since I've already read to the end of the thread, this is a bug. Also, because clicking on this link takes me to the post I just created, it's a bug.

If no one else is able to replicate this, I suppose I can make a video recording of it some time next week. But it happens often enough that I'm guessing I'm not alone in witnessing it.

Sometimes, when I post a reply in a thread, I am informed that there are new posts in it and am asked to click in order to view them. Since I've already read to the end of the thread, this is a bug. Also, because clicking on this link takes me to the post I just created, it's a bug.

If no one else is able to replicate this, I suppose I can make a video recording of it sometime next week. But it happens often enough that I'm guessing I'm not alone in witnessing it.

This isn't really a bug. It depends on where you start making your post, and if someone makes a new post before you finish.

I've had this happen a few times, where there wasn't a new post, but mostly It's to alert you to new information you may want to include in your current post. Also, your post will first appear exactly under what you replied to. If you refresh the page, you will see there is more ahead even if you have read them. The system is a little flawed in that respect, but posting 3 pages back from the last page can confuse it. I've had that happen almost every time.

I know it's aggravating, but it's hard to code something that is perfect.

Just my opinion....

This isn't really a bug.

The system is a little flawed in that respect

Bug, flaw... cold water, water that has little heat... it's snowing, there are little bits of frozen white precipitation coming down... it's too dark to see, there isn't enough light to see...

That apple is rotten. No it isn't - it's spoiled ;) .

I know it's aggravating, but it's hard to code something that is perfect.

Just my opinion....

No, lol, I'll concede that it's pretty much a fact. Last time I wrote more than a few lines of code at a time was back in the '80s, but I remember things being awesome - until they were actually used.

The whole purpose of bug reports, AfaIK, is to inform the developer(s) of issues so that he/she/they might then know about them and (presumably) choose to fix them. I'm kind of hoping that this issue gets fixed, because it occurs regularly.

I'd also like to see the "post a reply in a thread and then attempt to navigate said thread by using the spacebar (or Shift + spacebar) causes the forum to choke" bug get fixed - but I can avoid that one by (s l o w l y :rolleyes: ) retraining myself to just not do that, so I can get to the point where I never again encounter that bit of bad code.

IDK what the "industry-standard difference" (lol) is between a bug and a mere annoyance. But, to me, the latter is something that I can avoid by changing my actions, while the former is something that appears regardless.

Maybe we are seeing different things.

I'm on a Desktop, and I see this notification if I'm replying on page 12 of a thread, that has 24 pages, even if I have read them all.

I have had a few instances where I've had the notification when I'm on page 12 of 12 and at the last message. But I've only had it occur a few times.

If you quote a message three pages back I would think it may do it as well.

Exactly (although I've seen it when I am already on the last page, and have read all the posts in it because there are NO new posts at that time).

It's like the software loses track of my place in the thread. It should not do that (IMHO). Especially since the software (as is all modern software) is written with the knowledge that multiple people will be using the forum at the same time. It would be different, I suppose, if this were still 1984 and we were using dial-up to connect to our local BBS - and, therefore, multiple simultaneous users were somewhat rare (although I remember one that had quite a few incoming "lines" even at that time) - which meant that the developer could be excused for assuming that two or more people would ever post into the same message thread at roughly the same time.

This might be an easy bug to fix. Or it might be one of those tricky ones that leads to much hair-pulling and gnashing of teeth on the developer's part, IDK. I'll admit that, to date, I have not bothered to visit the developer's bug tracking web page in order to see if this issue is even a general one or specific to our particular implementation of it. I'm not exactly equipped with a good set of mental filters (that's an understatement, BtW), and since I have been actively discouraged from discussing or mentioning specifics about the software, I have a legitimate fear that I might one day do so if I start "hanging out" on the developer's forum. Since, for various reasons, the LAST thing I want to do is to piss Rob off, I am intentionally limiting my bug reports to here. It's also why I've been trying to avoid the big "new forum software" thread, lol; I "b!tch and moan" at least as much as the next person, and also... have issues that make learning new things rather difficult. It finally occurred to me that I might be whining about a thing that is only partly a forum issue (or even, theoretically, zero percent forum issue) and mostly a "~TS~" one, so to speak. If/when that happens to be the case... then me griping about a thing is not only unhelpful, it is bound to be annoying. I figure I'll wait a couple more weeks, maybe a month, and then try to read that (those?) thread(s) in "read-only mode," so that I can try to pick up any tips/how-to information that others have created by then (probably with a notepad and pencil, so I can make myself a cheat sheet).

Exactly (although I've seen it when I am already on the last page, and have read all the posts in it because there are NO new posts at that time).

It's like the software loses track of my place in the thread. It should not do that (IMHO). Especially since the software (as is all modern software) is written with the knowledge that multiple people will be using the forum at the same time. It would be different, I suppose, if this were still 1984 and we were using dial-up to connect to our local BBS - and, therefore, multiple simultaneous users were somewhat rare (although I remember one that had quite a few incoming "lines" even at that time) - which meant that the developer could be excused for assuming that two or more people would ever post into the same message thread at roughly the same time.

This might be an easy bug to fix. Or it might be one of those tricky ones that leads to much hair-pulling and gnashing of teeth on the developer's part, IDK. I'll admit that, to date, I have not bothered to visit the developer's bug tracking web page in order to see if this issue is even a general one or specific to our particular implementation of it. I'm not exactly equipped with a good set of mental filters (that's an understatement, BtW), and since I have been actively discouraged from discussing or mentioning specifics about the software, I have a legitimate fear that I might one day do so if I start "hanging out" on the developer's forum. Since, for various reasons, the LAST thing I want to do is to piss Rob off, I am intentionally limiting my bug reports to here. It's also why I've been trying to avoid the big "new forum software" thread, lol; I "b!tch and moan" at least as much as the next person, and also... have issues that make learning new things rather difficult. It finally occurred to me that I might be whining about a thing that is only partly a forum issue (or even, theoretically, zero percent forum issue) and mostly a "~TS~" one, so to speak. If/when that happens to be the case... then me griping about a thing is not only unhelpful, it is bound to be annoying. I figure I'll wait a couple more weeks, maybe a month, and then try to read that (those?) thread(s) in "read-only mode," so that I can try to pick up any tips/how-to information that others have created by then (probably with a notepad and pencil, so I can make myself a cheat sheet).

I figure you are on a desktop or Mac. What browser are you using?? I know Rob will ask. I don't like calling him by his first name, due to us, not every really conversing.

I didn't, for years. But I "get the feeling" (lol) that he has made no secret of who he is and what he does (and that's great, for he has much to be proud of!). See:
Cannabis Warrior - Rob Griffin

I still don't, most of the time. That kind of slipped out. For those who value their anonymity (or who have reasons to fear, should their name ever be discovered, in relation to their activities), I respect that, completely understand, and try very, very hard not to use their name even if I know it.

But, really, who wouldn't wear their... cannabis stance like Superman wears his cape, if they could safely do so? I know that I'd love to "come out of the closet" (or more accurately speaking, bring the grow out of the closet). It'd be great to not be so <BLEEPing> paranoid about cannabis-related activities (I'm sure I'd find something altogether different to be paranoid about ;) ). Because cannabis doesn't make me paranoid - my government's stance on cannabis does.

Anyway...

Right now, I am using Firefox, version 59.0.1. I think I also have Midori installed, and a little text-only browser (Lynx), although the latter is not the easiest thing in the world to use with modern websites being so graphics-invasive and all. And I tried to tolerate Chrome off and on for an entire week, once. But I don't like it even a little bit (personal preference), and most of my security / anominity / protection / informational / utility browser add-ons probably aren't available for Chrome. Although I was told recently that Google is not quite so "anti ad-blocker" as it used to be, having so many other ways to bend you over the nearest chair and data-rape you - so that's something, I guess.

And, yes, I am using a "traditional" computer (i5 laptop, 6 gig, blah blah blah). I do have a cell phone, but choose not to use it for this forum. The display is MUCH too small, the keyboard is nonexistent, and - unlike my laptop's Internet access ;) - my cell phone is tied to my identity via the account and bill that I pay each month. Not that using it "for cannabis stuff" would be an automatic bust, obviously, because thousands (millions?) of people do so every day without (one assumes) giving it a moment's thought, or applying an iota of common sense - but it does open a "security hole" large enough for the entire planet to fall into without even brushing the sides, IMHO. If I was a kid still living in Mommy's and Daddy's house - and they were dumb enough to spend hundreds of dollars on buying me a cell phone instead of expecting me to earn my own money to make such a nonessential purchase myself - then... No, still wouldn't do cannabis on my phone. I generally don't stand on my front porch smoking a bowl, either, lol. (Back porch, OtOH... ;) )

EDIT: Here's some irony for ya. I just posted in Sue's COB thread, and didn't get that "There are new posts since..." notification. BUT THERE WERE NEW - AND UNREAD - POSTS IN IT!!! WtF, lol?

You are using the same browser, as I. I'm running an AMD, but still, it was built for a gaming rig. I did game up to about 9 months ago.

I'm the same as you. I'm in a draconian location with laws from the last century. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't know where my laptop ranks in terms of power. I received it (used)... IDK, four or five years ago from someone who felt that he had taken unfair advantage of me in a three-way transaction involving a ~90-year old 23-jewel railroad pocket watch ... cash ... motorcycle. I didn't think so at the time, considering the fact that I was finding it hard getting anyone to offer grocery money for the watch, and the person drove me across three states to get the motorcycle (and then back home, with it), but he was insistent that I take it. And the only way I could use the laptop that I had at the time was by shining a really strong flashlight into the screen, so I did not require much in the way of arm-twisting. But it's fast enough for email, playing video content, and for running NetHack (NetHack forever, lol!), so I guess it's adequate for my needs.

Besides, if we reach a point where a high-end computer is necessary for basic web surfing... we have gone too far.

Our laws are... middle of the road, I guess? If caught, you'll go to jail - but you'll get out eventually. LEO is all over the place in enforcement, though. People get nailed for the smallest infraction, sometimes. Other times... I was chewed out for stinking up an entire multi-use building by one. Chewed out, as in not arrested (or even fined). It's probably some combination of people arresting (because they can) the @ssholes... and of @ssholes arresting (again, because they can) people.

I am trying to train myself to ignore this bug, BtW. When I'm in a good place, such things are relatively easy. When it's pain and darkness, however, it can be a bit of a struggle.

Back
Top Bottom