Tiny tiny flying pests!

Frogtownusa

Got some little tiny bugs flying around inside my tent especially up by the light. I’m sure they’re on the plant too. Sprayed with been oil last week but it seems like there’s more . . Almost like flying dust particles. What to do?

What are your plants in? Soil? Coco? Hydro?

Sounds like those little fruit fly size/no-see-um gnats.

They LOVE soil/potting mix, especially when it's damp. They breed worse than rabbits in that shit. You can treat the top of the soil, but it won't hold for long. The answer? Sand. Good old sand from like a sandbox. The Home Depot, Lowes, etc have smallish bags of it labeled as "play sand."

You'll need about 1/4"-1/2" on top of the soil in the pot. The sand is like glass to those little buggers, and they will not go near it. This breaks their life cycle, as you've taken away their breeding ground. Their life cycle is super short, so combine that with about 1/2" of apple cider vinegar in the bottom of a coffee cup in your tent (I'd use 2 or 3 cups) and you should be rid in a few days.

In addition to that, if you want to try and get them when flying, take some super sticky packing tape and fold it around a few yellow sticky notes with the sticky side out. It may take a minute to get that right, as it's completely the backwards way to use tape, but it works. Makes a little DIY fly strip, and the yellow attracts them when flying.

Now if you're in Coco, you may need to get some cheesecloth bags, or pantyhose, or similar to put the sand in. You don't want it to wash into/through the coco (or soil less mix) and go to waste.

If you can you may need to water from the bottom to keep the top of the soil/mix dry. The inside will be good, but the top stays dry. This is another deterrent as they need a moist environment for their eggs.

I know a few have scoffed at this idea, but believe me it works and works extremely well.

Now you'll also have them in the house in other places too. They like dark and damp. So think sink/bath tub drains, etc. Keep the drains closed when not in use for about a week, and combined with the sand (use sand with any house plants too, and water from the bottom) will have your house rid of them in a week to ten days.

Back
Top Bottom