Too soon for Res Change? (DWC)

voltron

Hi 420. Anyone please share your opinion on this. I changed my res two days ago, with a low strength nute dosage due to me not having a ppm tester. Last night I mixed the same strength nutes and topped her off with that to help overcome some deficiencies. I just received my ppm tester and I tested the remaining water that I had left over from last nights topping off and it showed ppms around 431-434 ( low right?) Oh yeah I vegged her for over four weeks working out res/nute issues, and placed her into flowering 20 days ago, she's slow but very bushy she showed her sex on day 15 all without a ppm meter (lucky)I wouldn't suggest it especially for a first timer. It helpes your learning curve when you burn the other plant that was growing with this one. I would like to know if I can change the res again today with a proper dosage of nutes? She has shown some signs of deficiency in her older leaves and just yesterday she had a couple few (not so) old leaves near the top but more middle area with the brown rust like spots around the edges. I was able to keep new growth from yellowing once she started by adding more bloom and epsom salt since the 11th of Nov. I think I will test the ppm of the current res(the one the plant is in now) and see where that is currently, but regardless I know that it should be low and I would like to finally give her what she has been lacking. Should I continue to top off for another couple of days alternating water feeding with gro/bloom&epsom feeding? Or does anyone think since the last water change was mixed with the same amounts of nutes that gave me 434ppm, I should be ok with just changing the res tonight with a higher ppm. If so, is 800-900ppm ok to shoot for since I'm not really sure what will be too much I do know that 434 isn't going to cut it. Thanks for the help in advance. Oh this is some pretty tough bagseed to have survived and turned female. LOL:thanks:

Really? Maybe the question was buried too deep in all that ramble. Can you change a DWC res after you just placed a res with nutes within two/three days without flushing? Thanks for any responses. Even if you say your not sure, lol. :ganjamon:

Just to be clear.

You're asking, "Can I change my reservoir again even if I just changed the reservoir, which had nutrients, within two - three days without flushing the plants?"

If that's what you're asking, I ask, why are you doing that?

Yes you can do it, I don't see much of a problem with it, depending on how long a previous flush took place.

first off your going to want to ppm the water first before you mix. I don't use my water cause the ppm is to high and I have an R.O. system that gives me a 10 ppm for my start water.
If the ppm of your water is 200 and your ppm reading with nutes is 434, your only adding 234 ppm's of nutes. And that is very low for where your plants are at.
for right now I would be adding more Bloom and Micro into what you have now working the ppm up to 800. A tad of grow just for the nitrogen to help out the leaves. Say bumping it up a 100 a day.
Keep an eye on your ph and res temp, you should be good.

Really? Maybe the question was buried too deep in all that ramble. Can you change a DWC res after you just placed a res with nutes within two/three days without flushing? Thanks for any responses. Even if you say your not sure, lol. :ganjamon:

You can change the res every hour if you want. The reason to change the res is to get rid of the salts and waste products from the roots, and to add fresh nutrients (all at the right levels). As if your plants are at a buffet, and you are replacing all the food at once every three days. Instead of just replacing what is being eaten over a week or so.

In my last week of flowering, I will change the res three times. Not sure if it is actually helping the plants or me. :)

Not saying you are doing this, but I know on my first grow I was super worried about every little thing.

Prairie

Just to be clear.

You're asking, "Can I change my reservoir again even if I just changed the reservoir, which had nutrients, within two - three days without flushing the plants?"

If that's what you're asking, I ask, why are you doing that?

Yes you can do it, I don't see much of a problem with it, depending on how long a previous flush took place.

Hi, JJ that's it. I wanted to change the res because I had just received a ppm tester, and I was anxious to change the res again to try to get her properly fed sooner than later. I had been under feeding her trying to get the schedule down and afraid to burn her with my GH nutes and without a ppm tester. Thanks for the reply sorry I am just getting back to this, I thought everyone was too couched locked to reply lol.

I did change the res and got extremely bold and went near full strength and I top off daily with either ph'd tap water or 1/2 strength nutes, depending on what the levels ppm at. So far no more signs of def and no burns. :thumb:

Thanks again for your reply.

Why not just add more nutes when it needs water slowly bringing the ppm up.

Only reason was I had been winging the nutes/water levels until that day my ppm tester arrived. Figured if it was ok to change than great get her on a proper feeding schedule. Thanks.

You can change the res every hour if you want. The reason to change the res is to get rid of the salts and waste products from the roots, and to add fresh nutrients (all at the right levels). As if your plants are at a buffet, and you are replacing all the food at once every three days. Instead of just replacing what is being eaten over a week or so.

In my last week of flowering, I will change the res three times. Not sure if it is actually helping the plants or me. :)

Not saying you are doing this, but I know on my first grow I was super worried about every little thing.

Prairie
Thanks for the insight. And you are soo right. I am super worried and I didn't have the one tester that I needed to help me feel comfortable with playing with the nutes. I'm not sure if I mentioned I had one fatally during week two of veg with the other plant going too much nutes and I burned her bad. I pulled it and began babying the one I have now. I tried a little recovery but was so disappointed that I pulled her. So yes super paranoid ever more. LOL.

first off your going to want to ppm the water first before you mix. I don't use my water cause the ppm is to high and I have an R.O. system that gives me a 10 ppm for my start water.
If the ppm of your water is 200 and your ppm reading with nutes is 434, your only adding 234 ppm's of nutes. And that is very low for where your plants are at.
for right now I would be adding more Bloom and Micro into what you have now working the ppm up to 800. A tad of grow just for the nitrogen to help out the leaves. Say bumping it up a 100 a day.
Keep an eye on your ph and res temp, you should be good.

Thanks for this as well. I need to check my tap ppm so I will know where I am actually starting. I did bump the nutes up and she is handling that well. I think I do need to verify my res temps due to my roots look a lil browner than I would like. This may be slowing growth but I'm not sure first grow and all. I've recovered once from some rotting with cold water bottles in the res I need to just go get a 10 therm and call it a day. Thanks for the sound advice. Bty there has to be a better way for me to reply to everyone without posting reply for each of you guys replies. But thanks to all for your help!!

Thanks for this as well. I need to check my tap ppm so I will know where I am actually starting. I did bump the nutes up and she is handling that well. I think I do need to verify my res temps due to my roots look a lil browner than I would like. This may be slowing growth but I'm not sure first grow and all. I've recovered once from some rotting with cold water bottles in the res I need to just go get a 10 therm and call it a day. Thanks for the sound advice. Bty there has to be a better way for me to reply to everyone without posting reply for each of you guys replies. But thanks to all for your help!!

Yep, at the bottom of a Post you will see a "+ button right be side the Quote button. You hit that button, go to the next post and see if you want it Quoted back and hit that same button if you want to. Then on the last post you want to Quoted, hit the Quote button and all those ones you hit the "+ on will all come up so you can reply to each of the post in one post.

Roots looking a little brown sometimes is not a bad thing and just colored from the nutes. If you start seeing slime, then your headed for trouble.
I always keep an eye on my res. temp. keeping that in the proper range can make a grow very easy.

Yep, at the bottom of a Post you will see a "+ button right be side the Quote button. You hit that button, go to the next post and see if you want it Quoted back and hit that same button if you want to. Then on the last post you want to Quoted, hit the Quote button and all those ones you hit the "+ on will all come up so you can reply to each of the post in one post.

Roots looking a little brown sometimes is not a bad thing and just colored from the nutes. If you start seeing slime, then your headed for trouble.
I always keep an eye on my res. temp. keeping that in the proper range can make a grow very easy.

Thanks again Camaro. My roots may be fine, not slimy just a lil brown. I "think" I am having slow bud growth although she stretched quite a bit for the first 3 1/2 weeks. Now at the 4th week and she has been fed properly I hope to see the bud growth pick up. My stems have gotten greener from the purple look it had for many weeks, hopefully that's a good sign of her eating well. I think I've been stressing too much but I'm really excited, seeing her start from a wet paper towel... to this. Guess I should have and will keep note with my personal grow journal ( I will be starting one here, just paranoid about pics) of all the advice and knowledge received from folks like yourself whom have helped my grow thus far. I'm sure once I start seeing the final results a lil bit of my paranoia will be replaced by pics of the success. :yummy:

I'm sure you are keeping an eye on pH, but one other area I didn't think of when I started was the res temp. You need to keep that in control also, I like mine around 65 to 68, but I'm ok up to 74. Much higher than that and problems start popping out.

Prairie

I'm sure you are keeping an eye on pH, but one other area I didn't think of when I started was the res temp. You need to keep that in control also, I like mine around 65 to 68, but I'm ok up to 74. Much higher than that and problems start popping out.

Prairie

Thanks Prairie, I have not checked my res temps at all. The water is at best room temp. I occasionally place frozen water bottles inside the res when I think the temps have spike a bit. But I do need to get a therm and keep it at a more optimum temp. Right now my leaves around the bud site are clawing a bit have you guys had any experience with this? Maybe too much nitrogen? The leaves are healthy other than that even the fan leaves. Maybe a flush with a cool res and replace with only bloom nutes? Does that sound doable midway thru flowering? I am currently looking this issue up, thanks for your advice.

Hey Voltron,
Haven't seen the curling you mention on mine, so sorry no help there.

Res at room temp is usually not a good thing, unless you have a cooler room than most. My flower closet runs around 78, flower around 80 to 84. The idea temp is I think 68F. Supposedly that temp is the best one for dissolving oxygen into the water. If you go higher, then you help the nasty things hanging around to grow and cause problems.

Prairie

Hey Voltron,
Haven't seen the curling you mention on mine, so sorry no help there.

Res at room temp is usually not a good thing, unless you have a cooler room than most. My flower closet runs around 78, flower around 80 to 84. The idea temp is I think 68F. Supposedly that temp is the best one for dissolving oxygen into the water. If you go higher, then you help the nasty things hanging around to grow and cause problems.

Prairie

No problem with the curling, from research I believe it to be too much nitrogen. I am in the middle of flushing now, and will feed nutes later tonight with very lil micro and lil over half strength gh bloom. I am looking to be around 750-800ppm since the 1140ppm were too high. But, I would like to have my res temp in order for the next res change. So, I will have to get a thermometer for the res and at least keep cool manually for the next few weeks. I say this because I will primarily grow Hempy style for the next few grows using Osmocote+ no need for a res therm at that point. But for now I need to take care of my currently lady. I have been encouraged several times on this link to handle the res temps and I will heed you guys advice. Thanks Prairie! BTW. My hempy that is in the tent now looks beautiful in the fourth week of flowering and every leaf looks perfect to my newbie eyes. Go Hempy/Osmocote:ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom