Torch Passed To Prince Of Pot's Wife

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Jodie Emery, wife of the self-styled Prince of Pot Marc Emery, is moving ahead with business plans for the Cannabis Culture Headquarters store.

Emery is replacing her husband as sole director of Avalon Sunsplash Ltd., the parent company of Cannabis Culture, following his arrest last week.

Marc Emery was taken into custody at B.C.'s Supreme Court Sept. 28. He faces the possibility of extradition to the United States on charges of conspiracy to manufacture marijuana and is expected to plead guilty in return for a five-year sentence.

A previous licence application to the city for the business at 307 W. Hastings St. was denied last summer, in part because of her husband's previous convictions on drug-related charges.

The new application should be filed within the next two weeks, according to Emery, who said she's "almost 100 per cent certain" the application will go through, as the majority of city council's problems with the business concerned her husband's involvement.

Emery doesn't have a criminal record, she said.

A search of B.C. court records did not turn up any charges or convictions against Emery.

Council can refuse licence applications if the applicant has been convicted of a crime within the past five years, particularly if the crime relates to the proposed business.

Emery is also maintaining her political career as policing critic for the Green Party of B.C., and is slated to run in the Vancouver South riding in the next federal election.

She said the campaign is intended to inform the public about her platform, not necessarily to win seats.

"I'm not running to get votes. I'm running to get the message out," Emery said.

Avalon Sunsplash's additional business application for the 420 Convenience Store at 316 W. Hastings St. was denied, and the store was shut down, last year.

The company withdrew an application for the Hastings Pot Block's upstairs administrative offices last July because there was no need for a business licence for the political headquarters of the B.C. Marijuana Party, according to lawyer Kirk Tousaw.

Tousaw, who is representing Avalon Sunsplash, said he expects the licence for Cannabis Culture's retail store to be approved.

"I can't think of a reason why the city would refuse a business licence," said Tousaw, who is also executive director of the Beyond Prohibition Foundation.

Cannabis Culture attracts tourists and reflects the culture of the Hastings neighbourhood, according to Tousaw.

He added that there are at least half a dozen similar stores in Vancouver. "Tourists leave, maybe having bought some hemp clothes or literature," Tousaw said. "I don't think the city should be in the business of [restricting commerce]."

Vision Coun. Geoff Meggs said city staff would review the application when it comes in.

He added that he does not have any reservations about the licence application right now but will form an opinion once staff has presented the relevant information to council.

"I can't say I have any at this point, not knowing anything behind it," Meggs said.

Marc Emery's lawyers are filing a submission to fight his extradition to the U.S. Tousaw said it could be a month or more before a decision is made.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Vancouver Courier (CN BC)
Copyright: 2009 Vancouver Courier
Author: Janaya Fuller-Evans

Back
Top Bottom