Total EC of Nute Solutions

dray86man

So here's the question as I'm setting up my Ebb & Flow system:

Tap water is great, nice & soft w/ a background EC of 0.5.

Using Ionic Grow per the recommended concentration gives a total EC of 2.0, less the background of 0.5 for a net EC of 1.5....just about right, as I'm trying to hit and EC of 1.8, less background.

NOW add in the recommended concentration of Cal Mag & the EC total jumps to 2.5, less the background for a net EC of 2.0....just a bit high.

QUESTION: When adjusting the EC of the nute soln., does the grower adjust EC for the nute alone and then add adjuncts, or are we considering the TOTAL EC of the nute soln. taking into account ALL nutes, adjuncts, etc?

All EC measurements taken w/ Blue Lab Truncheon after temp. stabilization.)

Thanks.

It is the total EC of the solution - with all nutes and additives - including pH up or down.

The best thing to do is to mix things all up, then if you are off on your EC - use water for dilution.

The best thing to do is to mix things all up, then if you are off on your EC - use water for dilution.

Thanks for the prompt rely. :thumb:

My thought was to mix main nutes according to target EC (in my case about 1.8 above background), and then add adjuncts and call is "square".

My understanding is that chemical "burn" can result from too much of the primary nutes, specifically nitrogen and phosphorus along w/ potassium.

QUESTION (and not doubting, just thinking): If we're accounting for ALL dissolved solids and adjusting EC accordingly, wouldn't this method tend to dilute the nutes from the primary source, i.e. our main "grow" or "bloom" nutes?

My thought was to mix main nutes according to target EC (in my case about 1.8 above background), and then add adjuncts and call is "square".

There is no background level of nutes. To the plant, everything in the water which adds EC counts.

My understanding is that chemical "burn" can result from too much of the primary nutes, specifically nitrogen and phosphorus along w/ potassium.

QUESTION (and not doubting, just thinking): If we're accounting for ALL dissolved solids and adjusting EC accordingly, wouldn't this method tend to dilute the nutes from the primary source, i.e. our main "grow" or "bloom" nutes?

Yes, you are diluting the nutes from the primary source. This is what most nute vendors recommend. As long as you get the ratios correct - you will be OK.

And, the worst is nitrogen and phosphorus - as far as burning the plants. Phosphorus is actually an acid when in water - same with the nitrogen - though nitrogen exists in several forms - some of which don't even show up on the EC. Potassium is a salt - and overdosing is very similar to us over-eating on salt - we are left dehydrated.

I second "great4life".
I use ionic as well (grow / bloom / boost), I have never needed cal mag...
You are right to stay toward 1.8, I do the same.

I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on an RO unit:

Amazon: Watts WP5-50 Premier Five-Stage Manifold Reverse Osmosis Water Treatment System

I'll dispense w/ the faucet & rig the outlet to a 50 gallon drum w/ a float valve.

Great life knows his stuff. Reps++
I know somebody that only adds 200 ppm of total nutes, because his water is so full of stuff.

Never burns them and never has a problem with deficiency.

Yup, support chap (Ian) at Growth Technology, makers of Ionic nutes, says same as you guys when I emailed the exact question posed in this thread. Here's his reply:

"I would would go with a working solution of 1.8 EC, Include your tap water EC into your final reading.

Best regards, and Happy Growing, Ian."

Back
Top Bottom