Town Meeting Allows Pot Dispenaries Only In Adult Entertainment Zone

Truth Seeker

Town meeting voters Saturday night adopted a zoning amendment that woud limit the location of medical marijuana dispensaries or treatment centers to the adult entertainment zone, despite some concerns that the local regulations were too restrictive.

The Planning Board, acting on the precautionary principle, was prepared to initially seek a complete ban of medical marijuana dispensaries or treatment centers. However, the Planning Board quickly retooled its original article after state Attorney General Martha Coakley earlier in the week rejected a ban voted by the town of Wakefield.

The regulations were adopted by a vote of 97-34.

Under the zoning amendment, a dispensary or treatment center would only be allowed in the adult entertainment district near the Northboro town line by special permit. Additionally, the amendment also stated that the town's agricultural use definitions would not include marijuana cultivation.

J.J. Malone, also an Advisory Finance Committee member, proposed a further amendment to have a sunset date of March 31, 2014, attached to the zoning amendment, which would force the town to review the regulation.

Planning Board Chairman Lester Hensley said his board reserved the right to review and relax the regulations if they prove to be too strict once the state Department of Public Health issues and implements its regulations. Drafts of the state regulations are expected to be released later this month and could be in effect by the end of May.

"Without this bylaw we have nothing," Mr. Hensley said. "We are beholden to whatever comes out of DPH. With this bylaw, we can at least exercise some control over our future."

Mr. Malone, in proposing his amendment for an expiration date of the regulations, said the wording of the bylaw made it still an outright ban, primarily due to the notation that a special permit will be issued by the Planning Board in compliance with all relevant state, local and federal laws. Marijuana is still considered a Schedule 1 drug, and as such illegal under federal law

"Medical marijuana will not be moved from Schedule 1 in any near term," Mr. Malone said. "what they have here is a built in excuse not to issue a special permit. It is an outright ban."

Town Council Gregory Franks advised voters that he didn't think Mr. Malone's amendment on the town meeting floor would hold up under review by the Attorney General's Office because it was a significant change made after public hearings were already held. He also warned that any special permit issued under these regulations would be grandfathered after the expiration date.

Cassandra O'Connor, a resident of Roy Street, said the bylaw was too restrictive and the town should wait for the DPH regulations before it acts.

MMJ12.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: telegram.com
Author: Donna Boynton
Contact: CONTACTS - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com
Website: Town meeting allows pot dispenaries only in adult entertainment zone - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com

That makes sense. While the politicians and serial killers are out trolling for victims on the seamy side of town, they can score hookers, blow and LEGAL weed.

And, if anyone recognizes you there, it is all hush hush.

I'm a grandmother of 7 beautiful grandchildren and I totally RESENT the thought of having to go to the nasty part of town for my meds when I would not go to such a neighborhood otherwise. I would feel at risk as soon as I stepped out of the car, and that is probably why they decided to put medical dispensaries in that district. Shame on them for their meanness.

It is the bigotry.

You must be uneducated, poor, and on welfare to be a patient...so the seamy side of town isn't that far a trip geographically or metaphorically. That is the condescending message our leaders are sending.

Back
Top Bottom