Vanderbilt University Hosts Medical Marijuana Symposium

Robert Celt

The medical marijuana debate continues in Tennessee.

More than 75 people packed a cannabis symposium at Vanderbilt University Thursday night.

Debra Beckman was one of them. She has been battling cancer for three years.

Beckman said a sample of cannabis oil during a trip to California that changed her life.

"I was able to eat and sleep. It helped a lot of my pain problems. It helped ligament issues and other issues I didn't think I had," Beckman said.

Beckman wants Tennessee to follow suit of other states who legalized medical marijuana.

"It should be available for people to use just so they can take it in a responsible way and not have to spend the rest of their life in federal prison for having something that helps them with their health," she said.

The symposium featured several speakers, from public policy experts to medical experts like Dr. Kimberly Vera.

Vera too said she saw firsthand how marijuana cures. Her husband suffers from a neuropathic pain syndrome.

"It sort of takes your breath away to know that there is something out there that can take the person you love most in your whole world that will make them better but you don't have access to it," Vera said.

Current Tennessee law allows doctors to recommend a low dose of cannabis oil to epileptic patients.

Public policy expert John Hudak believes legislation needs to be more comprehensive.

"The best things states can do to respond at least if they want to ensure safety is to regulate it," Hudak said. "And right now, students and others are not using regulated marijuana. They are using what they get off the street."

Those who oppose legalizing medical marijuana said it's a slippery slope, and can lead to abuse of more dangerous drugs.

Some also argue there is not enough research to support whether it is effective.

Jar_of_bud.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Vanderbilt University Hosts Medical Marijuana Symposium
Author: Liz Lohuis
Photo Credit: Flickr

Back
Top Bottom