Ventilation Filter

Kwest78

420 Member
Goodmorning growers! Setting up my first indoor grow and my tent is a small16x16x48 and I had a question in relation to the placement of my ventilation filter. Since my tent is small, I'm concerned with the light (Viparspectra UL LED Full spectrum 300W) being too low close to the plant (Cindy 99) with my filter inside. So I'd rather set my filter outside of the tent and work it as an exhaust filter. This would allow me to set my light up higher giving my plant more room and less heat on it. Does this make sense? Or is placing the filter inside as an intake a must for better ventilation and odor control? And if I place the filter inside would my light damage my plant being that close. I'm a new grower so feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It's still an exhaust filter, regardless of which of those two ways you set it up. Either way will work; the first is merely more efficient (or so I have read), and you can use the prefilter as it was meant to be used.

Make sure there are no leaks in the joints, the ducting itself, and even the fan housing. That guarantees that, whichever way (of the two you illustrated) you set it up, all of the air exiting your grow tent will be forced to pass through the filter.

Hey.
Do you even need an exhaust filter?
What are you exhausting into? Can it be smelt, can a fan/air russtle be heard?
The idea behind having a filter on outgoing air is simply smell and or sound.
If neither is a worry, no, do not use one, it reduces airflow, hence your fan would run more efficient without, unless fan/filter bought as a 'set', being paired together for efficiency. Then too you still have to swap/wash filters every so often.
Mounty
and a 300w led does not throw off that much heat. My 275W I can drop to 12-20 inches, approx 30-50cm with no tip burn. your light is yet a little newer, hardware better (???), so worry not.. GLWG!!!

Do you even need an exhaust filter?

Well, gee, I don't know, lol. But I have had quarter ounces that were double bagged in Ziplocs that would completely stink up an automobile in a couple seconds. Call me paranoid, but I've always been far more comfortable when there was sufficient odor filtration in place. Of course, I always grew more than a ¼-ounce at a time ;) .

If you think your grow doesn't have a noticeable odor, leave the house for a weekend and then return - or invite a non-consumer over and see if they start giving you a funny look. We tend to either not notice or subconsciously minimize the affect of odors when we are immersed in them for any real length of time. That's why people are always the last ones to smell themselves :rolleyes: . . . .

Agreed, for sure. BUT, what if he is in say 2nd/3rd floor, exhausting to the outside, no neighbour, or windows thereof, nearby. The smell would disipate, and if it were not too much of a warmth difference, say in winter, between what the tent vents and what the outside air temp is, no one would be the wiser.. how many people vent up through unused chimmneys?? If the air were to be sucked right back into the neighbours A/C, front door, bedroom window, agreed, I couldn't install enough filters..
Mounty

Back
Top Bottom