Washington Medical Marijuana Garden To Close

Robert Celt

A collective medical marijuana garden will shut down on July 1.

The garden is located at Tom Paul's greenhouse on First Street.

It will close to comply with a new state law prohibiting collective gardens within 1,000 feet of a public park.

The Legislature recently decided laws allowing collective gardens were a little too permissive, and restricted their locations.

The law goes into effect July 1, at which time Paul says his garden will be completely phased out.

Paul said he opened the collective garden a couple of years ago, but first considered the option five years ago.

His doctor suggested he get out of the construction industry then, he said.

"I had a ganglion cyst on my wrist," he said.

The problem got worse with surgery, and he turned to a traditional Mexican medicine made from marijuana. After using the lotion on his wrist, the cyst vanished.

"I don't want to give people the wrong impression," he said. "This is a medical marijuana collective."

Although he considered starting a garden under medical marijuana laws, he was advised against it by a police officer.

After Initiative 502 passed legalizing recreational marijuana, he said the risk was low enough to start the garden.

"I was still concerned about how close to the park it is, but the laws were clear," he said. "I consulted with my lawyer and the police before I did anything."

Collective members share garden costs including renting space from Paul, electricity and security.

After July 1, collective members will probably start buying marijuana at recreational retail outlets, he said.

"It's very expensive," he said. "And they'll have to drive to Prosser. It's a shame."

Tom_Paul_of_Sunnyside_MMJ_Collective.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Washington Medical Marijuana Garden To Close
Author: Laura Gjovaag
Photo Credit: Laura Gjovaag

Back
Top Bottom