Westford Medical-Marijuana Bids Spur Debate

Christine Green

Westford - With uncertainty heading into the November election with a ballot question on legalizing recreational marijuana, the Board of Selectmen was hesitant to take steps forward in the process of approving two medical marijuana facilities eyeing spots along Route 110.

The two registered marijuana dispensaries seeking locations in Westford - Seven Point of Massachusetts and Nature's Remedy of Massachusetts - withdrew their applications for a letter of non-opposition at the meeting Tuesday night, in an effort to avoid a negative vote by the board and allow more time for the consideration of their facilities.

Andrea Peraner-Sweet said the issue was personal to her and her family.

"I am simply being asked to cite, is it allowed in Westford, and is it allowed in the zone," she said. The answer to both is yes.

"That's all, in my mind, we're being asked to do tonight," she said.

Getting a letter of non-opposition from the Board of Selectmen or City Council is just one step in the process for an RMD to get permitted in Massachusetts.

"Like Andrea, I know people who have been very sick and this is beneficial to them and I have a lot of sympathy to that," said Selectmen Chairman Kelly Ross.

But, the chairman said he was also concerned about crime, and was interested in seeing what happens on the ballot in November before making any final decisions.

For resident Vicky Geary, a RMD would go against the "rural character" of the town that attracted her to Westford.

"What values do they portray about this town," she asked. "I say, slow it down, put on the breaks. Why do we have to be in a hurry."

Nature's Remedy attorney Valerio G. Romano said value is what an RMD could bring to Westford.

"The value that Nature's Remedy brings is about helping people. It's not about selling weed," he said. "I don't understand how somebody can talk about values, about helping sick people, that's our obligation."

Despite the board's uncertainties of what the RMDs could do come November with the possible legalization of marijuana, Romano tried to quell nerves, saying that neither his client nor Seven Point, could sell recreational marijuana if the ballot question passes.

Though selectman Don Siriani said he could not deny the clear health benefits some patients receive through medical marijuana, he said he had been contacted by multiple residents who had concerns about the dispensaries.

"I still feel like with a ballot question really just months away that could transform the marijuana laws in our commonwealth," he said, "I don't feel that I could vote for a letter of support or a letter of non opposition."

Selectmen Mark Kost and Scott Hazelton were on the same page, both saying they were not inclined to provide a letter of non-opposition Tuesday night.

"We've already got Ayer and Lowell close by," Hazelton said referring two of the six dispensaries currently open in the state. "It's a 15-minute drive to get a 60-day supply."

With the confirmation that both RMDs were withdrawing their application for a letter of non-opposition, the board took no action and will consider future proposals from the companies at a later date.

Marijuana was just one hot topic on the agenda Tuesday night. Selectmen also heard from Ebi Masalehdan, the Groton businessman and developer seeking to build a restaurant on 66-68 Boston Road, an iconic town parcel known as the gateway to Westford.

Masalehdan's first proposal to amend the agricultural preservation restriction on one part of the land to build his restaurant was voted down at Town Meeting last month.

Tuesday night, he came back a proposal that decreased the size of the restaurant down to just more than 23,000 square feet. His original plan was for a 38,000-square-foot building.

But Siriani, who was participating in the meeting remotely, had major concerns about some amendments to the APR, including a reference to the town's right of first refusal. Town Counsel will answer questions before the board moves forward with the altered proposal.

But the plan still received harsh feedback from residents.

"This project, to me, is nothing more than an urban blight," said Boston Road resident Bob Krankewicz.

bud-hand.jpg

News Moderator: Christine Green 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Westford medical-marijuana bids spur debate - Lowell Sun Online
Author: Melissa Hanson
Photo Credit: Caribbean 360
Website: Breaking News, Sports, Weather, Traffic - Lowell Sun Online

Back
Top Bottom