What keeps deer away from your garden?

Weedpipe

420 Member
i was thinking about goin with a pepper wax spray ... anyone ever used this? what would be a good system to keep them away? or is it even possible?

Re: what keeps deer away from ur garden?

you couldn't do a tall net fence like wine grapes? i dunno about sprays

tall stealthy fence hmmmmmmm u might have answered my other ? about plants to hide my garden with i am going discuss this partner a more detailed description of ur system would b great

go to your local hydro store... they sell a liquid that you spray around your plants an it keeps deers away from your plants G.L. on your out door adventure

i got 2 kinds of spray 1 is a pepperwax the other is a powerful odor repellant that deer are supposed to hate , says also repels other animals like rabbits, ect ect

im going to use a combo and will give a review of my results this fall

the pepperwax was $10 and the odor repel was $13

If you grow in that area often or you would like to grow in that area often, I would consider placing a few traps for them. Nothing that would hurt them, just some 3 ft. stakes that are covered in the odor repellant and various animal scents. I used these stink decoys for 3 summers and never had any problems. I would also look into buying some type of food safe pesticide to spray on the foliage that is around your plants. This will keep all of the foliage green and camoflauge your plant. This also is a good deterent from wildlife and insects from around your plant. You can spray the pesticide on the plant in vegetative state but I don't once it flowers. I bought mine at the local hydoshop :rollit: Good Luck!

can u tell the frequency of needing to apply the sprays

every so many days? or after it rains?

i read here (by 1 of the pros) that tomato pesticide works good on the ladies and just follow the tomato guidlines and everything will work good would u agree with that? its what im planning on doing

;)

details please on piss

will female piss work even though its low on testosterone

can u save it in a jug

i only grow 1 plant in 1 spot , but im going to have several spots to tend to

any info u have i would like to hear

this year im fightin back, i will try any logical suggestion

pissing works best by peeing in a cirlce around your plants and the higher the better. the deer smell this and believe to be in a preditor's territory. did this last year and had no problems with deer even though i found their tracks about 20 yards away.
its not fool proof but dont cost a dime.

Deer are usually only a problem for small tender plants. once they get to a certain size they are undesireable. Piss works for a day or two but after that it becomes ineffective until you return and remark the area. Fencing will work but a standing fence out in the middle of no where is noticeable. I use to roll up chicken wire and lay it on the grown in a way that it circle the plants. deer will step on it, it will start to give away some and the deer flee. They don't like unsteady ground. Plus the wire can be covered with foilage to make it blend in.

ya piss will work if your going to visit garden daily, but I wouldnt bank on it. I use a combo of a low chicken wire fence dug in to the ground a few inches, and various sticks and local foliage to help create a barrior and camoflage. I bring hemp string, zip ties, fishing line, and stakes and improvise. This is in an area with thick brush. It really depends on the area.

I just got a bottle of coyote urine, that comes with 30 day dispencers for about $12. Havnt tried it yet, but I will this year along with my usual methods.

Solar-powered electric fence with one wire just above ankle height (rabbits and such), one just above knee height, and one just above chest height.

Dog urine may work but I've seen one particular dog in the country "run with" the deer relentlessly for years, they seem to have grown used to them.

For the non vegetarians, hunt them down a bit. They can be canned in gravy. Just don't hunt them ALL.

You know the sound a rattlesnake makes when you disturb it? Deer don't like that at all. Record it and MacGuyver up a tape recorder ran off of a motion detector. Just don't automatically assume that when you visit to tend your girls that the sound you hear is just a recording.

Drive laps around your crop... Around here the deer seem prone to suicide by automobile.

A good reliable product to repel deer and rabbits that not only works well but lasts for approximately 3 months is Deerscram. It's a granulated substance that wont wash away in the rain. ..... Google deerscram.:smokin:

I've used the piss method with good success, plus letting the dog run around. If you don't have a dog, get some shedded fur from a friends dog and leave it around the site. I've heard soap also works as it smell like a human to them.

Solar-powered electric fence with one wire just above ankle height (rabbits and such), one just above knee height, and one just above chest height.

Dog urine may work but I've seen one particular dog in the country "run with" the deer relentlessly for years, they seem to have grown used to them.

For the non vegetarians, hunt them down a bit. They can be canned in gravy. Just don't hunt them ALL.

You know the sound a rattlesnake makes when you disturb it? Deer don't like that at all. Record it and MacGuyver up a tape recorder ran off of a motion detector. Just don't automatically assume that when you visit to tend your girls that the sound you hear is just a recording.

Drive laps around your crop... Around here the deer seem prone to suicide by automobile.

Craziest and best post on deer repellent! I love the car! haha

I bring my german shepard with me and with both of us pissing have had no problems with deer ....We do spend ALOT of time in THE GARDEN ..... ;);)

If I do an outdoor plot , I'll only visit them 3 times before harvest. #1 planting seedlings , #2 seperation of male and female , #3 harvest . The reason why is that continual visitation leaves trails which are highly visible from the air . keep this in mind when doing an outdoor grow ....Safety first !:smokin:

Back
Top Bottom