What to do with sprout after germinating?

tucker99

Been reading a bit on this and not getting definitive answers. I think I may have screwed up. I got feminized seeds from Herbies, Nirvana Crystal. Soaked 1 overnight in straight water and by morning it sunk to the bottom of the shot glass. Took it out and germinated with paper towel in a sandwich bag. In 24-hrs I had about a 3/8" tap root (yesterday). I took it out and immediately put it in my waterfarm, tap root down, under a 16/8 lighting schedule. This morning I didn't see any sprout but it did look like the seed had lifted a bit which could mean the tap root was growing. Am I messing up putting lights on a fresh sprout? I'm using Mars 96 X 3 LED 30" off the medium. Thanks guys!

Thanks Loom, based on your experience when do you think I should be seeing green?

A day or two and the head should lift and stalk will lengthen. Another day or two and the shell should at least open and show the cotyledons (very first single pinnate leaves). You'll be tempted to 'help' by pulling the seed shell off. Don't do it, let it shed it's self.

It also depends on genetics. Some are not as vigorous as others. A 3/8" tap root in 24hrs is pretty good though.

EDIT: What media are you growing in?

Thanks Loom, using a waterfarm. Straight water, PH 6.5.

Ah, ok. Never used that system. I've built several DIY RDWC systems though. You must be using expanded clay pebbles? Did you put the germinated seed in a root riot or rockwool cube, or just place it in the clay? Not sure how that will work out. You'll need to make sure it doesn't dry out.

Your PH is more suited to soil. Hydro likes it down between 5.6-6.0 in my experience, depending on the strain (and most companies PH charts will recommend right around 5.9). Once it's actually growing make a small adjustment and observe for 48hrs then repeat.

That ph is fine to start with... The plant wont mind it a bit, and doesn't need to be adjusted until you add fert. The FNB has buffers, 3% citric acid, lemon juice... Mix up a gal at 400ppm then ck the ph to see what effect the buffer has...
Don't forget to channel the water like i did for as long as it takes to get some roots...

That ph is fine to start with... The plant wont mind it a bit, and doesn't need to be adjusted until you add fert. The FNB has buffers, 3% citric acid, lemon juice... Mix up a gal at 400ppm then ck the ph to see what effect the buffer has...
Don't forget to channel the water like i did for as long as it takes to get some roots...

Thanks Fish, yea I made that little aluminum foil shoot like you and it drips right on the seed. As of this morning it looks like it's ready to bust open, think I see a little crack in it. Can't tell how long the tape root is, got it buried in hydroton. It's been 24 hrs since germination and I'm getting impatient, I need to see green. I was going to hold off on the FNB for 10-days like we've been taught and yea, that's a good idea. The FNB may bring the PH within spec instead of adding PH down. Like to shoot for a PH below 6, ideally about 5.5, currently 6.5. Based on your experience do you think the buffers will lower it that much? When I think buffering I think "maintaining" I didn't think it would lower it especially at 400PPM. Thanks

My water is about 7-7.1 and a 1000-1100 ppm... I always use RO water and a little phosphoric acid to bring it down... I've used lemon juice before i got the acid... I don't know if the fnb buffers at 400ppm will lower it that much... Its best to adjust the ph first..... When the plant gets it's roots down in the water and is feeding, the ph behaves much better.... When i started with WFs i just followed what Scotty said, but i'll have to admit it took me several grows to get a good scrog screen filled the way he did... I always waited a little longer to flower, and it always got out of control....

Back
Top Bottom