What was your MMJ Doctor visit like?

Mr-B

My first post @ 420. great website you all have here.

I'm a new (California) mmj patient and I wanted to share a couple things I've seen in my short time being a mmj patient.

In Jan 09 I was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer. Three weeks later I under went surgery to remove a large tumor in my left hand. The surgery completely removed two fingers and part of my thumb.

Prior to having cancer I suffered with chronic pain for damaged ulnar nerves (7 years). My pain doctor prescribes both MS C*ntin (180mg 3x daily) and D*xedrine (45mg 1x daily), it does help the pain however, it's very expensive.

Both chemo and radiation therapy were prescribed after hand surgery. For those of you that have been through chemo or radiation.. You know how terrible it is. The treatments ended 12 weeks ago today. so far, I'm cancer free.

After reading an article on the California medical marijuana laws, I decided to find a doctor willing to prescribe mmj, I figured if the Dr. thought marijuana might help my chronic pain, I would give it a try.

Immediately upon entering the doctors office, I noticed fifteen to twenty five other people waiting to be seen. Looking around at the other people I noticed that most of them looked like total losers.
None used crutches, canes or even looked as if they were sick. All of them were laughing and wisperering about chronic this and chronic that.

70% were young (under 30), all were males. A few wore baggie pants with stupid looking tennis shoes, you know the kind, the laces are never tied and there all puffed up. A few looked as if they just got out of prison.
I bet most of them didn't have a job, nor were any of them interested in working. Most probably lived at home with their parents.
It took 4 hours to get completly through the process. During that time, I never heard anyone mention they took the day off work or they left early from work to be there.
To be fair, unless you are looking directly at my hands, you would never know I was recovering from cancer. You would notice that I was dressed nice (office style clothing) and I took off early from work for the doctors appointment.

An hour or so after I arrived, I was seen by what I thought was the doctor. I presented three 2" thick envelopes with my medical records i.e xrays, doctors diagnosis and two prescription bottles, both as large as coke cans.

An office questioner that I filled out during my wait was sitting in front of the examiner. I was asked general questions about my health. I opened one of the folders I brought with me and was ubruptly told that she didn't needc to see any of the information, she didn't even bother to look at the prescriptions I brought in.

5 minutes in the examining room (never got examined), I was told to wait with everyone else in the patient lounge, a doctor was going to review my information and they would call my name if and when the doctor approved my use of mmj. So, this person in the examining room wasn't even a doctor although, she did have a stethoscope around her neck (what a joke).

After everyone was seen in the initial consultation, a doctor appeared from the back. In his hands was everyones prescription for mmj along with a little 5minute speech he gave about how to properly use the drug and what to do if you become sick or ill from smoking.

We were handed our perscriptions and i remeber being stunned!
What a joke the last 4 hours really were.
These people didn't care whether you were sick or if mmj would even help you. No, they cared about the $200 office fee they charged you when you walked in the door.

My local dispensary was a little better but not much. A couple old ladies buying medicine to relieve a stomach ailment but other than that, most looked just like the people in the doctors office.

Look, every doctor gets the occasional faker that just wants a prescription to get high but this was above the norm. I thought I was going to see a doctor that would review my medical problems (so far the mmj has really worked) and help me make the decision whether mmj would help relieve the pain. Instead I felt cheapened by the whole thing, it was as if I was part of something shady or even illigal.

I've read many posts @ 420 that helped me realize that there are a lot of folks in the same situation as me. For that, I'm truly thankful. But for those folks who use the system just to get high or grow a few plants are pathetic.

If you want sit around and get high everyday as an adult, then go fight to change the law. The peole using the law illigally are ruining it for those that really benefit from it, and that's why people continue to get busted and sent to jail even thoguh they have a medical card.

I hope they legalize marijuana across the board very soon. I fear the law will be reversed if they don't. They have to get a handle on the corrupt doctors offices and patients, that use the law to benfit their pocket books and life styles rather than helping those that could really benifit from it.

Mr. B

Re: What was your mmj doctors visit like?

Well written, thanks for your experience. I too after many years of having 2500 lbs of trusses dropped oin my left arm. Massive Ulna Damage, resectioned, removing 3/4" lenghth, all TFCC removed, Plated & Screwed. 18 months 3 major surgeries. And all the V*coden I wanted or P*rcosets. Oh yeah all the Pr*tonix and B*xtas & V*oxx too.
I made a decision to go to and see a Dr. for MMJ. This is in Hawaii. I met with the Dr. at a coffee shop. I had all xrays for 3 years of surgeries damage etc, as well as all my other Dr's. files on this. We talked at length, he did review all my Medical Records, examined my Left arm, saw the damage that was done even commented on what a fine job the surgeon did. He explained the laws to me thouroughly. That was 8 years ago. I see another Dr. every year as my orignal Dr. has retired. Today, I see Dr. J and we always go thru much more than my " Chronic Pain" from this accident. We explore new and possible means of pain management thru diet and exercise. As well as always being informed as what is new that we each have to do as a MMJ Patient and Dr. My appointments run an average of 45 minutes after examination.
I believe each state will be different as is each Dr.'s approach with each patient.
In time I am sure there will be more focus in the initial and follow up appointments. As is in Hawaii. No Dr. can prescribe cannabis, it is a recommendation to use cannabis here in Hawaii. The Dr. must be in full compliance and hold and be up to date on all issuing licenses he or she has from the State.
I think in California, there are thousands more MMJ patients than this Island has in total resident population. 150K live here on this Island.
I wish you well and a better experience. The main objective is that you have a choice and there is a procedure to go thru, it may be new to some and crude in appearance, but all the same, they are here to help and assisit us. It does feel better to know that I have a MMJ recommedation to use cannabis, from and by a Dr. It also takes away the old fears and anxieties associated with decades of the old Hogwash & B.S on cannabis.
Best to you in the future. I know it is as you do have that choice now and legally.

Im sure if you saw My Husband and I in that office you would assume the same of us...My husband has two herniated disc's in his back...but looks totally normal, healthy and like a UFC fighter...I agree some abuse the right, and may ruin it for the rest of us, but please dont assume everyone who LOOKS like they dont need it, are just there abusing the system.

That sucks. I too live in CA and had a completely different experience. I've never had cancer, nor have I ever been diagnosed with anything comparable to anything you've been through. I have been diagnosed with PTS and manic depression. I was put on im*pramine, and after developing a physical dependency I quit and swore off any more medication. I did how ever smoke pot and had smoked pot for most of my adolescence and young adult life; it truly does help me with stress.

At one point or another in my early 20's I'm sure I looked similar to the people you described in the waiting room, although I was raised to have a little more common sense than what you described.

I was 27 when I got my mmj recommendation, and I waited so long because I felt awkward or like a "looser" when people like you were out there that "really needed" meds. But at this point, I'm close to finishing school, makin babies and all that non-topic stuff, so I decided better safe than sorry.

I had a short wait in the room and saw my doctor within about 20 minutes (and yes kids where asking about the chronic).

My doctor spent the next half hour having a discussion on the topic after I explained my anxiety in regards to even asking for the recommendation. I won’t bore you with the details but he spoke to me like I was a human being and made me feel like I wasn’t alone. He claimed that in CA roughly 50% of recommendations are for people like me with depression or anxiety related issues, 25% chronic pains, and 25% for the terminally ill.

You or others may feel that my reasons are asinine or an excuse to get high and to some degree there’s plenty of truth in this. What are my alternatives pharmaceuticals, alc*hol, or “just deal with it” like my pops would suggest?

Again, it sucks that you had such a negative experience, but I do think you and your case may serve to help point out why this plant shouldn’t be illegal in the first place.

Greengo840:
I was afraid that my post might make a few angry and for that I'm sorry. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt someones feelings or act as if I was better than anyone else. The fact is, I'm not.

I own a small business with + -70 employees. I also have three kids 22, 19 and 7. Owning a business, I get to see all types of people. Some are lazy as hell and only apply for job to get a week or two's pay then quit... but, most are everyday hard working folks trying to make a living and leave something behind for their children.

The stupid grins and lame conversations going on around me that day told me a lot about the people in the room.

Really, I could care less who gets high. I don't drug test my employees because working for me doesn't make your personal time my business.
A lot of employers think differently but, as long as they come to work everyday (sober) and perform the job I hired them to do, then were cool.

Thank you for the replied to the thread everyone. I really appreciate the concern for my health.

Mr. B

As far as Oncologists goes it seems like the more established ones are more main stream and are not willing to go out on a limb to sign the forms here in Colorado. The younger Oncologists do not seem to have any problem at all with Medical MJ and are more than happy to sign the application. In Boulder Colorado I was told that 75% of the chemo patients are Medical MJ patients. It is funny that the Oncology Dept will not discuss Medical MJ until you bring it up from your side.

Mr-B, I appreciate your post. I started using MMJ about 3 1/2 years ago for chronic pain. I've been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in the lumbar and cervical spine, and have been on opioids for many years. I wanted to try to use cannabis with opioids in order to avoid increasing opioid tolerance. I went to Medicann in Santa Cruz, and most lately San Jose with my medical folder of my history and recent MRI scans.

I had heard stories of what you described. But, the office waiting room, although full, was quiet, and looked liked a doctor's waiting room. The average patient was older (I'm 51), and many were with canes or were obviously debilitated. There were some younger people, but they were the exception, and they were dressed well, not looking like gangsters or thugs as you witnessed.

The doctor I have been seeing is a well respected doctor in the cannabis medical field, and spent a good 20 minutes with me. Prior to my visit, I did not use MMJ, and I think this is unusual as most people that visit and get a recommendation already use cannabis, and are looking to legalize their position (the doctor mentioned that 95% already use cannabis prior to their visit!) She asked me many questions, and asked that I keep a diary so that I could provide data for a research paper she was writing. I think this paper will get published in the near future.

So, it sounds like what you saw is what 60 Minutes saw when they reported on the situation with MMJ. If cannabis ever does become a schedule II or III controlled drug, then doctors will have to write real prescriptions, whereas today they only can write recommendations. Prescriptions will need to be filled at a pharmacy, and scheduled drugs are monitored by the DEA quite closely. I think this will then cause medical cannabis to be more like what people had envisioned, and although there will always be people going for meds for recreational purposes, there will be less.

But, I do also feel that cannabis should be legalized as it is one of the safest drugs on the planet. It doesn't make sense that aspirin and Tylenol are OTC, while cannabis is schedule I.

i lucked out with my doc. hes into carlos castaneda, auras and "seeing" just like me. its tough to talk to doctors because most of them are convinced they are the masters of the universe and that medicine comes from big pharma, not the earth. it nice to meet the "natural" "quantum" thinking docs, not the in"doc"trinated know it all book doctors. canada is the first country(and only still)country to completely legalise cannabis for medical purposes. unfortunatly most docs here ignore that fact.

Like Mr.B‘s experience, my visit took about 4 or 5 hours, most of which was waiting with about 25 or so other people. New people came all the time as others got their papers and left.

The actual visit with the doctor took about 20 minutes and he really did talk about my condition and how MJ could possibly help. He was very professional and believed in the work he was doing.

Besides me with my walker, another old guy in a wheelchair, and a guy with his arm in a sling, nobody showed any “symptoms“.

I couldn’t make any judgement about how sick anyone might have been because many illnesses such as cancer, AIDS, and various psychological problems that MJ can help are not obvious from just looking at a person.

Even though sitting through the 300 mile round trip, and the long wait, was very painful for me, and I think the $200 fee is a rip off, I am glad that I am now able to pursue another method of pain relief which hopefully will let me get off of the opiates which is presently my only choice.

I know I could have smoked anyway, but I was convicted of possession 15 years ago and haven’t smoked since. At least now, being a little more “legal” I will feel less aprehensive about smoking again.

I hope that smoking weed helps me and the others regardless of why we were there or what our physical conditions, motivations or lifestyles may be.

Great stories and I like the way everyone is aware of the issues with the current MMJ model.
Also remember most of the canna doctors are considered lower end physicians.

I too noticed the look of other said patients.
But I myself did notice some obvious ill people also. I myself usually look "normal" and healthy so I too realize looks don't always say ill nor disabled.
I also noticed a father and son duo who were getting their recs at the same time.

I believe giving recommendations to the whole planet who don't need them is worth just one person who does need it and gets treated is worth it.

The doctor even asked if they could de-staple my medical records to make copies for their records.

I myself find the fees for a recommendation is simply extortion money for personal protection. At least with current medical models.

I have to say I am also somewhat curious about others treatment for ulnar nerves damage or peripheral neuropathy?

I find that certain cannabis causes more finger curl and tense muscle pain. Especially lower latitude Sativas.

Also do you think or feel you have had nerve protection from the cannabis use?
Seeing as the US health Dept. has a patent on cannabis as a neuroprotectant. Patent #6630507.
Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants - US Patent 6630507 Abstract

I myself believe that cannabis has kept my nerves more protected than when not medicating (my first episode was in a long non medicating time) and also think that it has helped my dead or broken nerves to reconnect and thus enable body parts to start functioning again. As my neurologist finally said my non-functioning nerve probably would not ever heal, when I asked the same question I had ask the year before and he wouldn't answer me.

My theory is based on my "Supposed" inherited condition and I have a non canna relative who is younger and in a lot worse shape, thou diagnosed with Fibromyalgia instead?

I know my badly phrased and jumbled post and comments are somewhat off topic but it's not very often I can possibly get my ideas and beliefs confirmed or disproved. By simply asking rather than medical terminology reading, which isn't answering any of my questions cause of the Gov. suppression of research, while they secretly and immorally develop their canna based meds.

My wife first went to the THC Foundation and saw a Dr. Eisenbud (what's in a name?), who, for $200, completed her paperwork. We broached the topic this year with her primary care physician, who completed the paper work with a smile and said he was glad it helped. We paid our regular $20 copay for the visit. That is how it should be done.

Been seeing a shrink for almost two years, was being treated for bi-polar/manic depressive. He helped me quit drinking, sober for a almost two years. Smoked for most of my life, tried to quit that too and all hell broke loose. Had many intense sessions in the past fews months and out of the blue he diagnosed me with PTSD. Gets alot deeper but don't really want to get to far into it.

Just got legal after 20 some years of using for nerve damage from a fragmented disc, and as far as the "doctor" basically it was give me the 200 heres your paperwork. My primary care dr when asked about it said "everybodys going to jail"

Recently I was diagnosed with lymphoma and I am undergoing treatment. I've enjoyed mj on and off since 20, but to get a script and become part of the whole mmj movement was exciting. Finally, I wouldn't be braking the law.

After doing a bit of research to find the cheapest mmj Dr., I found a place in LA that charged $45...WOW! Before moving to Ca. I was in Las vegas where they charge $500 for a recommendation.

I wasn't surprised to see it was actually a Dr. office. Needless to say it probably could have used a coat of paint but non the less it was a medical facility. I didn't pay much attention to the others in the waiting room, but it was very similar to Mr. B's experience. Seems like anyone can get a recommendation. My only concern is this might lead to abuse, in turn, may ruin it for those who need to be legal.

Overall, I had fun and Lo and behold, they had a dispensary next door.

Greengo840:
I was afraid that my post might make a few angry and for that I'm sorry. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt someones feelings or act as if I was better than anyone else. The fact is, I'm not.

I own a small business with + -70 employees. I also have three kids 22, 19 and 7. Owning a business, I get to see all types of people. Some are lazy as hell and only apply for job to get a week or two's pay then quit... but, most are everyday hard working folks trying to make a living and leave something behind for their children.

The stupid grins and lame conversations going on around me that day told me a lot about the people in the room.

Really, I could care less who gets high. I don't drug test my employees because working for me doesn't make your personal time my business.
A lot of employers think differently but, as long as they come to work everyday (sober) and perform the job I hired them to do, then were cool.

Thank you for the replied to the thread everyone. I really appreciate the concern for my health.

Mr. B

Great story.

My Girlfriend has a company that can grow as big as we want it to (I would not think we will ever have 70 employees). She is licensed and bonded but every one of the employees we hire are going to be MJ users. People that get discriminated against in the rest of the world. We are compelled to explain to everyone that the bonding that we have is the goose that lays the golden eggs and they better protect that goose.

Thanks for the great thread everyone. A lot of people have apprehension going to the doctor, worse if you are going to get a MMJ rec

Back
Top Bottom